Decisons Decisions

• Yay first post.

OK so I am considering upgrading my Line6 PodXT to a Kemper Rack - big jump in both functionality and price obviously

I am struggling to justify the expenditure even though I am going to get a very good price on it when I do pull the trigger.

So my question is this: users of Line6 units, have you noticed a definite increase in sound quality with the Kemper? any regrets?

I will be using it for band demos and ultimately tracking for our next EP/Album + my own projects and my own

Thanks for your help - hoping to make my decision in the next few weeks :)

James

• I had a POD HD500X and although it can sound good - it's a whole different ballgame going to the Kemper. FX are easy to make sound good but the amp modelling in the POD is a world away from the profiles you get with a Kemper - plus for the recording aspect you won't need anything else! Gain sounds on the POD left me using it as an fx stomp box with my amps own sounds being used in 4CM.
    I also find the KPA a lot more intuitive than the POD due to the layout and logical menus.

• If you get a chance to upgrade like this just do it, if you later decide to go back to Line 6 (I'm chuckling pretty hard when I say this) the Kemper's hold their value very well.

• That was my thought, that I could always sell it on (unlikely though)

My reason for asking is whilst an old piece of equipment, the Pod range still get great exposure in the industry

I think I am pretty much there on my decision, I am going to be borrowing one on Monday for a few days to put it through it's paces and then go from there :)

very much looking forward to becoming an active member on this forum :)

James

• Hi, take a look at the vids here in the forum and on youtube. Hear the soundfiles in the threads. Its a big difference to the line 6 units. I played a 19" Pod for 2 years and there is nothing to compare with the kemper.
    I have stored some rig examples on soundcloud, check it out if you like.
    You can use the link under my sign.

cheers
    Frank

• I bought mine purely to keep me amused whilst I awaited the release of the Helix, fully intending to sell it on at a small loss come the day. I was astounded by the quality of sound that I now have with the toaster. So much so, that now I don't even think about the Helix anymore. And as for re-selling my KPA? Never!!

• I came from a POD HD500 & DT25 amp to a Kemper Powerhead.

I'm going to contradict what everyone else has said, it wasn't a night and day experience for me. In fact I was quite underwhelmed the first time I plugged in the Kemper.

The Line 6 stuff is genuinely capable of producing brilliant tones. I moved on from it because the amp models weren't really what I was looking for and it seemed to excel at styles that I don't cover. That said, I've sold the Line 6 DT amp and only use the HD500 as a foot controller now. The Kemper definitely has the edge over the Line 6 HD series but it isn't huge. Whether that distance is worth the money is only something you can decide.

• Night and day for me. Owned every POD since version 1.0, including the Pro and some floorboard versions.

It's not only the tube amp-like response and sound, but the immediacy of feedback whilst playing. Over at the L6 forum folks have told me that they notice no lag when playing the HD500. For me, it has the most annoying throughput latency of any POD I've owned thus far.

The Kemper, OTOH, responds instantly; the difference is like night and day, and gives the impression that whatever you're playing through has come to life. Incredible.

• I owned a Pod HD500X too. Whilst there were some decent sounds in there, I spent half of my life on my knees fiddling about in a painful menu system that I never really got to grips with. Pretty much just ended up using stock presets 'cos it was such a pain to use. Okay, there is plenty of deep-editing available on the KPA, but the main bones of it is simplicity itself. I can pretty much dial in what I need in little to no time. And it feels incredibly organic when playing. I found the pod to be quite sterile in comparison.

• I also made the switch from Line 6 to Kemper. I have owned almost every rig they have put out up until the HD500 (had the X3 for about 2 minutes before switching right back to my XT live).
    Haven't looked back other than using my XT live as a back up that stays in my car lol