[SOLVED] Click, pops and cracks when recording/playback with interface.

• Hi KemperitianZ !!!

If any of you expercienced (or heard than someone experienced) clicks, pops, spikes, cracks when recording to the interface (or even at playbeck in my case) - I think I found solution.

I marked it [SOLVED] although I haven't found the solution directly through the forum - user Thianzu suggested me this on PM.

I have Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface on Windows 7.

I tried :

- disabling WIFI interface (turning off WIFI)
    - disabling laptop onboard soundcard
    - disabling ethernet, modem, firewire in Device Manager
    - using High Performance power plan in Control Panel -> Power Options
    - disabling in BIOS Intel Virtualization Technology
    - changing buffer size in ASIO settings
    - installing ASIO4ALL drivers

Nothing helped - I was having clicks when recording in DAW, even when playing YouTube or mp3. I was about to kick this nasty Focusrite.

The solution was this - downloading custom power plan from this Presonus Website.

You have to download small zip file with custom power profile. After importing this profile using prepared script, you have to choose it in Control Panel -> Power Options.

[Blocked Image: http://s29.postimg.org/b8qfr01xj/audio_proc.png]

It works. It just works. All is clear and silent now!

So spread the word. If it affects you, check if this works for you.

• My Dell desktop had a power saving setting as a default which was causing me a lot of pops and clicks - disabling any power saving and also disabling speedstep etc in the BIOS is the way to go. Not sure the Presonus app is necessary but if it works then great. Also if you have any antivirus or backup apps running in the background stop them.

• Yes it is all about those fancy powersaving features of modern CPUs. I don't have SpeedStep in BIOS - I have so called Intel Virtualization Technology, but turning this off didn't help. To be precise this is not Presonus app, it is command line script which imports power plan file into Windows system and sets it active:

powercfg -import %CD%\perfconf.pow 7fa10b14-1fe8-492e-a298-6175c4f934f9
    powercfg -setactive 7fa10b14-1fe8-492e-a298-6175c4f934f9

I use Malwarebytes antivirus - at the moment I am scanning my system, and have NO POPS&CLICK. With extensive usage of CPU by antivirus or any app you can encounter playback freezes (no sound for a moment) but this pops/clicks/spikes were during playback.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgflip.com/qwos4.jpg]

• hahaaaa, Skoczy I'm glad I could help.

If you want to get more silent from your laptop after you selected audio processing, try to find key "CPU throttling laptop" on google you can find some apps to slow down your CPU directly in Windows without Bias integration.

Cheers

• Yes it is all about those fancy powersaving features of modern CPUs. I don't have SpeedStep in BIOS - I have so called Intel Virtualization Technology, but turning this off didn't help. To be precise this is not Presonus app, it is command line script which imports power plan file into Windows system and sets it active:

powercfg -import %CD%\perfconf.pow 7fa10b14-1fe8-492e-a298-6175c4f934f9
    powercfg -setactive 7fa10b14-1fe8-492e-a298-6175c4f934f9

I use Malwarebytes antivirus - at the moment I am scanning my system, and have NO POPS&CLICK. With extensive usage of CPU by antivirus or any app you can encounter playback freezes (no sound for a moment) but this pops/clicks/spikes were during playback.

Love the 'get in there' baby. Anyway antivirus is a big culprit usually if it is scanning your individual files. When it scans an audiofile that may be in use you can get pops and clicks during playback.

• Love the 'get in there' baby. Anyway antivirus is a big culprit usually if it is scanning your individual files. When it scans an audiofile that may be in use you can get pops and clicks during playback.

Since I am using SSD disk, my system runs smoothly. On traditional spinning hard disk, extensive file access like antivirus scanning files could causing freezes, but this is not the case with SSD.

• Yes sir @skoczy, I did that.

When you run it, a window pops up for a VERY short time then goes away on itself. Then when I check to see the power option, it isn't there :S

Open command line as administrator:

Go to the directory that you have unpacked the files using command line: (for example)

cd c:\Users\ezerath\Desktop\power_settings

Then run the script from command line:

addconfig.cmd

You should have output in the same command line window (it won't close) - what's the result?

• Not 100% sure I understand.

I open command prompt.

Enter:

cd c:\Users\ezerath\Desktop\power_settings

Press enter.

Then
    addconfig.cmd

Press enter?

@skoczy

• 1) Open command prompt as administrator

2) Change directory to where you have unpacked the files, in my case it would be

cd d:\111

[Blocked Image: https://s23.postimg.org/q3vt45vi3/perf.jpg]

3) Run addconfig.cmd script

addconfig.cmd

and observe the output - in my case the script worked instantly even on Windows 10
    power scheme has been imported and applied

[Blocked Image: https://s30.postimg.org/chnxbavw1/perf2.jpg]

• Important to note that this is only for Windows 7 and Vista. For Windows 8/10 rather than attempting to use the prepackaged profile simply make the settings they suggest as shown here.

Additionally they also offer the suggestion to simply use the built-in Windows 'high performance' power profile which pretty much sets everything as it should be for maximum performance for audio too. This suggestion is shown here along with some other things they recommend in general. Using the 'high performance' setting is what I do.

• Important to note that this is only for Windows 7 and Vista. For Windows 8/10 rather than attempting to use the prepackaged profile simply make the settings they suggest as shown here.

Additionally they also offer the suggestion to simply use the built-in Windows 'high performance' power profile which pretty much sets everything as it should be for maximum performance for audio too. This suggestion is shown here along with some other things they recommend in general. Using the 'high performance' setting is what I do.

I have just applied this script in Windows 10 and new power plan was applied immediately, what I observed by 100% screen brightness. I also checked Power Settings in control panel and the power plan was there.