What FX are covered by your KPA.......

• What rumours?! Did I miss something?

I should probably wait before buying the delay pedal I've being watching on ebay then? :)

I've not been totally satisfied with the FX in Kemper, and have mentally built a pedal board for the last few weeks.

• I have found most of the effecrs in the kpa top notch with a few exceptions. Delay and reverb clearly need the most work. It could use some enhancements in the dirt pedals too. Everything else i feel is on par or superior to what else is on the market. The last fx that got the royal treatment are the pitch shifters. I think that turned out very very well. Im optimistic. You can always sell 3rd party gear down the line if the kpa updates make it obsolete.

• What rumours?! Did I miss something?

I should probably wait before buying the delay pedal I've being watching on ebay then? :)

I've not been totally satisfied with the FX in Kemper, and have mentally built a pedal board for the last few weeks.

Nothing official, but I'm certainly not buying any delay pedals in the near future.

• I think you guys are blowing this rumor out of proportion...

Not even the Axe fx as Strymon quality effects imo.I believe effects will be upgraded (it's long due) but it won't be strymon like quality.

Not even the Axe fx as Strymon quality effects imo.I believe effects will be upgraded (it's long due) but it won't be strymon like quality.

So, what's so awesome about Strymon?

I just want that sounds good, and is somewhat tweakable. Some of the KPA settings are somewhat unlogical. At least to me...

• So, what's so awesome about Strymon?

I just want that sounds good, and is somewhat tweakable. Some of the KPA settings are somewhat unlogical. At least to me...

I never said "awesome" (those are your words not mine), i talked about quality effects.If it's "awesome" or not that's a personal opinion and point of view.

Strymon does in fact produce quality digital effects, the Strymon El Capistan per example is the only tape delay emulation out there that gets close to an old echoplex ep3 i once i had. Nothing on the market comes close ( and like i said not even the Axe Fx which is known for it's effects).

These last days there's been running a rumor on the forum saying we will get a new FW that will update the existent effects on the Kemper to the level of quality of the likes of Strymon. It's a pretty bold statement and i highly doubt the machine will be able to pull something of this level.

Kemper reverbs and delays are lacklustre, the other effects in the machine are ok and some are really great. Im hoping to see improvements in delays and reverb, but im definitely not expecting delays and reverbs with the same quality of those present in Strymon products.

It's an unrealistic goal, and i think whoever is expecting for that will probably end up disappointed.

• oh, I just know that the Axe have been lauded for it's effects. So if Strymon is percieved better (!), I was curious. I've never heard of them before. :)

So yeah, awesome were my words... I were just curious. Never meant to out words in your mouth. Sorry 'bout that.

• There's a perception online that the Kemper's effects are substandard, I've seen it around the internet as one of the weaknesses from people that have never tried one.

I've played quite a few delay/reverb processors over the years and whilst the Kemper may not be as flexible as some, in a live band and recorded mix the Kemper holds its own for most purposes. I concede that in creating amazing, self gratifying tones that a whole song is centred around it may disappoint some but for me, I've never had any desire to plug anything else into the Kemper.

Of course Kemper will not deliver Strymon quality FXs with the actual modeling technology which take much much power. BUT Kemper is a very innovative company and could create a new way to achieve this goal!

To be honest I don't expect that much but with CK who knows... ;)

• Just wondering why some folks are thinking the Strymon pedals have more processing power than the Kemper? The Timeline was out before Kemper (I think??) and the cheaper Strymons (El cap for instance) offer the same quality but less functionality. Those pedals are much cheaper and simpler than a Kemper. Of course, this doesn't mean the processing power in Kemper is stronger but....... Who knows? I don't know the answer, I'm just interested because logic would say Kemper has more so if someone can enlighten me that would be great :)

But whether it is more powerful or not is pretty much irrelevant compared with what you do with it..... My PC has processing power that makes the Kemper seem like a pocket calculator yet no-one has been able to make an amp sim on the PC that beats the ability of the Kemper. I know Fx are a different game entirely but there are algorithms on the PC for reverb that beat Strymons otherwise all studios would be using them as outboard gear rather than using plugins or vintage gear :) I live in hope that the guys who have made the best sounding software amps can do something special with the resources they have. The thing that makes the Strymons special is the group of clever guys with good ears that work there. Kemper also have clever guys with good ears. :)

all IMO by the way. And not bashing Strymon - I have Strymon pedals and they're great

• CK was responsible for the access virus synth which was and still is an industry standard synth. Like Gary mentioned above I think the KPA team have been very clever with whatever processing power the KPA has inside. As long as the people making the effects know what there customer base need and can produce then the quality should be there. Maybe improvement on the effects will come at some point and compete with some of the big boys out there

• I've had Strymon pedals in the past, and they truly are great. However, I do get the impression that most of their power comes from very clever algorithms, rather than cutting edge hardware. And, given that we've got the King of clever algorithms steering the Good Ship Kemper, Captain CK, maybe it's not such a leap of the imagination to hope for fx of a similar quality to Strymon? I'll hold on to my HoF reverb pedal a little longer, but abstain from the Timeline purchase just to see how the next FW update unfolds :)

• The thing is while a Strymon pedal as only one function (be an effect pedal ) the Kemper unit as a lot more stuff going on.
    While that said i think where Strymon pedals shine is in the details,

I was having a private conversation with a member here yesterday about this.

For exemple the Strymon El Cpaistan really get's close too old tape machines in the emulation of it's flaws (that too my ears is a beautiful sound), the noises, the tape degradation and simple things like the sound of a tape skipping (that one is a tape delay ringer!My old Ep3 would do a lot of times that).

These "flaws" is what makes a diference in a successful emulation or a generic one.It's very common we see effect company's take on tape emulation be just a dark delay with some generic modulation behind it.

Everyone who had real experience with a tape delay knows that the real thing is far more than that.
    Most effect company's neglect the tape delay flaws in their emulations, but in my opinion it's those flaws(and the randomness that come with them) that makes old tape delays such magical machines.

• All correct what what makes you assume that Kemper isn't capable of developing and handling this for the Profiler?

• And in this regard i dont know what im missing having never used an old tape delay or a strymon. I dont know but think that Kemper probably wont hit that level of detail; however, it will likely have other features that strymon and old tape delays do not have...also beautiful.

• All correct what what makes you assume that Kemper isn't capable of developing and handling this for the Profiler?

The thing is while a Strymon pedal as only one function (be an effect pedal ) the Kemper unit as a lot more stuff going on.

Because of this.

I really doubt we will see an emulation like the El Capistan in Kemper.Tape degradation, tape noise (crackle and so on) , take skipping, the general randomness that comes with these old machines.

It's these great details that make the emulation a lot more believable.

I just can't see something like this being produced on the Kemper, like in said in the first sentence in that post a pedal is just a pedal.It has only one main task to hog on it's dsp power.There's a lot more going on the Kemper and the resources of the machine must be divided.

I believe we will have improved delays (actually, i know...) but i think we are shooting too high when people say it will be on par with the quality of Strymon Delays.
    No even the Axe Fx who as a lot more dsp power than the Kemper as delay effects with same quality and attention to detail as the ones that Strymon produces.