Getting a good tone at low volume with studio monitors

• Hey guys
    I've never really enjoyed the tone of my KPA through studio monitors. I've been using a pair of Prodipe 8inch Ribbon monitors for a few months. They're not the best monitors out there, but they should be decent sounding. When I play at low voumes, the kpa sounds really thin and lacks clarity. When I crank the volume it sounds better. I know I'm not going to get the fel of a 4x12 at low volume, I'm really talking about tone.
    (I had the same problem with my previous monitors, a cheap pair of Samson MediaOne 3.5)

The thing is when I listen to music with these speakers, or even watch crappy youtube videos, the sound is great even at low volume.

So should I invest in different studio monitors?
    Thanks
    Matt

• Are you sure the signal isn't altered or distorted anywhere in your signal chain?

While there are differences between speakers I get decent tone through just about any kind of amp/speaker combination (or headphones) that is able to reproduce music with reasonable audio-quality. The KPA even sounds great at any volume through a pair of cheap Behringer studio-monitors (B3031A) I have at home.