Request for comment: saquatch|project Bigfoot

• Hi Folks,
    here's what kept me busy for some time, many hours spent instead of playing, but it was a fun journey. :rolleyes:
    Excuse the shabby camera, editing, yadayada, summertime is too precious not to be out on the bike.

cheers, rock on, braaap,
    Shredd

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Incredible - I'm always awestruck by people who can go this deep into the technology and make it work. If you are as good at guitar playing then you are as good as Steve Vai.

My favourite part was the bluetooth comms to and from the kemper.

I suspect that there will be an official ipad wireless editor one day - and that's the most interesting thing for me in the video.

• Amazing! The potential is huge, especially (to me) the mobile editing functionality.

I still can't understand why Kemper isn't making this kind of an effort to provide, after over 3 and a half years, some kind of graphical editing program.
    (And if they have been, then why the complete cone of silence around it?)

Edited once, last by Gtr65 ().

• Thanks for the kind words guys, I am really happy with my contraption, it just works(tm). This is the 28th incarnation, a neverending story... the grass is always greener. Again and again I find methods and techniques to better my code, optimize, speed up, abstract, refactor... with he luxury of working without a deadline, because here's always had a known good version to gig with.
    Allenhuish, If I had put this amount of energy and dedication into my playing, I'd be playing Paganini's capriccios with my teeth by now.
    I started with arduino IDE, then Kate, and just before my head imploded, moved on to learn C++, cmake, KDevelop. When the 1.5" display proved too tiny and impractical I switched to a landfill mobile running a VT100 terminal with ASCII-art. Ah the eighties were the times... Logical progression: learn Java and android programming to make a display app. It seemed a good idea to use Processing, which is basically the ancestor of arduinoIDE, plus it can generate android code.
    The plan to put a phone on the floor in some shady dive is debateable, but for now the whole program logic is running within the constrains of the tiny 16MHz atmel, which makes the display optional and a loss not gig-stopping ;)
    The V.30 prototype does things different. For one, I am unifying the entire codebase into Eclipse.
    The floorboard receives midi from KPA, forwards it via bluetooth to the mobe at 115kbit, so there is room to inject footswitch keypress sysex into the stream.
    All logic happens on the mobe which talks back midi to the flobo. The flobo parses that and drives the LED array and 7segs. The display on the mobe becomes just another tactile input, and as such, the base for more complex interaction.
    I.e. each fx slot display becomes a button that enters an editable parameter page, etc. But this whole editing thing is a metric ton of work and possibly made obsolete by somehing mothership might or might not be brewing in silence. Don't try to read anything into this, I have no idea.
    Atm I'm onto more interesting stuff like the theremin angle, using proximity sensor and camera image recognition to emulate an xp pedal. Or four.
    And this and that. Better layout, big tuner, talent mode... did I say 'neverending story'?

Damian, I was tempted for a moment to post this on #bum4remote, (I am guitarist, coding is a mere distraction), and winning a remote could have freed me from this spell. But I like my own remote better and I am too lazy to SEO :D

For the last few months coding is on the backburner, because the thing just works(tm). Remote editing is not really a priority for me.
    There seems no horizon ever in programming, there's always more to explore.
    Much like chess playing, or Go.
    Pretty much like music or guitar playing. An endless, ever fascinating brainspace, with the added bonus of being entertaining to the listener. And that's what it's all about, innit?

Thus I shut up and play my guitar,

cheers, find the pocket,
    Shredd

• There is no practical way to build this below "boutique" price, it's an order of magnitude beyond a DIY TS-808 clone in everyhing.
    You do the math, somewhere between a Behringer TS and a Klon. With an added zero.

Not even considering costs of development and post-sale effort & expenditures that come along with an ethical conduct of business with regards to service and warranty, let alone software maintenance.

Whereas the bill of materials is <=50 eurones plus one of those obsolete digitech, zoom, whathaveyou floorjigmabobs.

BTW, hire, chopsticking the KPA for a bit made me very very humble about my code-fu. I am so out of that league that any aspirations of coding in a commercial setting would end in tears.
    My yC binary firmware file is a bit over 22kbyte.
    The KPA ROM is 7160kbyte.
    I cannot even brain something this size.

And now I want to try this sleep thing they keep talking about...
    testing...two.....four,
    Shredd

• I would actually recommend that you find a way to map out your breadboard to an official schematic, and get some test boards printed based on your schematics. If you do that, you'd probably chop the board's footprint by at least half, and you'd have a beautiful chip that you've built. Reproducing this for clients who already own this board would be a matter of them shipping it to you, your costs for a printed board + wiring time, and load up the software that you have. If you can figure out a way to load up the firmware via Bluetooth or by USB, you can provide firmware updates to users.

That said, anything of this nature will suck up your time and your life. But you could make some good money on this, especially if you adapted it to work with other popular units on the market (Fractal, Line 6, Eleven Rack even, etc.), or adapted it to work similarly with a Behringer FCB1010. I'd pay decent money to make that POS controller worthwhile with a great display, as a viable backup for what I currently have.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack