Who is using Pure Cab always on? And why?

• ..indespensable as per Rig feature.. IMHO.. I cannot use it ON on only one constant value.. on each rig I like it with different value.. also 0.0 is sometimes sufficient (as Peto suggested)

• I think Timo needs to chime in on this - if 0 has an effect then it isn't really 0 now is it? This should be looked into as 0 should be 0 if things are programmed correctly.

Yes and no, programming wise 'on and 0' isn't necessarily the same as off.
    This is also very common in studio analogue equipment especially 'eq's' often on-and-0 is a go to setting just to add a small colouring, and very different to off.

• Yes and no, programming wise 'on and 0' isn't necessarily the same as off.
    This is also very common in studio analogue equipment especially 'eq's' often on-and-0 is a go to setting just to add a small colouring, and very different to off.

I understand and agree but that is the analog domain where an energized physical circuit with knobs at 0 is not the same as a bypassed circuit - this however is the digital domain where 1 and 0's rule! I would therefore expect a more digital analogue with respect to functionality and an effect level of 0.

• I understand and agree but that is the analog domain where an energized physical circuit with knobs at 0 is not the same as a bypassed circuit - this however is the digital domain where 1 and 0's rule! I would therefore expect a more digital analogue with respect to functionality and an effect level of 0.

I think the differentiator here is you're thinking 0 means off. Using your analog domain statement, as an example, say you have a classic real tube amp. A Marshall, Fender, Vox, whatever makes you happy. When you turn it on, but set the volume on zero, it's still in a physical state that's different than when it's off. Sure, no volume is coming out if it's on 0 or off, but electricity is still flowing to the amp, causing it to exist in a different state.

Pure cab works in a similar way. When off, there is nothing going to the pure cab feature to alter your tone. When it's on, even at 0, the signal is still flowing to it.

In programming, 0 sometimes evaluates to false, depending on context, language, etc., but, in this case, 0 is not the boolean indicator of an on or off. If it was, there would be no need for a "Pure Cabinet" on/off toggle switch.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Another analogy might be that some preamps have EQ modules that you can switch in and out of circuit.

Even with all EQ controls set to their null, no-gain-or-cut positions, things sound different, even to the extent that some engineers switch said circuits in for the mojo they impart.

• Another analogy might be that some preamps have EQ modules that you can switch in and out of circuit.

Even with all EQ controls set to their null, no-gain-or-cut positions, things sound different, even to the extent that some engineers switch said circuits in for the mojo they impart.

As I already said earlier these analogies break down in reality because in the case of physical circuits what is being said makes sense but it does not make sense in the case of a DSP algorithm change such as this.

The PureCab setting in the Kemper isn't a circuit that gets switched on and off in fact it isn't anything 'real' in the physical world - this is an algorithmic change to a DSP program which has an effect 'weight' based on the setting which should reach 0 (no effect) when the setting is 0.

This is code not physical circuits! Believe me this doesn't make sense if you look at it for what it actually is which is a mathematical change to a DSP algorithm not a physical change in electrons passing through actual physical connections and components.

• I hear you, mwinter77, but I was looking at it like this:

In programming, 0 sometimes evaluates to false, depending on context, language, etc., but, in this case, 0 is not the boolean indicator of an on or off. If it was, there would be no need for a "Pure Cabinet" on/off toggle switch.

• Look at it this way, folks:

For all values from 0.1 through to 0.9, we need that zero to be there, don't we? It might as well be there at 0.0 for the sake of consistency / clarity / legibility anyway.

The fact that it has less of an effect than a setting of 0.1, but an effect nevertheless, is obviously an indication that we're meant to assume that it's "in-circuit", something akin to my earlier analogue-preamp analogy.

Some folks may well run the algorithm at a setting of 0.0, so it's not useless, but the most subtle setting available to us. The fact that this setting is not 0.1 can be attributed, I feel, both to my latter point as well as to the aesthetic / consistency one I proposed above.

• Well, I never intended for this to become stupid. My only point with the original post and question is that if PureCab is engaged and set to zero it should track linearly from 0 (no effect) to 10 (max effect) and not have a hidden artifact when engaged and set to 0 - that's all really simple and logical if you think about it.

• I disagree. I can clearly hear a difference between 0 and off.

You missed the rest of that paragraph.

When it's on, even at 0, the signal is still flowing to it.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Well, I never intended for this to become stupid. My only point with the original post and question is that if PureCab is engaged and set to zero it should track linearly from 0 (no effect) to 10 (max effect) and not have a hidden artifact when engaged and set to 0 - that's all really simple and logical if you think about it.

I agree, mwinter77, but equally as logical is, given that 10 is the maximum-effect setting, that 0 would be the minimum effect setting and not necessarily a zero effect.

Horses for courses, really.

• Always off, as long as PC is global I won't use it. I collected phantastc profiles over the years and I don't like a global effect on all of them. Some profiles lose their characcter, some sound smoother, anyway. I will wait untill there's a PC-rig-option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de