** SOLVED - I FOUND THE SOUND :) ** ..... Clean Rhythm Profiles for a Les Paul with a Stock PAF in the Bridge ....suggestons ..... ?

• SOLUTION FOUND - SEE POST #14 BELOW

Hi all

Am setting up a KPA for a colleague who uses a Les Paul with a stock 57 PAF humbucker in the Bridge - his humbucker is stock and is quite vintage/low in terms of output.

Rock / Gain sounds are not an issue ..... but am having a REALLY hard time trying to set him up with some nice clean strummy / jangly cleans for his Les Paul Bridge PAF humbucker setup ( my ears are used to P90's and S/Coils )

Everything so far sounds flat, lifeless, dull ..... with his Bridge HB PAF pickup

I realize it will never sound like a strat or tele ........ but can anyone recommend any stock / free profiles that make a bridge PAF humbucker sort-of-jangly-and-strummy sounding for clean rythmn tones ?

Thanks,
    Ben

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• I just did the 50's wiring...made quite a difference when turning down the vols.

I also just did the Peter Green Mod on my neck pickup. (My band does a lot of old PG Fleetwood Mac stuff). Takes a bit of getting used to but there's some very cool tones in that middle position that weren't available before.

In regard to playing clean, more lean or jangly, my LP only came to real life after I installed a treble bleed on both volume pots.

Edited once, last by Gizmo ().

• My main guitar is a circa '71 Gibson Les Paul with stock mini-humbuckers but I rarely/never use the bridge alone for rhythm - like Paul said, I almost always play with the selector switch in the middle... but, since I am 'the sideman' in my current main project, hopefully this might help. Off the top of my head, M. Britt's Dumble Clean 4 is my current go to, but I just bought Pack 2 and set up a performance for the /13 which will soon be brought into circulation. TAF Big Twin, rmpacheco's Morgan AC20 and Top Jimi's 65 Deluxe Reverb have all had their moments for me also. I like Andy/TAF's Trainwreck, Goldfinger and Train45 also - still have to fully explore their potential as well.

Almost all have been tweaked at least slightly in various ways.

• I've put 2 clean profiles up, the first 2 on the RE if you search for clean.
    CleanFLA80s has a slight flanger sound and CleanChorus80s has chorus, of course if you just want 'em clean take mod effect off and tweak the treble and presence a bit for chiminess.
    I found if you put the noise gate on full for the chorus patch the picking sounds great.
    Cheers,
    Mike

• Hey all !

Firstly thanks for all the suggestions.

I was scanning Michael Britt Profile Pack 1 with my colleagues Les Paul with a PAF in the Bridge rocking away and losing hours ( as you do ) and by sheer luck I landed on the 2 x Princeton Profiles.

I am *not* a fan of these amps and their tone ..... and never really gave them a go ....... they have always sounded a bit boxy / cardboard / flat too me ...... yeah I know ..... these are absolute classic amps I and *should* love them ....... anyway .....

..... to my utter amazement, I was in the Les Paul Bridge position with the PAF in full HB mode [ not split or parallel ] with the guitatr volume on 10 ..... and bang ..... there it was .... the fantastic clean tone I was looking for .... I couldn't believe it.

All I did was to apply a compressor and slightly tweak the Clarity and Definition just a touch - nothing else changed at all .... awesome punchy clean tone with a PAF HB in a Les Paul Bridge ..... who would have thought :)

Thanks again to all !!!

Ben

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• This is apparently the week of the Princeton. Two days ago I got a text from a Nashville session guy saying that he heard another big session guy's Kemper using my Princeton profile and how he had to have it. Then, the next day, totally unrelated a 3rd Nashville session guy emailed me about the Princeton profile, "your Princeton is totally the shit." So, I had to go back and listen to it again. I had at some point deleted it from my Kemper to make room for new ones that I was profiling, so I moved it over from my Rig Manager to my Kemper. I ended up putting it in our live show this weekend on a couple songs because I hadn't been using it. It sounded really good. Then I read this and I'm thinking, dang, I got lucky on that one. Glad you finally found the clean you were looking for, and I'm glad I rediscovered it too.

• Hey Michael

The thing I (re) discovered using your Princeton profiles is that although the Princeton
    does sound somewhat "boxy" on its own, in a band mix, be it live or recorded, its
    "midrange honkiness" sits perfectly in the audio pocket of a band sound.

And as you profiled your Princeton clean - as opssoed to the trend in the last few years
    to crank those little old Fenders up to 11 to get the "grindy-grunt" out of them, that
    meant that with a low powered humbucker like a traditonal PAF ( around 8k ) I got a
    great clean Fender tone.

The secret I found with your Princeton profiles and a low powered humbucker, was too
    turn the Clarity down a bit ( yep down not up ) and use a Comp in a slot and run the Comp a "little more compy"
    than normal - giving it a tad more compression really tightened up the lower-mids
    from a humbucker - so the harder I strum, the more focussed and compacted the clean tone
    becomes.

Like I said, a PAF + Princeton for a great [ Fender ) clean tone .... never thought I be
    saying those words :)

Thanks again Michael - you nailed the sweet spot on those Princeton profiles ... and your
    other 480 profiles too :)

All the best and thanks again.