Can I get a step by step on updating the firmware please?

• Ive been reading and from what Ive been able to digest, when you do a firmware update on the KPA (mine is coming new but probably will not have the latest OS in it) it seems you must sometimes do a System Reset, in which case erases (please forgive if I get this wrong Im new) the rigs and or cab data???

I have So many questions on what to do 1st and last and the order in between...

1. Do I need to save everything 1st if I want to update the firmware? Or just save everything at the start anyway?

2. Do I need to do a System Reset after updating the OS (or any other time)? Or is there no need?

3. Are there on line backups of all the "factory" Amp and Cab data so If I happen to mess up (highly possible as again Im new at this) I can just download and reinstall it?

A step by step "what to do if this happens" would be nice to have. Thanks in advance for any info not specifically covered "step by step" in the manuals. :thumbup:

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Hi Spikey I am new myself but I can help you with this info. Anyone here if I have any wrong or would like to add info please go ahead.

1:) If your unit is coming new it will have factory rigs installed. There is no reason to save them because in maintenance mode you can restore them. If you really want to though, you can use the Rig Manger software to take a copy of all your rigs. Keep in mind the new firmware will have additional rigs that it will add automatically via the firmware update.
    2:) You know, I had a problem not being able to swap cabs without first saving it again (thanks to a user who pointed this out in my post) For me the factory reset worked very well!
    3:) Yes, in maintenance mode there is a "factory rigs option" stored in the memory that does not get erased when you re-flash the unit.

So here is what I would do now that I have having some fun.
    1:) Go and download the latest firmware from Kemper
    2:) Format a flash drive via your PC to be Fat32
    3:) Place the downloaded firmware in main folder of the flash drive via your pc. It should be the only file there.
    4:) Safety eject the flash drive from your PC
    5:) Fire up the Kemper
    6:) Plug your flash drive into the rear USB slot
    7:) Wait a few seconds, Mr.Kemper will get a temper and ask you if you would like to update.
    8:) Select OK
    9:) Let it do it's cycle and you will notice on the boot up screen the new firmware version
    10:) When it is fully complete go ahead and remove the flash drive
    OPTIONAL MAINTENANCE MODE BUT I WOULD DO IT
    11:) Power down the Kemper
    12:) Hold the soft key above the LCD at the top left this key is directly to the right of the "Type" knob
    13:) While holding the softkey switch the Kemper to the "Tuner" Mode
    14:) You will now be in the maintenance mode
    15:) Go to recovery screen (soft key 1 on top left)
    16:) Click on "Init&Factory Content" (soft key 3 above LCD)
    17:) Click on "Yes" soft key 2
    18:) You will see "Success!l"
    19:) Click "Ok" softkey 2
    20:) Click the exit button below the browse knob
    21:) You will go back a screen, now click softkey 4 (reboot)
    22:) Select "yes" softkey 2
    23:) You will see as it loads it will say "checking rigs" There should be like 337
    24:) After it checks the rigs it will ask you to enter your name etc. Welcome screen
    25:) Your knob will still be on the tuner, go ahead and plug your guitar in and tune up or turn the knob to Browser Mode where you open the Pandora box!
    If I were you and you are getting the unit new, why go through the trouble adding rigs before updating and re-initializing

I Hope this helps!

• Wow... Just wow thank you Joe for the efforts!!!

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

• My Pleasure bud! I am trying to get some help about getting this thing sounding awesome and properly recording. There are a lot of tips here! Did you opt for the Powerhead version? I did so I can run it through my EVH5150III 4x12 Cab

• I have a pair of Atomic CLR's for my studio so I went with the non-powered rack... I have a 1960a gathering dust and I guess I should look for a power amp at some point ... This time next weekend I expect to be neck deep in a KPA :thumbup:

• Keep in mind the new firmware will have additional rigs that it will add automatically via the firmware update.

no new rigs will be added to the browse pool, unless you restore the factory rigs after a fw update.

By the way, I used your maintenance mode initialize method and originally when updating a 2.7 new kemper head to 3.2.1, the factory rigs came in at 296. After doing the factory rig initialization, there were 337 like you said. Thanks, people might not know this!

exactly. this is by design. we won't touch your rigs.If you want the new content, do a factory rig restore.

• On a side note, is there a way to verify you have all the factory rigs in your head by using Rig Exchange? Or would you have to factory initialize the head, transfer all rigs to a folder in rig exchange and then restore your backup and cross check?

Rig Exchange won't help you here.
    The factory rigs are in several places nowadays.
    1. Make sure you retrieve the current factory content frim the sysem menu.
    2. Download all the legacy factory rigs from Kemper.