• First mix so needs a bit of work still, I may stick a new vocal on this week.
    Any criticisms gratefully received.
    Woof!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I realised it was a very low volume so here it is beefed up a bit.

• Excellent effort, Spotty!

Took me back to the '80s. So commercial, which isn't easy to achieve IMHO.

I can't comment too much on the mix as it's Mac in-built speaker playback I'm afraid, but it comes across as if you're in the ballpark.

The "theremin" and backup vocals' parts are excellent IMHO.

The off-beat guitar part's timing needs adjustment at 13/14 seconds in, as well as at the +/- 1min 35sec point and possibly elsewhere - take a close listen and shift accordingly. It's out of time around the 3min mark during the break as well.

The lead guitar sounds like it needs to be pushed back (depth-wise) in the mix during the break (+/- 3min mark). I'd try a little delay, more if you're already using it, first, as 'verb, even early reflections alone, might not suit the vibe / space you've created. I'm not talking mucho-feedback delay as you only need 2 or 3 audible repeats to achieve the gluing with the rest of the mix that I'm talking about.

It's terribly difficult to make sound(!) judgements using the Mac speaker, but from what I can tell, you've done a bang-up job, Spottydog. Well done!

• Thanks MM, appreciate the comments.
    With regard to the guitar timing, it's as I like it, I'll look into the reverb amount re the lead guitar.
    I think I can do a better vocal though.
    Cheers.

• Like the song.Reminds me a little bit of INXS (which I was a huge fan of)

Nice vocals but may I ask if you are a little bit to shy with processing it;I always like tons of compression on vocals.And EQs with special roles..Melodyne and the Vocal Rider are a must.Nice modern FX could really help you specially with these kind of dancy stuff

edit

Seems like I fucked it up with the mix of this post..

• Hi Nikos, thanks for the thoughts.
    There is compression and eq on the vocal would you go further and how?
    Regarding the melodyne would you use it just for tuning or other purposes?
    Cheers

• Uhh..dont be angry with me but I guess I am not the best teacher for vocal mixing.I do it since years only "by ears and feeling" and I do myself a lots of "research" and we can all be glad that "the best of the best" give today free tutorials on youtube.

I will only tell you my opinion:I believe that the vocals are by far the most important thing in the mix and in the song in general.It must be "present" loud and clear (every word) with nice,fresh highs and high mids but it should not be "sharp" but "soft & warm" so you need also to take care of the low mids while many sound engineers use "low cuts" because the deep frequencies are not what the voice needs.

I can recommend literally "thousands" of good lessons on youtube.Some guys like this one:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Have fun with it.

• Yah..it is a lots of work my friend..

Btw,what me really helped (and still does) are one-two really good mic-preamps/channel strips and one two good mics(I love the TLM-103 and most of all the AKG-C-414).I fell in love with the Avalon 737 some years ago (it is very "clean & clear") and when it is to expensive for you I can recommend the SPL-Channel One which is also very easy to be used by guys who are more used to record guitars and who dont have great experience with recording vocals.Very good value for the money.

These stuff is also good to give your recording set up some more "tube warmth" and "nice air" when you have a digital set up(which we have all today I guess)..

• I really like this. I can imagine this on a Depeche Mode album with Dave Gahan vocals. It's not a clone of DM, but I can see it fit into what they do.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Nice song! I specially like the chorus, very catchy! Nevertheless I think it could benefit from some subtle backing vocals in "the world stops turning when I think about you".

Regarding the mix, I cannot say much as I just listened with some cheap earbuds, not proper monitors. Once at home I will relisten. But so far I agree with @Nikos, I wouldn't mind having some more creative processing in the voice, like some agressive filtering at some points, playing with some exaggerated delays or stuff like that, I think this would fit a lot in your song and make it more vibrant and fresh.

I'd have chosen a darker snare, but that's just a matter of taste!

• .. I love the TLM-103 and most of all the AKG-C-414...

Nikos, buddy, they're the only two condensers I have! Folks have laughed at me for wanting these, but I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one with this "taste".

Rock on, brother,
    Nicky

• AKG C414B ULS is a cracker :

External Content youtu.be

:D

Edited once, last by sambrox ().

• Yea..many guys dont like the C414 because it is very sensitive in the high frequencies..the "s" and the "t"...you know..

For me this Mic is a must.First I used it only for deeper male voices(did a lots of stuff with gospel & soul singers some years ago),later on almost all male voices and then (when learning about how to use properly de-essers and stuff) on all my vocal recordings with the Avalon or the Channel One.

I dont know..I got used to it..and I like these tons of "air" it has.The TLM is more "boring" but when you know for what you can use it it does a lot of good work.

And while I think about the whole thing..the Channel One(bought mine in 2001) "teached" me a lot back then..what a compressor does on vocals,de-esser etc..such a nice channel-strip/mic-preamp..glad I never sold it..

• Yeah, for me, the 414 is "you get what you put in". I know that there have been at least 10 different iterations through the years, but the B-ULS at least is just a great, neutral, honest mic. YMMV and all that.

• @sambrox

Love my ULS too buddy.. ;)

Btw some "funny" sidenote..almost all Bouzouki-Players I know are going nuts for the C414.And I know some guys from turkey and egypt who say the same when recording their Saz´ and Ouds.. :D:thumbup:

• Yes, it's an honest mic, which is why I always wanted it.

Confession time: Mine's been on lay-buy for 13 months and is not here yet! I know how it sounds from the AE courses I did, where I also learned about its versatility. Pretty much any solo acoustic instrument can be captured accurately with this puppy.

Nikos, I have a deep voice, so your comments are encouraging for this mic!