What FX are covered by your KPA.......

• I will do just a "wild guess" and please anyone who knows better should correct me..

The only real question is whether or not the KPA has enough processing power to handle everything when it's all added together.

I guess this is the main issue that some effects like spring reverb are still not available;AFAIK specially this effect needs a lots of CPU power..the AXE FX with its double supa dupa DSPs has it;I am not sure but it would be no big surprise.

Then again CK is a innovative guy with a superb crew which can do "the max for less" aka most bang for the buck.The Profiler is best proof for this.I would not be very surprised if the Kemper guys find also some tricky algos to achieve things ie FX like they achieved with the tricky amp profiling while keeping the price reasonable..

No.I would not be surprised at all.Patience.

• Yes! I suspect that the time it takes for Kemper to release new reverbs and delays is function of the research they made to achieve a new and innovative level in FXs modeling which will not take as much processing than the Fractal or Strymon older paradigm.

Of course, it's all speculations but, with Kemper, not so much...

Edited 2 times, last by Pick909 ().

• The only real question is whether or not the KPA has enough processing power to handle everything when it's all added together.

Being an engineer myself, I can see lots of tricks that CK has yet to employ.

I agree that some algorithms are quite costly with respect to processing. A very common trick is to limit the stackup of efx in the chain in order to put more processing into a few slots vs less processing into more slots.

I don't know about you guys, but MOST of the rigs I use have LOTS of open processing slots. I generally put a pure boost in position 5 on ALL my rigs just to raise my level up a slight bit. This is a great example of an effect that would be inexpensive in terms of processing (free in reality).

With this trick in mind, I strongly suspect that CK could put some insanely powerful verbs and delays into the KPA.

This possibility has me very excited! That would be one hell of a firmware upgrade IMO :)

For the record, I find the delays to be quite adequate, but do wish for a good plate verb :(

• The only thing I'd rather not face is the Line 6 situation where some effects use more resources than others. At some point you'll have that patch where you can't pick the Spring Reverb without having to drop something else. It was part of the joy of coming over!

• Well thats always been the case. Kemper has been good so far about preventing the possibility of running out of dsp, but the more feature rich and powerful the effect, the more inevitable it will be to create a patch thats beyond the units power. If we are demanding being able to use as many delays as we want, and they have all kinds of features and a large buffer size, we may have to face this restriction. It would still be much more rare than on the pod hd, but you either sacrifice user power or features. That said, the kpa has operated lean and mean thus far, avoiding the dsp issues of the competitors. Thats definitely on purpose and lets see what happens. If there are limitations, i believe the ui will accomodate it gracefully

• I really have no idea what the processor in the KPA is or how much spare overhead it typically has etc, but I would have assumed the initial KPA design would have overspec'd it considerably to allow for ever more demanding future features etc.

There are a lot of posts here questioning processing power. Does anyone anyone know if this is even a real issue, or are we just speculating?

I'd be interested to find out.

• Its speculation. The only mention of dsp limitations ive ever heard is in regards to running multiple profiles simultaneously. I wouldnt worry, but i just think the kpa team should not worry about allowing the user to max out dsp with a graceful way of handling it on the ui. Otherwise you are really limiting the user. For example, a big request is allowing multiple delays. Do we want delay limited to slots d and delay only, or available to any slot...but using 7 with time maxed and using all features might run into issues, although these wouldnt likely be a feasible usage anyway.

• I have not been too fond of the boost or distortion sounds, so I still use a variety of those. The Kemper works really well with them.

I should try my HOF in the chain, as I have one laying around unused. What settings are you using OP?

• I have not been too fond of the boost or distortion sounds, so I still use a variety of those. The Kemper works really well with them.

I should try my HOF in the chain, as I have one laying around unused. What settings are you using OP?

Settings for the HoF? Nothing special. I've just got it placed after the Kemper, going into my DXR10. Primarily using it for spring, and plate, tone set to 12 o'clock, toggle switch set in the up position (not that it seems to make too much difference). Then the rest just dialled in as needed. Quite like the "Church" setting for a nice, ambient and big shimmery-type sound too.

• Correct me if i'm wrong: The Kemper uses a Motorola DSP chip. The Strymon's (and AXE FX) use SHARC DSP chips. From what i've been told the SHARC's are dramatically more powerful chips (but are potentially harder to code on).

I personally don't see Strymon level of effects happening on the Kemper. I'm sure the updated effects (if the rumors are correct) will sound great, but asides from not having as much horsepower, the Strymon folks have been focused solely on developing effects for quite some time now, whereas the the Kemper team probably does not have the luxury of dedicating as much time on just effects as Strymon does.

• I don't necessarily believe that the Kemper needs "Strymon quality" reverbs, and delays. There are plenty of "lesser" units that compare very favourably to the Strymon's of this world. I'm pretty sure that the KPA could sit with them very easily.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hot damn - maybe I'll hold onto the $ I was thinking about spending for an H9

I thought about that as well, but decided to go for it anyway. The H9 is a deceptively powerful little bugger, I'm probably going to grab a second one eventually just to have access to both the delays and reverbs.

• I have noticed that not all FX play nicely in the loop of the Kemper (they sound dull and muffled). But I generally run a delay and reverb after the Kemper.

I recently dusted off my old Magicstomp and put it in the loop - the delays and verbs in that can compete with the best.