Revalver 4 - ACT technology

• Peavey (AlienConnections team ) just produced Revalver 4 plugin.
    One of the interesting thing is you can Tone match your input to desired spectrum (Acoustic Guitar, Telecaster .....and so on) it is called ACT :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I wonder if it possible to do the same in the KPA FX ?

Other nice things is - you can tweak schematic of the emulated amps:) This is based on the SPICE simulation.

Nice plug in. I have sentiment to the Alien Connection stuff. They have a nice spectrogram editor in the pristine studio.

• It is allegedly like what the Profiler does, but on the input side of things. There's a bunch of presets, you play and it matches your guitar to those presets.

I profiled a couple of the acoustics and have been using them for a couple of months now.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• It is allegedly like what the Profiler does, but on the input side of things. There's a bunch of presets, you play and it matches your guitar to those presets.

I profiled a couple of the acoustics and have been using them for a couple of months now.

Sorry still don't get it - matches your guitar to the presets? Does it model a guitar? So if I play through a strat I can make it sound like a Les Paul?

• I like some of the amps and IR's in Peavy Revalver 4 but I think of the included ACT feature more like a fun eq effect the times I've used it.
    It can be fun to use but the A-B results are not accurate compared to the real instrument source. There is no way I can make my humbucker guitar sound like my spanky strat singlecoil, they simply don't sound the same at all using ACT.
    The same goes for turning an electric into an acoustic, it's a fun effect but nothing close like the real acoustic guitar when compared.
    The Kemper profiling is of course something completely different than this effect.
    I'm sure the ACT eq effect can be achieved (or better) by using any eq match plugin in the DAW signal chain and simply creating an IR with voxengo deconvolver.

• Sorry still don't get it - matches your guitar to the presets? Does it model a guitar? So if I play through a strat I can make it sound like a Les Paul?

Bingo. Allegedly.
    Admittedly, i haven't dug into Revalver 4 enough to form a solid opinion. My initial impression was as with its previous installment -
    absolutely amazing Peavey models, and the rest is embarrassing.

I still think that the ACT did a better impersonation of an acoustic than any simulator, software or hardware.
    The Kemper couldn't quite duplicate the effect, but it's sort of good enough for my live needs.

As for humbucker to single coil - that's impossible and therefore doesn't work too well.
    The other way around, though, is much easier and works great.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Did you try to make an IR from Revalver 4 ACT and then convert it to KPA cab?
    Play with the Low ang high shift parameters:)
    The results is quite good for me:)
    Maybe i will do some free profiles.

• I think he was referring to things like the Roland guitar and Variax in the first sentence, Don. As for the second one where he refers to the KPA, I took it that it was just something he tried anyway, although I don't know how.

I still think that the ACT did a better impersonation of an acoustic than any simulator, software or hardware.

Somehow I doubt it could compete with the newest Variax acoustic impersonations, which are impressive IMHO.

Maybe i will do some free profiles.

Yes, please do, Damian!

• how did you try to achieve this?
    there is no acoustic simulator in the Profiler.

There are two or three acoustic sims profiled and available on the RE. I also have some software variants and one hardware pedal that i profiled to varying degrees of success.
    As for Revalver, once the ACT matching process is done, the result is an amp model and thus, can be profiled.
    It's some combination of delay, IR, overdrive and compression and the Profiler doesn't quite capture it properly - although that is to be expected.

As for the Variax, it is indeed far superior - but it is piezo based and that's cheating :)

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• As long as you have a tonedexter pedal or a matchEQ software + a interface you can do the same with the kemper
    but is has it's limits on every device, if your source pickups have next to no highs a matcheq can not boost the highs enough without introducing noise

this is how close i got with the kemper + the tonedexter pedal first you hear the affected tone then the source sound

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

these were PAF like pickups so yeah it works better with singlecoils, active pickups and of course piezos

you can do the same with these match eq things by routing the kemper through the pc ... and choose no cab ...

i wrote a short tutorial in my fre profiles thread but as soon as i have the time i make a video for it