[SOLVED] Click, pops and cracks when recording/playback with interface.

• Sometimes this kind of issue is not limited to the audio interface, but rather incompatibility of the audio interface with other components in your computer. Had a similar issue when hooking up my Fireface to a non-Texas Instruments firewire card. And while that didn't cause trouble with Cubase, I had all kinds of issues with Samplitude.

It's really frustrating, but manufacturers do not check every possible combination of hardware with their interfaces. It could just be your bad luck that it is causing these audio glitches with your PC.

To check this out, install the interface drivers and hook it up to another PC and see whether those cracks and pops disappear. My feeling is that they would.

• Scarlett Focusrite 6i6, 2nd gen.

Sounds like you're having the same issues as I do with the 2nd gen Scarlett.
    Are you by chance using an AMD-based system?
    I suspect that there's some sort of incompatibility between AMD based systems and the new Focusrite cards. But I'm still trying to figure this out so don't take what I said for granted :)

• Sounds like you're having the same issues as I do with the 2nd gen Scarlett.Are you by chance using an AMD-based system?
    I suspect that there's some sort of incompatibility between AMD based systems and the new Focusrite cards. But I'm still trying to figure this out so don't take what I said for granted :)

Hey, no i'm not. I'm using an i7 4790k. i've increased the buffer really high and that seems to have helped but not sure if that's what my problem is....

• Hey, no i'm not. I'm using an i7 4790k. i've increased the buffer really high and that seems to have helped but not sure if that's what my problem is....

Having to raise the buffer to 1024 really defeats the purpose of having a high-end audio interface - The idea is to lower latency. I can even get better results with a Creative Soundblaster Audigy Z2 that I have installed on the PC at my parent's' place.

Just to double check, you are using the latest drivers for your interface, for your computer and for your DAW, right?

Also, what kind of USB connection are you hooked up to? Is it USB1 or 2 or 3?

• One more happy "Audio processing" plan user.

Although I consider myself to be quite the PC expert, I could not cure the random S/PDif pops and crackles between my Scarlett 2nd gen interface and my KPA.
    Even though I had disabled core parking, power saving features, had a super fast 8-core machine, OC'd, plenty of RAM, a fast SSD etc. and an optimally configured Win 10 Pro 64-Bit system, I kept getting random pops and clicks. Even when setting a huge buffer of 2048 samples...

Have never had a problem with the 1st gen Scarlett, but the 2nd gen, I just could not get to working correctly with the Kemper.

Even Focusrite support could not find a solution after I send them my system specs and all the settings I had manully set.

Well, I checked out this magic power-plan, and it appears to be working. One week with no S/Pdif artefacts and still going strong.
    Even set the buffer to 16 samples and it works beautifully...

• Wow, great to hear @RookGarner - so this is something that is set in Power Options in control panel.

I think you could isolate the reason of this clicks just by compating power plan options, or switching some options on/off.

So this click were not due to S/PDIF cables, Kemper settings were ok, ASIO settings also were not culprit.

Anyway, thanks for reporting! I'm happy that you got rid of that nasty clicks ;)

• I guess my last post was preliminary.
    After 2 weeks of testing, got the clicks back - although they are less and even more random than before.

Focusrite support could not help as well. Oh well, I guess it's time for a different USB audio solution...

• yes. it's definitely the Scarlett. I did many additional and new tests over the last months and it does that even with analog connections (e.g. simple analog drive pedals)

They had an update a few days ago (been waiting for months for this after support told me they would address this issue on the next update. Well, no luck! Yes, the hickups improved a bit and are less than before but it still happens. Just not as much. That's it for me, I'm done with the Scarlett range!!)

• yes sounds like a usb connection or buffer issue. I havent researched it much. All i want is a small usb spdif interface to record on my laptop

Here's a couple:
    SPL Crimson (2 mic inputs, spdif, monitor controller)
    Audient id22 (2 mic inputs, spdif, monitor controller)
    Steinberg UR28 (4 mic inputs, spdif, monitor controller, DSP reverb)

All of them around 400-500, 5 star reviews on thomann. Out of those my choise would be the SPL.

• The machine I want it for will be win 10 but also planning on getting an older macbook in a bit. I'll research stability a bit. I like the size most of all. I'd mainly use spdif but like that I can record from a mic too. No phantom power but can get another small box for that