Given some of the "questions" from new KPA owners ==> frustration levels reaching danger levels

• Allow me a quick rant and chance to vent some frustrations, which, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find are shared by many of my fellow KPA forum members...

So, here goes.

What is it with people, these days??

For the life of me, I cannot understand...NAY, I REFUSE to understand how people can spend north of $2K on a piece of sophisticated guitar gear (the KPA), yet refuse to do the most rudimentary due diligence by reading the Basic and Reference User Manuals.

Instead, we get questions that literally could have been answered if they put the minimum amount of effort into reading the manuals.

I must say, the Kemper community is great, and has the collective patience of a proverbial "saint". However, be that as it may, I have wanted to do an epic Face-Palm on so many, many occasions.

Again, it simply boggles my mind that someone could make such a sizable investment, yet literally put ZERO effort and work into actually researching and studying their new device.

How many times do we hear the excuse: "I don't like to read". "I don't have time for a stinkin' manual". "I just want to dive right in". Yet, as soon as they hit their first obstacle (typically within a few hours), they are right here posting their question. And guess what? They are investing time in corresponding and READING member feedback with answers and solutions.

Now, make no mistake. I am not talking about legit questions. I am talking about silly questions that could have been answered by either a 20 second Google search, or a minute and a half context search through the .PDF user manuals.

Believe it or not, I normally subscribe to the principle of "There is no stupid question", provided the person asking the question has put at least a minimum amount of effort and thought into the problem. However, there has been so many instances in which this is not the case. So, I now say, YES indeed...there is such a thing as a stupid question. Read the friggin' manuals for Pete's sake.

Yeah, I am grumpy tonight. :P:D

• Let me ask you something back:
    How much money did you spend for your car?
    Have you ever looked at the manual?

.. Probably not... You think you know how to use it, you know it needs a oil change from time to time and some gas, when it tells you it gets empty.
    You had some cars before and think you can use it as you are not stupid...
    It's the same with kpa: many people had an amp or even modeler before and think it should work "as known"...

• It doesn't matter if it's a car or the KPA. What we're talking about is a general attitude towards getting answers for questions which are covered by a manual.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I read the manual and reference guide, twice. I continue to refer to it when I have questions on certain less explored features.

That said, the manuals are static pieces of data. And they aren't perfect.

Also, not everyone learns the same way. I am personally guilty of sometimes needing certain concepts explained to me more than once, and in more than one way, for me to fully grasp it. I am a naturally inquisitive person. I ask questions. I can't ask a manual.

Sometimes nothing less than an open dialog or conversation will suffice. Let's cut new users some slack.

If you are frustrated by new uses asking questions, an Internet community may not be your best choice for unwinding after a long day.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Asking questions in an internet community is ok, that's what forums are for. But there are some people who are asking pretty basic questions and in these cases I can't avoid the impression that they are simply too lazy to read the manual.

• Asking questions in an internet community is ok, that's what forums are for. But there are some people who are asking pretty basic questions and in these cases I can't avoid the impression that they are simply too lazy to read the manual.

If you perceive a question to be silly, don't read the thread. Let someone else handle it. There are many users in this community more than willing to assist.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• As you can see with a look at the number of my posts I'm willing to assist too. Anyway...to each his own opinion. Hard to tell you what I mean 'cause I'm no native speaker.

• If you perceive a question to be silly, don't read the thread. Let someone else handle it. There are many users in this community more than willing to assist.

I respectfully disagree with this approach/philosophy and it carries over from my issue with the silly thread in the other forum. I would hope that we all want to keep the knowledgeable folks engaged in helping solve the more difficult questions for the community and not burnt out by having to sift through silly questions and off-topic humor. The quickest way you are going to lose those folks is by allowing the forum to fill up with a lot of crap that isn't worth their time.

By all means if the majority here doesn't really care about keeping some standard of organization (i.e. a separate forum for off-topic posts; moving specific posts to appropriate forums),or if they lose a few of the more dedicated and knowledgeable folks who get tired of sifting through the same old questions that people could have answered themselves, (and adopt a 'someone else will always answer the question'), there is no doubt the community will persist - but my guess is the serious, dedicated people we want to keep engaged will ultimately feel like there is no need for them here any more and get tired of it and their attendance and participation will be less and less. I've seen it before elsewhere and suspect its just par for the course in any internet forum - I'm hoping we are better than that.

When I first found this forum, maybe it was a mistake on my part, but it sure seemed there was a lot better signal to noise ratio than there appears to be now - I guess I was mistaken.

• On the other hand, there's nothing like a bit of spice. Pure trouble-shooting can become tiresome even for the most dedicated.

I for one am not a robot and therefore appreciate the human element in things. I won't use automated checkouts at the supermarket for the same reason; even if I have to wait in a queue, I'd rather do so and deal with a human being.

The mechanical act of shopping is helping folks in the forum, the conversation with the checkout chick is the spice, or as some might put it, the buffoonery one can choose to partake in right here in Kemper Land™.

Obviously only my human opinion, so one's mileage may vary... a lot.

• You would think I would have learned this valuable life lesson by now, which is:

Avoid writing a potentially inflammatory post when you have had a few too many pints...despite well meaning intentions and the gentlest of hearts. :saint:

Just to be clear...I wholeheartedly encourage new KPA owners (and forum members) in asking questions and engaging with the community. In the hopes of avoiding any misunderstanding or misinterpretation, allow me to recapitulate my thoughts by emphasizing the concluding statements of my original post:

Now, make no mistake. I am not talking about legit questions. I am talking about silly questions that could have been answered by either a 20 second Google search, or a minute and a half context search through the .PDF user manuals.

Believe it or not, I normally subscribe to the principle of "There is no stupid question", provided the person asking the question has put at least a minimum amount of effort and thought into the problem. However, there has been so many instances in which this is not the case.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• I respectfully disagree with this approach/philosophy and it carries over from my issue with the silly thread in the other forum.

I think that silly thread you are referring to, is great example of community building through humor. And that is good thing, I think. :)
    Your issue in that thread came from telling people who are having fun, that it's inappropriate in that place. Don't be surprised when they don't agree with you. :) If you really think the post should be moved elsewhere, you can still report it to moderators. As for me, I don't really pay attention to location of posts. I only go through all unread posts and read only those which am i interested in. If I find out that post is not for me, or I don't want to take part, i simply close it. You can find many troubleshooting posts elsewhere and they are answered without problem.

With all respect and peace, I think one should try to understand the community mood and the members first, before he/she makes any "housecleaning" attempts. KPA forum is the first forum I am part of and I did few mistakes in communication, too. But I have learned a lot about forum etiquette from other members. This way I would like to thank them. :)
    This is really helpful and positive-biased forum. One of the reasons I am still part of it.

• It doesn't matter if it's a car or the KPA. What we're talking about is a general attitude towards getting answers for questions which are covered by a manual.

You're generally right.
    But to me, the forum as is now is fine.
    People from all over the place jump in to help even with the most basic of questions (which of course would have been covered by the manual).
    But the forum is self regulating as well. And a 'RTFM' from time to time is in order and (I have seen it given as an answer, too). ;)

• I agree that many questions which are answered in the manual can be tiring to hear over and over.
    When I got my KPA I read the manual cover to cover....in bed, on my lunch break, after soundcheck etc. Then I just dived in and started messing with things in order to learn what they do.

I feel if more people did this many basic questions could be avoided. But then again, I don't expect anyone to live their lives the way I live mine.

With that being said, there are many times where the manuals are not very clear. I can't think of any examples right now, but I distinctly remember going to the manual a number of times and thinking, "this is not very helpful."

• I think that silly thread you are referring to, is great example of community building through humor. And that is good thing, I think. :)
    Your issue in that thread came from telling people who are having fun, that it's inappropriate in that place. Don't be surprised when they don't agree with you. :) If you really think the post should be moved elsewhere, you can still report it to moderators. As for me, I don't really pay attention to location of posts. I only go through all unread posts and read only those which am i interested in. If I find out that post is not for me, or I don't want to take part, i simply close it. You can find many troubleshooting posts elsewhere and they are answered without problem.

With all respect and peace, I think one should try to understand the community mood and the members first, before he/she makes any "housecleaning" attempts. KPA forum is the first forum I am part of and I did few mistakes in communication, too. But I have learned a lot about forum etiquette from other members. This way I would like to thank them. :)
    This is really helpful and positive-biased forum. One of the reasons I am still part of it.

You right Peto, but to much verbs.

• Perhaps your wright,( at least about being grumpy tonight ) ;) but does 'complaning about it makes you happy?
    I have read the manuals all at least four times and sometimes I still have questions, that probably could be found somewhere in the manual if i read it five or six times.
    On every forum there are people that are willing to help you without a problem and there will always people that can't help it to come with a RTFM answer.
    I personaly can't understand the last category, so perhaps they could ask themeselves the same question witch you started this topic with " What is it with people, these days?? ;)
    I prefer a more friendly forum where people will/can help each other without refering to the manual, and 'till now its been that way, please keep it the way it is
    And if only questions should be asked that are not somewhere in a manual, its gonna be a small forum isn't it? :P

Edited 5 times, last by Dorrus ().

• I read the manuals and watched all of the YouTube tutorials I could find, and yet I still learn about new stuff when somebody asks what may seem like a very basic question, and somebody answers with additional information that you won't easily find otherwise. It's all good.

• I think a well-placed RTFM (not necessarily in those words) can be helpful to the recipient. Teach a man to fish and all that...

The same goes for not just the Kemper, but for their interfaces and DAWs as well :) If you want to do recording, mixing and all that jazz - even on a hobby level - put in the time to get the basic understanding by reading the manuals. It will help you MUCH more in the long run. When inspiration strikes and you have an audio issue, do you want to fix it fast (looking it up immediately) or wait until somebody has the time to answer your post?

This goes tenfold for anybody who has at least SOME ambition of recording other people/mixing for them/whatever down the line. And related to this don't get me started on the "I have a problem with my setup, which new expensive interface should I get?" There will always be problems. If you don't learn to troubleshoot and fix them fast ON YOUR OWN, you won't become successful. Also, if your first reaction is to throw money at the problem, there's no way you'll grow a successful business period.

Man... It seems I am grumpy tonight as well.

I've had my own RTFM moments on here, so don't take this post as an attack.