Fractal AX8 ..... US $1,399 ..... thats just CRAZY !!! :) :) :)

• Hey all

Im not going anywhere or getting rid of my KPA, but damn, Fractal have put toghether an amazing package.

Specs *seem* to be:-

- Model AX8
    - same amps and cabs as FX XL+ but *no* dual-amping
    - up to 8 - 10 simultaneous FX on top of amp and cab
    - all-in-one integtrated floor controller with LED Lit "normal"c amp controls
    - *apparently *same* FX XL+ sound quality [ but less bells and whsiltes ]
    - USB PC soundcard
    - same IR loading
    - same software as Axe FX XL+
    - same Firmware [ Quantum ] as Axe FX XL+

Looks like a very compelling "grab-and-go" rig.

Nealry fell off my chair when I saw the US $1,399 price.

I dont even really need one, but at that price, its just too good to *not* get one.

KPA for home / studio / normal gigs.

AX8 for grab-and-go-smaller shows.

Good time to be a guitar player :)

Ben

• Brilliant move from Fractal, It won't surprise me if line 6, will announce a "Felix", smaller with one effect loop but dual amp and a price under $1000 very soon. If they were not ready for this move, that would mean they haven't done their homework. This is getting very interesting to watch.

I know for a fact neither can touch the KPA in amp and sound quality. I just bought my KPA about one month ago from musiciansfriend and I have 15 more days to consider returning it but, I'm definitely keeping the kemper. It's just fun watching this though. I have to admit that even thought I never cared for the AXE FX II when I tried it, Fractal just made a brilliant move with their pricing, even though I think there's a bigger market in the Under $1000 and line 6 and Fractal or any other company stand to make a lot of money under $1000 simply because it a larger market.

• Hey Dean

How did you "feel" the Axe Fx was / sounded to you ?

I have on a few occasions used an FX XL+ set up for me and it sounded brilliant - the thing that struck me though was when profiles of amp x on the KPA as compared to tweaked amp x presets on the Axe [same amp ]. sounded. *very* different.

For example, one of my favorite KPA sounds is MBritts Dirty Shirley Profile - turn your back to it and there is no way on earth you would think it was *not* a real tube amp.

The same amp on the Axe Fx - also sounded fantastic, but it sounded quite diffenret ...... hard to put my finger on it ...... *maybe*. Is was almost like it was a bit too. "hi-fi" sounding if that makes sense ........but maybe my ears are just so used to [good] KPA profiles ....

Ben

• Hey guys,
    the FX-8 is just a great multi-FX pedalboard. Nothing else! You must have an amplifier after it.
    It is NOT comparable with the Axe FX or KPA.
    Diffently from Line6 Helix, it does not include any amp simulations.
    You could use it before the KPA (and some of its effects in send/return)

• So are we talking AX8 here or FX8?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• This may appear as a "smart move" at the first look but just imagine you are one of these many,many,many guitar players who have spent 3 grands on their AXE-FX II XL+ and tge super expensive MFC-1...and just found out that they dont need "dual-amps" & "dual-cabs".

Would you not be pissed;I know I would..

Anyway.My guess is that there will be many AXE-FX II on ebay in the next months.The is a fine line between "smart move" and "shoot your own feet" while trying to kill your competitors.

• This may appear as a "smart move" at the first look but just imagine you are one of these many,many,many guitar players who have spent 3 grands on their AXE-FX II XL+ and tge super expensive MFC-1...and just found out that they dont need "dual-amps" & "dual-cabs".

Anyway.My guess is that there will be many AXE-FX II on ebay in the next months.The is a fine line between "smart move" and "shoot your own feet" while trying to kill your competitors.

I agree on everything you said, but the realities of the market are quickly changing. No doubt the AX8 will take shares from the AXE FX II share as well as from the FX8. Both AXE II and AX8 might even be discontinued, but at least Fractal gets to stay with one Viable product and learns to adjust the new realities. This is a much better scenario than Helix taking shares of the AXE II.

I also think that Kemper Amps will have to react to this also since most guitar players, in the maker for a modeler, consider the AXE FX modeling to be of similar quality, even though I personally think that Kemper is in a different league.

FX8 is the same price as AX8 meanwhile FX8 doesn't have amp modeling! Who will buy FX8 now? Probably no one.

I think fractal are not trying to Kill the competition, they're simply trying to stay alive. They currently don't have the distribution channels that would allow them to compete at that level. A guitar player has to go on a waiting list to be able buy any of their products before he gets to try it out! Most or the average consumer doesn't go for this boutique model.

Edited 5 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Hey Ben , I offended quite a few people by talking about my experience with AXE FX II so I won't go into detail except to say that when I tried it, it did sound too"hi fi" as you indicated and didn't feel natural or musical to me, so I opted for the KPA.

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• My guess is that Fractal did the analysis and decided that the Helix would steal too much market share from the Axe FX II so he had to price the AX8 to be competitive. However, it will be interesting to see how this affects the sales of his product line, as the AX8 sales would certainly eat into the FX8 (seems overpriced now), MFC-101 (not needed if you have the AX8), and the flagship Axe-FX II (expensive for many people who only need a single amp/cab and some effects, and prefer a floor unit).

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Much to the delight of the guitar consumer!

• Yep it looks they are heading where they startet. An agressive "boutique" modeling company best in shouting and lying.

BTW I see the Ex-Effect III comming. Just stack the AX8 control unit into a rack and.....voila!

• I don't get the constant comparing of FX8 and AX8.
    It is 2 different units.
    1 is a all in one floorbased moddeler the other is a all in 1 effect unit optimized for use with a " real" amp.
    How one can be overprized because of the price of the other makes no sence at all to me.

I also don't get all the negative comments. Seriously, another unit means more competition which in the end means better products for us..

• Yeah - the FX8 and AX8 are 2 completely different products for two complexly different needs / markets.

No negatives from me re: the XL+ ..... as I've said I've had one set up for me and it sounded freakin awesome.

To my ears, I prefer the KPA tones ..... not trying to offend anyone by saying this, but the KPA sounds to my ears are much more "ragged" and "rough" and a bit "nastier" and "less refined and more immediate and in your face" ..... all in the best way possible .... again, to my ears ..... exactly what a really good tube amp actually really sounds like when you play and crank one.

No doubt others will disagree - but the Axe is a stunning unit too - there is no "right" or "best" answer here :)

I'll eventually grab an AX8 due to its price point but only provided its basic raw tones are the same as the flagship XL+ ..... perfect for a grab-and-go-small-venue rig ....... I can do without a lot of the XL+ bells and whisltes as long as the raw tones are the same.

Also .......... " Seriously, another unit means more competition which in the end means better products for us " + 1000

Ben

• I don't get the constant comparing of FX8 and AX8.
    It is 2 different units.
    1 is a all in one floorbased moddeler the other is a all in 1 effect unit optimized for use with a " real" amp.

AX8 is setup with exclusively dedicated DSP resources for Amp modeling which gives it the ability to run 8-10 simultaneous effects. FX 8, I believe can only run 8 FX at the same time. So the AX8 does what the FX8 and more. AX8 might not be optimized for 4 Cable method, but can still be used with a real amp like any other multi effects. One is clearly redundant and I believe it's the FX8, I doubt that anyone will opt for the FX8 only because it's optimized for real amps, they will make the AX8 work and gain the extra options of having Modeling from the flagship modeler AXE FX II including "Quantum" modeling.

To me it seems like a no-brainer that people will go with AX8, unless the effects list in the AX8 is very scaled down and it misses many of those found in the FX8, but why would fractal cripple the AX8 in that regard (I haven't seen an effect list yet, but I doubt it would be very trimmed down if at all)

• Amazing price in the US. I'd expect it to be a fair amount more in the EU/UK. If you look at the price of an Axe in the US compared to the price of one here I don't know if it's going to be that much of a toss up here. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs upwards of £1600/€1800, which is a fair amount more than the Helix, and not in the same price range at all.

A question, would you be able to ABY it with the Kemper to get a dual amp effect?

Wrong. I have the AxeFX 2 system. I have no need for the AX8. I will not be selling my system (though seriously considering selling my Kemper) . I harbor no bad feeling about this products release. Unfortunately your supposition is pretty much wrong on all accounts in my case. ; )

• @Phil

I cant see no reason not to ABY both systems.Actually it is a tempting thought but then again for me personally doing "dual amping" during recording is not as easy as I would like it to be.Most of the times I used two very different sounds and playing these in the same time brings as many problems as one could imagine.Only in a few occasions it was like I imagined it.More so live.

Most of the times I always prefered recording first the "brutal" sound with more gain and after this the "opposite" more clear sound with only a little bit of overdrive with the right panning.The other thing is to mix different amp sound down to just one new sound.Actually this was (and still is) also a lots of fun.

For some reason I am not very fond to do this with modelers.At least not as long as I am not the one who profiled the amps with which I would like to try this (in my case these are "my good ol' Steavens,Rectifier and the JCM-800 I own for over 20 years).But It is a dream to record different amps with the KPA withinin a song with just a push of a button.Crazy stuff.All this running between the control room and recording room,all this permant new built up of the mics etc,etc which is great if you have time but a horror if you dont..

Anyway.Spending 1000-2000 bucks more for "dual amping" with modelers is it not worth for me.Yet.

@lasvideo

I am very happy for everyone who has "found his sound"This is a big thing.

• Very cool product, still i bet the price in Europe will be super high :(

That's the main problem of Fractal for me.

Ps :It's something that's out of the company control of course (i guess?).

• Actually, if it does end up being that price, I could probably get a used Axe FX II for not that much more!

There would be little point in either then, they'd just be too expensive and similar to the Kemper for me. Ah well, hype over!