Single Coil Pickup Advice

• Absolutely recommended. I have one Strat fully equipped with a Redhouse Set.

Bringing this thread up since my assembled strat needs some new pickups.
    I have two Klein Jazzy cat plus a Zexcoil in the bridge.
    The Zexcoil sounds as it should, so it is basically a PAF,
    The Jazzy cat are vey dry in the midst, with too much top end.
    I came across the Leosounds and mr Pantleon suggested me to give a try to the Irish tour set.
    Any direct experience on these?
    Are the Redhouse too dark?

• @Jimmyno: The Redhouse are not dark. IMO they are comparable to Texas Specials. They deliver more output without losing the sparkle and becoming too muddy.

Thank you.
    did you had the canche to try other Leosounds products? He suggested me the Irish Tour Set to fix the "dry" sound of my guitar.

My strat pickguard is loaded with suhr pu's.
    Great sound. Saw some +1 here for suhr.

Cheers
    Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for your contribution.
    I have a set of V60LP in my alder/rosewood fretboard american standard and I truly love them.
    But I don't know if a completely different guitar, as my ash/maple fretboard assembled strat is.
    Which Suhr's are you using and how's made your strat?
    Thank you.
    Giacomo

• Thank you.
    did you had the canche to try other Leosounds products? He suggested me the Irish Tour Set to fix the "dry" sound of my guitar.

No, I only know the Redhouse from my own experience.
    But why not talking to Michael Pantleon directly? He's very good in describing the differences of his pickups .

• I meant to chime back in here as well. I finally swapped the bridge ssl-v so its in phase with the other pickups. Im loving the tones i get now. Absolutely love it. Positions 2 and 4 sound extremely clear. Neck is super fat and glassy, middle is the same but a little tighter, and the bridge gets that nasal honk without getting all ice pick. The blender knob is virtually useless - too low and it doesnt really do anything, too high and the blend isnt desirable. At about 75% its good though - it adds a little bass to the bridge but otherwise doesnt change the bridge tone at all. And it doesnt seem to do anything to the neck. So probably not worth it but not complaining.

Thanks to all who helped. And btw, i fixed my computer/interference issues. Unless im using a really high gain patch (which i dont for this guitar), theres no noticeable noise issues. Ill post clips soon.

Curious to hear more clips of the higher end stuff. I went cheap and got everything used off ebay.

• Hi, its the Micheal Landau set, new called ML Set, former its called FL set.
    This set makes the tone warmer in pos 2 ,4,5.
    And the bridge pick up has a coll presence and out put. I think there are some examples of the set on youtube.

• That's what I did @Ingolf :)
    I sent him an email and he ended up suggesting me the Irish tour set and the Animal set (unfortunately this last has no clips).
    I have eard Red House and the Irish on the website.
    The RH sound fat to me, but I don't know if its just an impression, while the Irish Tour sound similar to my suhrs. The question is how will they sound in such a bright guitar.
    Is it your strat Alder or ash?

• I meant to chime back in here as well. I finally swapped the bridge ssl-v so its in phase with the other pickups. Im loving the tones i get now. Absolutely love it. Positions 2 and 4 sound extremely clear. Neck is super fat and glassy, middle is the same but a little tighter, and the bridge gets that nasal honk without getting all ice pick. The blender knob is virtually useless - too low and it doesnt really do anything, too high and the blend isnt desirable. At about 75% its good though - it adds a little bass to the bridge but otherwise doesnt change the bridge tone at all. And it doesnt seem to do anything to the neck. So probably not worth it but not complaining.

I wonder if this is an issue with the taper and/or resistance of the pot - possibly a replacement would solve the problem?

• I wonder if this is an issue with the taper and/or resistance of the pot - possibly a replacement would solve the problem?

the blender at maximum should give you both the Bridge+Neck, also at maximum blend should be the same whether your on the bridge or neck so if you're in the bridge at full blend, switching to the neck shouldn't do anything. The combination of bridge an neck should be similar to the twang you get from a tele. At least you're getting the bridge + Neck

• That's what I did @Ingolf :)
    I sent him an email and he ended up suggesting me the Irish tour set and the Animal set (unfortunately this last has no clips).
    I have eard Red House and the Irish on the website.
    The RH sound fat to me, but I don't know if its just an impression, while the Irish Tour sound similar to my suhrs. The question is how will they sound in such a bright guitar.
    Is it your strat Alder or ash?

My Strat is Alder with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard .

• [quote='Jimmyno','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25042-Single-Coil-Pickup-Advice/?postID=305419#post305419']@Eltzejupp, thank you.
    I had a set a FL standard which didn't shock me, but that strat was an average mexican alder/rosewood and the bridge.
    What do you have, standard or vintage?[/quot

I use the slighly hotter ML standards. You can hear an example on my soundcloud account. Search for eltzejupp. There is a tune recorded with the strat and the dick profile from bert meulendijk. It s called BM shower dick dale.

• To clarify, with blender on full, the tone is identical for bridge or neck selector. Im just not much of a fan of the sound. It gets quite dull. At ab 75%, on neck selector, the tone is virtually identical to blender at min - theres not much added from the bridge pickup you can heat if any. For bridge selector, the sound is similar when blender is at 75%vs 0%, but the fatness from the neck is coming through. Very happy with that. The ssl-v bridge is definitely not super bright like a normal strat bridge, which i also like. All 3 pots are new 250k.

• What about the The Antiquity Texas Hot for Strat Set? gotta be better then Stock..
    i am getting those (giving stock the back side, cant stand noiseless)

265$ tho

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I ordered and am waiting for a set of Virgil Arlo pickups. Expensive and 8 week wait, but figured I would give them a try. If they don't work for me can always sell them as they are hard to find. Will update when I get them installed.

• ... cant stand noiseless)

265$ tho

Ash

I keep going back to the Kinman's wood stock (noiseless) as the best all around pickups and they have less noise than humbuckers, as a matter of fact they can hang with any humbucker! aren't they cheaper in your neck of the woods. In NY I paid 260 which at first I though was expensive but they are worth every penny.

• I ordered and am waiting for a set of Virgil Arlo pickups. Expensive and 8 week wait, but figured I would give them a try. If they don't work for me can always sell them as they are hard to find. Will update when I get them installed.

Fine. I'm interested in.