Universal WAV-Take for Reamping to compare profiles

• I always ask me if my Kemper is quite in order. I'm buying professional profiles but the sound is always a bit fizzy without punch.
    So my idea is: If anyone could make a clean WAV-File with some Power-Chords, Riffs, Crunch and Jazzy and Rock-Style without
    Kemper, without Effects only as a clean WAV-File, we could compare several rigs by reamping this file.
    Is it a stupid idea? Would someone do this? My Guitar-playing is not as good to do this.
    What do you think?

• Great idea, mate; I've thought of this too just for tweaking convenience and auditioning profiles 'cause my playing sux and is a distraction at best.

Now, all we need is someone who can play guitar properly. Where might we find such a person, I wonder?

I know... I've heard of a forum... Krumpet something or other... Kamper, perhaps?

• Honestly, there are situations in which I had to use the feature to initilise global settings and in two cases the more drastic complete new start in the maintenance menu. In all of these cases, I was telling myself that it's my head that was playing a trick on me. ... Would have been easier, if there was a way of testing the KPA (or even better, if there were no such cases in which you have to clean the KPA and start from scratch). ... Thus: I like the idea!

• Yes Paults, in a certain way you are right. But in my post i said, that i want to compare the Kemper reamping
    result with other Kemper recordings in order to clear if my Kemper is damaged or not.
    I will do both: Increase my playing and hear new rigs at a fingertip. In the normal way i have to play with a rig,
    then stop, change the rig and play again. After that i have forgotten what the rig before sounded like.
    With the new idea i can let it play in a loop and change the ring imediately. So i have a direct comparison
    of several rigs.
    I know that i won't play better if i have better sounds. But a good sound inspires and it makes more fun
    to practise...

• Yes, the Kemper original are the same. It is subtil but too much for me.
    I'm using 2 Yamaha DXR 12 and AKG K240 Earphones. Same result on both.
    No EQ's using and same result without effects.
    I know it must have a sparkeling tone, using my Strat but i noticed that while playing
    a Pearl LP and a Godin with Humbucker too.
    Thanks for concerning...

• Hal, are you aware of how a mic'ed cab sounds through monitors? A greater amount of highs is to be expected, and if you are used to listen to your guitar cab in front of it a neutral cab will not give you the same punch.
    Have you tried to dial in some Pure Cab?

• +1 for this, it's something I have asked about before.

It would in fact be good if Kemper themselves could think about devising a small D.I and wet signal pack using some of the factory rigs. It might even be to their advantage if it cuts down on support tickets from users new to the mic'd cab sound?

• I've thought of this quite a bit.

Something akin to the preview feature found on most synths would be awesome IMHO. Press a button (in this case, one of the soft keys above the screen) and a DI phrase is played through the rig. The guitar type (strat / tele / LP) and style (funk / rock / metal) could be set in the System menu, along with whether or not the phrase is looped until rig-change, when the button is pressed again or just played once through per press. I'd suggest that consecutive plays of the guitar types' phrases in a given genre would be a popular option for editing rigs, an option that would surely trump any "real-world" attempt to switch between the three basic electric guitar types whilst paying attention to the editing process, which in itself uses the opposite side of the brain and is therefore by definition incompatible with skilful / creative guitar playing.

Whilst this would be simple for the team to implement and constitute a first (to my knowledge) in the world of guitar DSP hardware, it may unfortunately come down to available flash RAM. I've no idea how much there is to spare, but taking my options suggested above as an example, we'd need 3 styles x 3 guitar types which would equal 9 phrases. Allowing 10 seconds on average per phrase, which seems about right to me for 2 bars which provide enough room for light and shade, I calculate that 11.25mb would be required for mono 24bit 44.1kHz files.

That's not much, but as I said, none of us knows how much remains, and given the efficiency of profiles', cab IR and preset sizes, it might even come down to how many rigs and cabs one has installed. If RAM that is reserved for the OS remains in sufficient quantititty (sorry, that's just how I say it!) that this 11mb wouldn't hinder future feature development, I hereby implore the team to consider this simple, groundbreaking functional enhancement.

Just think about it - you could edit your Kemper on your lap in front of the TV (!) or whilst Kempering... I mean, camping, or, perhaps more realistically, audition the overwhelmingly-huge mass of free and purchased rigs we're all guilty of having access to but not the time or energy to do so. Even if one had a guitar strapped around one's neck, one couldn't possibly audition and sort through all those rigs as quickly or painlessly as would be possible with an onboard phrase of choice's being looped... IMHO.

Beer to be sent to:
    Monkey Man
    Kemper Ave
    Jungleville

Instruct courier to leave at front door.

EDIT: Obviously, if room were available an appropriate number of User slots could house our own custom phrases... using our guitars, which'd be even more amazing for those who own good ones.

• Now I wonder:

Is this possible? That the KPA does work, but does not work right? Ok, there might be something wrong with the hardware that might influence the sound. But it's a digital device, so how can it work, but not work correctly? In my little world of techknowledge I would have assumed, that if the KPA is faulty on the software side, then it simply does not make any sound! at all?

Can someone confirm this?

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Well, I am surely not the only one who has had a changed sound, then resetting the KPA and the sound was back to normal. And this is actually why I support the idea to be able to test the KPA.

• Well, I am surely not the only one who has had a changed sound, then resetting the KPA and the sound was back to normal. And this is actually why I support the idea to be able to test the KPA.

Mm... you're right. Read this here before. Still wondering though how a KPA can sound "different" from the start/out of the box. Besides that, I like the idea, too.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I get how you're thinking, 'loogie. It's a matter of degree and depends upon how critical the corrupted code is.

Where along the sound-creation / manipulation chain does / do the error/s occur? Are they FX-block anomalies or ones central to the tone-creation engine (amp block principally)? Are errors being introduced at the input-conversion phase, the A/D stage?

Errors in any of these example areas could conceivably alter the sound but not bring the unit to its knees. The same goes for display errors, although they'd obviously not alter the sound.

Our DNA code could provide an analogy here - errors produce disease (the sound of my KPA isn't quite right), and as they accumulate (my KPA definitely sounds rank), they eventually reach a critical point where mission-critical functionality is lost (my KPA blew up). Crude analogy, but you get what I mean.

Another might be CD/DVD reading - errors are corrected through basic parsing codes, but when they eventually reach a critical point where said codes can no longer reconstruct the data, the disc is useless.

• One thing is not clear to me: someone has asked some skilled player to make a raw recording available for testing purposes. I think that anyone should be able to do it by themselves. What would the use be of a greatly-played raw track, if we are going to use those "best sounding" rigs with our own technical skills?
    My point is that what would matter most is how the rigs\profiles sound when we play them, wouldn't it?