Traditional Compressor Settings

• Hi,

I think it would be nice to have the traditional compressor settings for the compressor pedals.
    Attach, Release, Ratio, Threshold etc.

I know we should set things by ear but this could help tailor the sound more and offer a little more flexibility.

Thanks for listening.
    Jason

• I made this point some time ago and got shouted down.
    I'm a huge fan of compressor pedals, and find the comp in the Kemper sounds good. However, the naming of the controls make life unnecessarily hard.
    I have read all the explanations in the manual of the controls but, it still seems ridiculous to give new names to controls that we're all used to.
    No need to reinvent the wheel, or, more like, give it a new name.

• The one that we already have is based on a Dyna/Ross type pedal. So changing the control names to something like the dosen or so pedals based on that circuit might be the way to go.
    I think the issues people have with most of the Kempers effects could be solved by just renaming the controls.

• the compressor stomp follows the 'traditional' compressor pedal setup:
    Intensity is self-explanatory, the ratio in these pedals is always fixed (infinity), Attack is clearly labeled and the Squash parameter is carrying a new/unfamiliar name because it is a new parameter
    from the manual:
    "Squash
    This gives you control over the dynamic behavior of the compression. At the center position the compressor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the string's decay, resulting in less squash. When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings ́ decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. You will notice that the compressor recovers from squashing when you let the strings decay further - even boosting the sound a little, compared to when you hit the strings. Now, the compressor
    becomes really noticeable!

“Squash” does not change the compression ratio. The compression ratio is always infinite on vintage stomp
    compressors.
    "

and about re-inventing the wheel:
    [Blocked Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMyiLuKUwAA6l-V.jpg]

:D

I understand this is really a request for a studio compressor with the usual parameters,
    I just wanted to point out that a compressor pedal and a rack compressor are two different entities and that the parameters of the stomp reflect that.
    Honestly, I never saw a guitarist use a full featured rack compressor, to me these are mix tools.

• Don made good points, and did so very well IMHO.

What I think it comes down to is whether or not one has an (audio) engineering background, in which case "release" might be more familiar than "squash", and so on, or a strictly-guitar playing one where one is much more likely to have employed pedals who's parameters were thusly labelled.

As a multi-instrumentalist / engineer, these terms are foreign and confusing to me, and surely are limited to the world of guitar stomps, so obviously conventional ones would make more sense; they'd be in line with all the other processing (limiting / expansion / compression) terms I'm all too familiar with.

If I'd come from a purely guitar-playing background to the Kemper, it may well be that I'd appreciate the company's sticking with the terms used on the stomps modelled.

Perhaps if / when Kemper gives us a conventional compressor or limiter (LA-style would be nice), either as an output "effect" (it's a processor, not an effect) or one that's able to be used in a stomp slot, the parameters will be appropriately named for the device, and Kemper, through its diligence and consistently-logical approach, would in so doing prove it was correct all along.

Kemper wins in the end.

• Maybe a new compressor with traditional controls would be cool. I know we should always just use our ears to set sound. But having more standardized controls would help some of us get there a little faster and fine tune the sustain, etc.

• Maybe a new compressor with traditional controls would be cool. I know we should always just use our ears to set sound. But having more standardized controls would help some of us get there a little faster and fine tune the sustain, etc.

The Intensity knob is a combined treshold and make-up gain in the tradition of guitar compressors.
    We should call it "Sustain", rather than "Treshold". However, Sustain reminds me more of a release control, and it would not help you.

The Squash control is not a release control, this is why we did not name it "Release".