Universal WAV-Take for Reamping to compare profiles

• excellent ideas mates, internal loop samples would also be great while setting up the stage before a gig : choose a tone, loop the sample and go where the public will be standing , and hear by yourself what they will hear.

I vote for this idea too !

• Very different oppinions here...
    No one of those who disagree have had following phenomen?: You here a sound from a rig from a comercial
    supplier and his example sounds awesome. You buy that stuff and put in in your Kemper and it sounds different.
    Or you hear sounds out of your Kemper and you think: "That isn't what i have expected".
    So with a standard WAV-File (that everyone could have) you can compare it with other users. " Please user X,
    can you please make a short record with the WAV-File and send to me. I want to make shure my Kemper behave
    like yours".
    Yes, i know even a different soundcard will make a different result. But thats marginal. The basic sound should
    be similar. So i will practise more and in a few month i will make such a file for those who find it useful.

• hal, there are so many variables in there, you can't really compare that. A huge influence on the sound (the biggest, really) is the way you play. Then, of course you don't play the same guitar that was used for the demos - not the same pickups.

• Joerch, you deliver the main argument. Yes because of the fact, that the way of playing makes a huge difference
    it is a good idea to compare a file that was played by one person and everyone can use it...

• What joerch is saying is that, again, when you gonplay that rig it won't sound as with the wav file.

just to clarify, I am all in for an uploadable and loopanle wav file. What I do not get is just the fact that it should be played by someone else.

• It is difficult to explain (not a native speaker). I would be the advantage of examine a failure.
    If Kemper doesn't sound like expected, i could make a record with a Kemper standard rig and the
    standard WAV-file.
    Then i can ask another Kemper-user to make a record with the file and same rig both can compare the result record
    and it should be identical in basic sound (some liite differences might be caused by soundcard).
    I think the other advantages are clear, right?

• Easy answer, folks. Perhaps you didn't catch my edit:

EDIT: Obviously, if room were available an appropriate number of User slots could house our own custom phrases... using our guitars, which'd be even more amazing for those who own good ones.

One could make and learn from the comparison whilst editing.

• Your idea is pretty stellar, Monkey Man, and if it isn't doable directly in the KPA, then surely it could be incorporated into Rig Manager? Hit play, then select Rigs at random in your library or from the Exchange, using Autoload.

If anyone's interested, I wouldn't mind making a DI wav file. I'm not the world's best guitarist, however.

• Thank you, SamBro'!

I love the RM idea for two reasons:

1) It could be used to name and send the files to the KPA.
    2) Should the KPA not be able to accommodate the RAM requirements, our Macs / PCs surely would.

Option 1 would be ideal, IMHO; that way the audio wouldn't have to be re-sent via the USB connection every time we "arrow" to a new rig, thus ensuring we maintain the snappy auditioning process we're accustomed to and love so much.

I very much hope the Team likes this idea, not least because the only way I've been able to "efficiently" audition lots of rigs in a sitting is to have my lil' brother ("Fingers") come over and grind out his "SlashTones" hour... after hour... no funk... after hour... no jazz... after hour... LOL

• LOL indeed! :D

• Yeah, he's my brother (25 years younger than I), so I didn't want to sound harsh.

Slash is his thing, which isn't unusual for someone his age. I've been on a long-term mission to expose him to fusion, jazz, funk etc guitarists in the hope that it'll eventually rub off / sink in.

This audition feature has me excited, even 'though I acknowledge that there's not much chance of its being implemented, as I suggested before, because it'd be like having a pro guitarist play appropriately-styled and finessed riffs whilst I tweak my heart out. It'd be so conducive to tweaking that said activity would actually be something I'd look forward to and power the Kemper up for!

• Hehe I was the same at that age (just swap Slash for Megadeth...).

The more I think about it, the more the first option seems totally possible; the flash memory used to store the loops recorded using the Looper could be the cache for RM to upload to.

• Maybe I'm missing something, but: Couldn't the looper be used for that? It's inside the KPA and it records waves. I had assumed, that you can tweak a profile while the looper is playing. This is at least, what the POD can do. Then, all we'd need is a way to place that recorded file on a usb stick and then upload it to RM/RE (edit:) and to import them from an usb stick into the looper.

Damn, I have to find the time to dig into the KPA deeper, anything else is guessing I guess... sry for that^^.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited once, last by Fireloogie ().

• I hear you, Monkey. But I haven't heard of any other digital music device that out of the box sounds different from another model of the same type. I'm aware that the KPA is one complex machine on the inside, but I would have expected it to simply not to work, if something is wrong with any of the internal digital stages. Then again I'm far from being technically delighted, so...

That being said, I now wonder, if my KPA is sounding as good as it should? And therefore want that feature now :D .

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Maybe I'm missing something, but: Couldn't the looper be used for that? It's inside the KPA and it records waves. I had assumed, that you can tweak a profile while the looper is playing. This is at least, what the POD can do. Then, all we'd need is a way to place that recorded file on a usb stick and then upload it to RM/RE.

Damn, I have to find the time to dig into the KPA deeper, anything else is guessing I guess... sry for that^^.

That's possible of course. But what hal is looking for is a test-recording, that can be used to evaluate, whether the profiler's sound is okay. ... The only idea I have to achieve something like that would be that sellers of profiles, who have samples on the websites, would also provide the wav files that you could feed into the KPA to test it.
    Alternatively, there could be a "universal" test file, that can be used to feed into the KPA and users could compare the results.

• I thought that too, but then wondered whether or not said memory resides in the Remote itself.

I don't think so, otherwise people using other midi controllers wouldn't be able to use the looper (which is unofficially supported).

@hal2000 Thanks, but I'm never going to be a very good player, as I just don't practice enough! As much as I want to, life just seems to get in the way...

@Fireloogie You can indeed tweak profiles whilst the looper's playing, but then we're back to the quandary of one man's guitar and playing not being equal to another's and therefore not being able to error check a profile/profiler.

• Edit on my post on using the looper for that:

Not only would we need the possibility to save recorded waves to usb sticks, but also of course the possibility to import them from an usb stick into the looper. Sry, forgot this above, otherwise it would not make any sense for the thread. But that way we could exchange any recorded file for that purpose.