MeAmBobbo PodHD Artist Match Pack (All Merged)

• MeAmBobbo proudly presents...a pack of Line 6 Pod HD patches. I know. Who gives a ____? For a while, I didn't tihnk it'd even be worth doing, and something just to have fun with rather than to make "serious" profiles; however, these came much better than I thought. I strongly suggest everyone give them a run-through. You will be surprised.

There are 62 profiles of the setlist in my Pod HD. These are artist matched profiles - see the list below, but I cover everything from 60's rock to face-melting deathcore. There is no match EQ or anything like that - I did them by ear, and I may have beefed some up according to my personal preferences. All profiles are merged, with a couple of exceptions, which are DA profiles, since there was no amp or cab in the Pod patch.

http://foobazaar.com/kemper/Pod/MAB_PodHD.zip

I will post to the Rig Exchange, but I want to make another pass to do some final tweaks. The Pod has some odd things going on and they show up and sometimes get a bit ugly when profiled, but a little tweaks to some of the amp parameters and some pre-eq can really clear it up. Overall, I was very, very surprised by how good this came out. Some of the profiles came out sounding better than the Pod itself without ANY tweaking. It's like the Kemper made the HD turn ... HD. This was particularly evident on the Treadplate (Dual Recto) model. Even for the ones that sounded identical to the Pod, I had far more tweakability in the Kemper, since most of my Pod HD patches used 4+ EQ's, as the EQ's were very limited in what each type could do. The Studio EQ in the Kemper is basically equivalent to 2 Parametric EQ's and 1 Mid-Focus EQ in the Pod. Plus any EQ's on the Pod patches are now baked into the Kemper profile. The Kemper noise gates are far superior.

The Pod HD's cab/mic simulations are the weak link in the chain; however, I did extensive research on how to pair cab/mic combinations. See http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/cabsMics#dualCab . The IR's used were not truncated properly, so many of them do not phase-align, causing comb filtering and transient mis-alignment, which sounds terrible. I use about 6 different 4x12's and about 5 different mics in my patches - that's a total possibility of 30 cab/mic combinations, and 900 cab/mic pair combinations. I used some math and excel to generate a list of the ones that are phase-aligned, and others that can be aligned using neutral EQ effects, which add latency to the signal. It really breathes life into the Pod, but it eats up your DSP, and it's a real pain to dial in a patch. Anyway, you don't have to worry about any of that. The point is that my pack has a very wide variety of tones, but it's all just Pod HD and Kemper - no cab/mic simulators like the Two Notes Torpedo or external IR's. You can hear some ugly resonances in some of the patches, but for the most part, I think the results are very good.

I used a lot of my reverb presets for ambient and lead patches as well.

Have fun and let me know if you have any feedback. I may retweak and re-profile a few of these. Let me know which need the most work.

John Petrucci - Mark IV rhythm and lead, Mark IIC+ lead, Dual Recto/Road King rhythm and lead, Pull Me Under Clean
    Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien, Is There Love in Space, Fuzz (Overdriver)
    Steve Vai - Ultra Zone, Story of Light
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Santana
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jonny Lang
    Eddie Van Halen - VH I, VH III
    Eric Clapton - Cream
    Gary Moore
    Guns n Roses - Sweet Child o Mine, Welcome to the Jungle (crap delay settings...)
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Led Zepplin - II
    Foo Fighters
    Mark Knoppfler - Money for Nothing
    Metallica - And Justice for All, Black Album
    Megadeth - United Abominations/Classic Thrash Tone, Th1rt3en/rougher tone
    80's Lead
    60's Clean Fender
    Crunches - Marshall, Fender
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    KillSwitch Engage - The End of Heartache (5150 and Recto tones)
    As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
    Meshuggah - Chaosphere, Obzen, Koloss, Lead, Ambient Clean
    Misha Mansoor - rhythm, lead, clean
    Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
    God Forbid - Determination
    Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions
    TesseracT
    Veil of Maya
    Vildjharta (sp?)
    The Faceless - Autotheism rhythm and lead
    Attempt at a Diezel-esque tone (Das Pod)
    Synth/Chiptunes Patches - 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, Dubstep
    Bass - Clean, Distorted, Fuzz, and Metal

EDIT: I updated many of the Pod HD patches on some things I discovered and re-profiled, tweaked, and included these updated ones in the zip. Look for the profiles with "2" at the very end.

• Wow amazing work from you MB :o

I'll give a try to these, I'm not really surprised you got such a better tone. I guess there is a kind of 'resampling' done on the KPA while profiling low resolution gear like a pod, resulting in a much better tone than the original box (maybe the KPA will match the profiled gear to an internal high resolution sim ??). Adding the IR or a really good cab does also much better than any cab sim, for sure.

Well that must have been lots of work, thanks a lot for your efforts.

• Its not all of them that came out better right away. Only maybe 10 or so. Most came out about identical, then i tweaked them to improve. My main complaint on the Pod was the tone could get thin, but i just lower definition a touch once in the kpa and bam. Some came out quite nasty, but a lil pre eq clears them up considerably.

My take is that the kpa expects a tube amp. It tries to match the tube amp equivalent and just sets a bunch of settings to get the closest match. For example i tried to profile one fuzz patch and it sounded nothing like a fuzz after profiling. Whats weird is that it profiled my synth patches and they worked and sound pretty synthy

• Its not all of them that came out better right away. Only maybe 10 or so. Most came out about identical, then i tweaked them to improve. My main complaint on the Pod was the tone could get thin, but i just lower definition a touch once in the kpa and bam. Some came out quite nasty, but a lil pre eq clears them up considerably.

My take is that the kpa expects a tube amp. It tries to match the tube amp equivalent and just sets a bunch of settings to get the closest match. For example i tried to profile one fuzz patch and it sounded nothing like a fuzz after profiling. Whats weird is that it profiled my synth patches and they worked and sound pretty synthy

Give us a list of your favorites! (for comparison against our own opinions). Much thanks!

• Good call.

Vai Story of Light, Satch Is There Love in Space, Petrucci Dual Recto and Mark IV Lead, EVH III, Santana, Clapton, Misha Lead and clean, Meshuggah all, Tesseract, and you just gotta try the synth ones for fun.

I think the bass ones might be fubar. Also i havent tested anything on my 8 string yet. It was all dialed in on a ebmm jp6 w CL/LF

• The KSE ones were my favorite in the Pod, but I think they dont sound very good here. The Meshuggah Chaosphere profile came out pretty terrible as well, but i made some ajdustment, and its pretty insane...possibly even usable lol. (Their tone on that album is pretty harsh so... find an isolated guitar track such as after the intro on Neurotica. Its a phasy mess of djent mush).

I couldnt set up expression pedals, but on the Pod, i attached it to the amp drive for the Meshuggah Lead patch. Then i can do those weird swells Thordendal gets with the breath controller.

• Hey thanks! As always I'm busy saving some of your presets they sound amazing! I love the 'airy' FX presets for MSHGH (I assume this is Meshuggah; your naming conventions would be better if you put the full name in the comments) and Misah CLN (what is that?) is so nice!

You were spot on about the VAI preset, that is a keeper, and I'm working my way through the others but seems to be some very usable stuff here! Should I be ashamed these aren't real amps? ??? ;)

• Yes, i want to put the full names in the tags. Maybe I should move "Merged" to the cab comments, and make the Rig Comments the full artist and album/style names.

Cln is just clean. Misah should be Misha as in Misha Mansoor, as in Periphery.

I was very excited how great some of them turned out. I was tempted to post a few really good ones telling people I used a mysterious expensive boutique tube amp and get a laugh about how people would be like "Wow I need to try that amp" before revealing its all just a Pod HD.

On the other hand, it makes you wonder if some of the less favorable commercial profiles you buy are coming from a Digitech or cheap solid state combo amp, and just claiming to be various studio grade amps.

I may post the profiles as they came directly from the profiling process with no effects or tweaks, so people can compare how much of a difference a few small tweaks can make. Some of my discoveries on "fixing" the worse ones only came about halfway through the pack, so i definitely want to make another pass, and I may try revamping some of the Pod profiles and re-profiling, or at least removing some of the effects that the kpa had the most trouble with and getting more raw profiles, then adding tweaks in the kpa to get the signature artist tones.

Nothing is real anymore, but these profiles are 120% realer! So whatever that means, dont feel bad.

Thanks for auditioning them and giving feedback. Ill def make another preset pack once the kpa gets revamped space/time effects. I actually have a few more i havent shared yet. If i find time ill share those too.

Did any stick out to you as "Whoa thats bad - definitely a Pod"? Or seem way off EQ wise, etc

• Most of the heavy ones I thought were lacking to truly use; but I could tell they might sound close to the album. They were sort of thin and raspy ((I'm using a dxr10, which usually I need to decrease definition anyway on most profiles) But I have a lot of really good Tones for metal so it's just hard to entertain myself with metal tones those. I realize it might sound like the album but that doesn't mean I want to play with it. :)

Still, I noticed the AC/DC sounded pretty darn good!

I'm more interested in the cleans and the solo sounds, also the SRV and hendrix (I haven't check out SRV yet but the hendrix did sound pretty good; but still lacks some fullness if you know what I mean, especially if you just load a mbritt profile right after you're like, 'oh no.'

so do you think once you get playing with these more you will upload your favorites to the rig exchange? That would be cool, or here. Personally, my favorite overall was the Vai which was your first recommendation too; so I think we both know that is something pretty special. It just sings! I tried different cabs but preferred the one you had because I didn't ewant to mess with the chemistry too much. Do you think since these are merged we should be trying different cabs out on them?

Looking forward to your 'favorites.'

• Thanks for posting these. Looking forward to giving them a try. BTW, if I understand the process correctly, I think these would be called studio profiles, not merged. Do I have that right?

• I profiled each one twice, once with cab/mic sims and one with "no cab" selected then merged them.

Oozish, i hear you. That was actually was my main complaint with the HD as a whole. You could get body but not bite or bite but no body. When i was trying to match to album tones, isolated guitars were pretty thin, so i went that way. Im more interested in full tones now, and we can trim it down to fit the mix in the daw. Gonna make another pass soon, and reprofile a few that i feel could be better. Thx for feedback!

• Oh amd i made them merged so itd be easier to swap cabs, as i feel the pods amp models are far superior to the cab sims, even the dual cab techniques can produce some offputting resonances. I dont know if theres any real benefit - i doubt the pod is calculating impedance curves between amp and cab.