phish rigs?

• Trey Anastasio's rig is beyond complex, making it really difficult to nail down a rig tone for him. He's used Fender amps, Bogner (the Shiva, I believe), Mesa MK3, and several others over his career, and often tours with a multi-amp setup. Not to mention a pedal board larger than some stages I've played on. The Kemper won't do multi-amp, so you'll have to find something similar.

I would try Guidorist's or Pete's Profile's Bogner rigs. They have some great cleans and you can probably find a gain sound similar to that. Otherwise, you might need to do some research on his rig to find out what he does and uses at particular phases of his career to mimic those sounds.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• While everything Dougc84 said above is correct, for most of his career Trey has used his old Mesa MK3 from like 1986 or something. 2x 212 cabinets, both homemade. You could just get by with a single 212.

I would start by finding a clean Mesa MK3 profile, bump the mids a bunch. Put a Green Scream in both stomps 1 and 2, with the first one set to mid gain, and the second one set to full scream (use your ears...it might be less than full on the KPA). Then add a compressor in stomp 3 (Trey runs his compressor AFTER his OD's) and adjust it for fairly heavy compression for early period Phish, less compression for more current tones.

Use your volume knob a lot.

That's should get you close, but his guitar is is also a big part of his sound. A semi-hollow like a 335 should be pretty close sounding.

To be honest, I haven;t had much luck getting a great Trey sound with my KPA, but I don't have any Mesa profiles either.

Let us know how it goes!

• Just found this thread. I'm a big fan of Trey's. Key to Trey's tone is his fingers (obvious) and that Languedoc. But I realized how much it's his fingers when they played this Halloween and he used a Strat. Basically the same tone with a radically different guitar. Unbelievable.

• Just found this thread. I'm a big fan of Trey's. Key to Trey's tone is his fingers (obvious) and that Languedoc. But I realized how much it's his fingers when they played this Halloween and he used a Strat. Basically the same tone with a radically different guitar. Unbelievable.

Yes it was really close. Definitely has a lot to do with his touch.

But he was also using this guitar which has a sustainer pickup in the neck position.

https://www.fender.com/pages/e…en-sustainer-stratocaster

• I was fortunate to grow up in New England and got to witness Phish go from bar/college band to legendary status. Trey’s tone evolved quite a bit during that time, and it is still changing to this day. I’m not as in love with his tone as I used to be, but he still sounds great. When I first saw them his tone was still quite raw and unrefined. And he played LOUD. He had no effects at all except for a little reverb that he would sometimes crank during the jam in Reba and get really spacey.

Here’s a link to my first show. It’s not the best Phish show....they still hadn’t quite dialed it in yet, but it blew my mind at the time. I had never heard or seen anything like it. The whole band sounds pretty raw, and apparently they blew one of the PA speakers during the first set which Paul Languedoc fixed at set break.

http://phishtracks.com/shows/1989-11-02

I have been seeing them ever since....just went to 3 shows in Denver last August.

• Nice. I prefer his tone from 98-2000. I'm okay with it now, but like you not in love with it. That '89 recording still has the base tone that you hear really up until 2009. I wish he would go back to the Deluxe Reverb and crank up that Ross a bit more.

• Nice. I prefer his tone from 98-2000. I'm okay with it now, but like you not in love with it. That '89 recording still has the base tone that you hear really up until 2009. I wish he would go back to the Deluxe Reverb and crank up that Ross a bit more.

Yeah I liked the Deluxe Reverb tone too. But for me the prime years for his tone, and Phish as a whole, were from about 1992 - 1995. But I’m a big fan of the early proggy stuff more than the late 90’s funkier stuff. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that that’s what they were mostly playing when I was at my Peak Phish Fan stage. Don’t get me wrong though...I like 90% of what they do.

That ‘89 recording is the Boogie that he still has that he also started using again after the “break up”. He’s not using it anymore for some reason.

Still haven’t truly succeeded in getting his tone with the Kemper. Close, no cigar. It’s mostly the lead tone I struggle with and to be honest, that’s what I struggle with Kemper-wise whether I’m going for a Trey tone or not.

I’m hoping that the revamped stomps will help, if that’s actually going to happen.

• I'm probably in the minority, but I really like where Phish is right now. Those Allman-ish peaky major key jams are what I really go for these days. I was at Hampton and that Simple was exactly what I'm looking for. Actually the Carini from 2013 Hampton was amazing too. Ghost tends to deliver on those types of jams as well.

I can get close to Trey's tone in my tube amp rig. I use an AnalogMan CompRosser and a DRRI. I ditched my two Tube Screamers for an AnalogMan KoT but it hasn't made that much difference.

I haven't even tried with the Kemper but I'm a new user.

• I had tix for Hampton but couldn’t go....blah. My GF went and she said first night was amazing. I should listen.

I’m also happy with where they’re at now. Trey is healthy and alive...that’s what matters most. I don’t know if you were at Coventry but...ouch. He was in rough shape.

• Has anyone worked on the recommendations above?

Guitar>TubeScreamer1>Tubescreamer2>Compressor>MesaMKIII

Most of the pedals he has aren't used for his main tone, they're effects and "digicrap" as his board says and as he explained in his rig rundown youtube video. His hollowbody guitar through the pair of screamers, compressor and Mesa are the main sound.