Distortion Loop vs. Mono Loop

• So I never used any loops but just picked up an analog boost pedal. I want to use it in a loop from the KPA, so I can reamp via SPDIF easily. I was using Distortion Loop, but noticed the extra noise gate on it, which I'd like to disable. If I'm using my loop as the first effect in my chain (Stomp A), is there any benefit to using Distortion Loop vs. Mono Loop? as far as I know, the only difference is that the distortion loop will
    A) enable a noise gate that cannot be disabled or adjusted
    B) retain the volume of the signal out through the loop send at whatever point in the signal chain you place it

• I actually don't see anything about an additional gate on the dist loop in the documentation. Also I would say your 'b' point slightly differently (at least I had a hard time understanding which is why I looked it up to clarify for myself).

From the manual - The distortion loop differs from the other loop functions in that any volume boosts of preceding effects will be present on the loop send (what you would normally expect with physical devices in series) where as the other loop types don't treat preceding boosts this way. Instead any volume boosts preceding the loop will be applied after the return so this way preceding devices won't boost the send on these type loops.

So it really gets down to the distortion loop lets you overdrive the send with preceding devices and the other loop types don't. This sounds to me like the only difference in the distortion loop versus the other types.

• yeah, that's what I thought. there is no documentation on the noise gate, but it is definitely there, and there are other posts about it. Wikpa.org also mentions it. Quite bizarre. I wish I could just disable it, but in this case, it wouldn't matter anyway.