Internal Backup Battery Replacement

• Since I have my KPA for nearly three years, I wonder what happens when the internal backup battery is empty. I think that the only battery in the Kemper is the CMOS battery, which regulates data / time - but I'm not quite sure. It would be very uncomfortable, if the KPA will not boot at a gig as a result of a dead battery or has forgotten all sounds and settings.
    What should I do in the case of a empty internal backup battery? Can I change the battery without having to send the unit in for repair? To open the device will void the warranty - nevertheless it would be disproportionate to have to ship the unit to change only the battery.
    Therefore, I would be interested what Kemper recommends in case of a dead internal backup battery.

Play it like you mean it.

• For sure Real Time Clock loses time. Not sure about what happens to existing rigs and settings, but I think they are saved in non volatile memory, so you won't lose them. But that's my guess. I'm also interested in details...

• The official recommendation is simple: Take it to your dealer or to a authorized service facility. Support can supply details on request.
    Chances are the battery will last a long time. 5-7 years are not uncommon, though this vastly differs, for instance if you frequently leave your Profiler in a cold rehearsal room for a week. IF the battery is down, the rigs you've stored are still save but you should replace it immediately because some functions might behave erratic.
    Opening the housing voids warranty, as you already pointed out. If you still come to the conclusion that you want to give a replacement a try, let me just point out that replacing the battery is not as easy as on many PC computers. It will take time and you will have to be skilled to perform that task.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• One thing is to make sure you have everything backed up on two separate flash drives and that everything is up-to-date, if the Kemper has to be sent away to have a battery changed.

When I do a OS update, after doing the update, I use the second flash drive to copy everything to it as a safe guard.

Does anyone know where I would send my Kemper from Fort Myers, Florida for a battery change when I need it, please?
    Thank you!
    Stephen

• The official recommendation is simple: Take it to your dealer or to a authorized service facility. Support can supply details on request.
    Chances are the battery will last a long time. 5-7 years are not uncommon, though this vastly differs, for instance if you frequently leave your Profiler in a cold rehearsal room for a week. IF the battery is down, the rigs you've stored are still save but you should replace it immediately because some functions might behave erratic.
    Opening the housing voids warranty, as you already pointed out. If you still come to the conclusion that you want to give a replacement a try, let me just point out that replacing the battery is not as easy as on many PC computers. It will take time and you will have to be skilled to perform that task.

I would like to request those instruction you mentioned. to what address do I send a request?

thanks

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I would like to request those instruction you mentioned. to what address do I send a request?
    thanks

opening the housing VOIDS warranty. only certified repair center should do so. that's why we only send out instructions to certified repair centers.

• ok. but:
    1) my kpa is out of warranty
    2) I'm a sort of technician
    3) I'm official italian endorser for kpa distributor

In other words, what I want to avoid is getting into the issue and wait weeks just to change a battery. being a pro player makes you allergic to even some days stops!

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• In other words, what I want to avoid is getting into the issue and wait weeks just to change a battery. being a pro player makes you allergic to even some days stops!

Even if the battery is dead you can play a gig without issues. From what we can see, those hold a long while, 5-7 years are not untypical.

• What should I do in the case of a empty internal backup battery

The clock would not work, that's all. Sounds&Settings are not battery backed, they are stored in NAND flash (like a USB thumbdrive, which also has no battery). Even removing the battery for months wouldn't change the sounds etc.

In case the battery is empty, you are getting an error message, that can be skipped and the profiler can be used for playback without any problem.

• The clock would not work, that's all. Sounds&Settings are not battery backed, they are stored in NAND flash (like a USB thumbdrive, which also has no battery). Even removing the battery for months wouldn't change the sounds etc.

In case the battery is empty, you are getting an error message, that can be skipped and the profiler can be used for playback without any problem.

What I suppose would be affected also, would be importing rigs into Kemper, because since you have this "Last imported" rigs list, it must use some timestamp related to import date/time of the profile.

How would you display only last imported rigs, if without the clock while importing you don't know which are the last ones :)

I wonder if then the import procedure should/will be forbidden then, because unexpected behavior may occur in my opinion. Maybe we would have so called GSOD...

Even more - would actual profiling process work? How can you save the rig of profiled amp onto a Kemper if you don't have any timestamp?

• This discussion reminds me of the millenium speculation about what erratic behaviour computers would display.

Y2K problem was connected to the fact, that in older systems the year part of the date was saved as 2 digits (to save the memory...) 1900 was the same as 2000. After year 99 the next one was 00 - so you(computer) couldn't distinguish is it 2000 or 1900?

This discussion may sound similar because it concerns time, but it is not, since the year in Kemper is stored as YYYY.

The question is: what happens when you will try to store the rig on Kemper, without having working clock. The procedure which writes the Rig to the NAND memory must "ask" the Real Time Clock "hello, what time is it?"

• This discussion reminds me of the millenium speculation about what erratic behaviour computers would display.

Those of us in the IT-business 97-00 worked day and night to make the passing unnoticable for the masses. Which was okay with me, cause it paid for 2 of my les pauls :D There was acyually a lot of issues, but all of them easily fixed or replaced :)

... if the battery is down, the rigs you've stored are still save but you should replace it immediately because some functions might behave erratic.

Firstly, thank you G String for that precise information. Please forgive me for asking the following question, as it's not a reflection on you but the design of the Kemper itself:

Is it just me or does this sound ridiculous to everyone else? I've never in 35 years had to send any piece of gear off to a service centre to change its battery. Not once, ever. To me, this sounds absurd.

Help me out here, folks. Please.

• Is it just me or does this sound ridiculous to everyone else? I've never in 35 years had to send any piece of gear off to a service centre to change its battery. Not once, ever. To me, this sounds absurd.

The warranty voids if you open the Profiler. This is true for most electric devices. You see stickers like "No user serviceable parts inside" everywhere. Therefore this is the only thing I can recommend because i'm advising here wearing my "Kemper head". But we are all grown up human beings and you should know: this has nothing to do with how easy it is or if one can replace the battery by himself.

• Thank you, G String. I trust that you understand that I was not trying to be difficult.

In situations where such a sticker has been present in the past, I've been "instructed" to ignore it for the purpose of changing batteries, this being the only "exceptional" task I as the end user was "allowed" to undertake.

I'd have thought the same would apply to the Kemper. For someone in my situation, one of prolonged illness and no transport options, such an undertaking, that of having the unit couriered to and from a qualified service centre, costs both time and a "hurtful" amount of money. I'd love to think that I'd have better options, as I have had for other gear, in this sort of situation.

I realise you might have to wear your Kemper Hat™ here, so I won't push you further on this. Thank you again, mate.

• Those of us in the IT-business 97-00 worked day and night to make the passing unnoticable for the masses. Which was okay with me, cause it paid for 2 of my les pauls :D There was acyually a lot of issues, but all of them easily fixed or replaced :)

Year 2038 comes and it's gonna be tougher game that Y2K. After 19 January 2038, Unix based systems will "show" 13 December 1901, 'cause time counter limitation.