Kemper next generation effects

• I own a Kemper and Axe Fx Mark ll. Love them both and use together often to create my signature sound:-)

I wonder if the current Kemper hardware can ever support the type of complex effect processing found in the Axe Fx? I assume the answer is likely not, because the current product seems to be somewhat leveling out in terms of big 'musical' feature enhancements... hope I'm wrong. That said, I could also say the same for the Axe Fx.

Any thoughts on this, please share?

Cheers
    Bill

• "the current product seems to be somewhat leveling out in terms of big 'musical' feature enhancements..."
    What makes you think its leveled out feature wise?
    There is tons of room on the inside for new things.

• This is being dicussed in another thread, too. You might want to look at it.

What FX are covered by your KPA.......

Regarding the unit running out of ressources: I asked that via e mail before bying a KPA. I was assured, that there is much space left for future updates. And I don't see, why we should not trust the K-Team. So, as we all do, keep checking back for small to big presents any day ^^ .

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I think the problem is not that there isn't enough capacity to run more complex effects, but I feel like Kemper has dug themselves in a little bit of a hole. Here's why, and why it's not necessarily a bad thing for most users:

1. Kemper has a small team. This means development time on an ever-growing codebase takes more time. Real world example: I've been left less than wowed with 3.1/3.2. Pure cab is a nice feature, but it's the only one that has drawn my attention, and, honestly, if it weren't there, I wouldn't really miss it. I'm convinced there's a lot of development time that's gone into it. But the time between 3.0.x and 3.1.4 was one of the longest durations between updates the Kemper firmware has seen so far. Thankfully 3.2 was a pretty short timeframe, but 3.2 feels more like a 3.1.5 to me (semantic versioning should be labeled as MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, and 3.2 was basically just patches - no minor or major updates there). The Rig Manager additions have been great, but I'm left unimpressed by the continual lack of a complete, comprehensive editor, and I don't consider the editor as part of what the Kemper is capable of - it's external to the device, and a separate team should be working on that.
    2. Having a framework to work with makes code easier to develop, faster to execute, and more consistent. In the case of the Kemper, their framework is having 4 stomps, a stack section, 2 variable post-FX, and 2 "locked" post-FX slots (delay and reverb). For most users, this is a solid, standard setup that works great. However, the front panel of the Kemper can't be modified (vinyl applications aside). Running a more complex setup (having the delay and reverb being pre-stack, for example) makes the front panel no longer intuitive (a compressor in the Delay slot just doesn't make sense), and a change in design or hardware becomes a necessity in order to provide a product that's easily understandable.
    3. Things like advanced reverbs and delays have been requested as far back as I can remember. I remember hearing that spring reverb is in the works. But... I just can't justify waiting on their development for these things. The tempo variables on the delay are too limiting, and the lack of anything that's a modification of a dual digital delay is limiting for the way I play. The decay time and the mix on the reverb, when cranked to get ambient sounds, just... sounds fake and almost Line 6-ish (to me, at least, and I don't believe it was ever CK's idea to do anything like a BigSky here). For basic delays and reverbs, it's great, but I've offloaded 100% of my delay and reverb processing to the FX loop, which then means I have two slots that are empty almost all of the time, and a third (X or Mod) occupied by the loop. I'm left with 1 post-stack slot on most of my rigs, and that's really limiting (going back to point 2 where the framework itself breaks down).

So, long story short - I feel like the Kemper is plenty capable of giving us some great additional effects. However, there are some stopping points preventing it from being updated in the way many of us would like to use it. And, considering the time it has taken to get the Kemper to the point where it's at doesn't leave me a lot of hope in getting new and better effects and features soon. I'd truly love to be wrong here.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• 2. Having a framework to work with makes code easier to develop, faster to execute, and more consistent. In the case of the Kemper, their framework is having 4 stomps, a stack section, 2 variable post-FX, and 2 "locked" post-FX slots (delay and reverb). For most users, this is a solid, standard setup that works for many people. However, the front panel of the Kemper can't be modified (vinyl applications aside). Running a more complex setup (having the delay and reverb being pre-stack, for example) makes the front panel no longer intuitive (a compressor in the Delay slot just doesn't make sense), and a change in design or hardware becomes a necessity in order to provide a product that's easily understandable.

They could change the front print on the KPA for future sales and change the names of the slots. I don't think that anyone would mind having an "old"-version if there are just some small design changes and the hardware doesn't change.
    They actually already did something like this: The "Output" section used to be called "Master" in early times.

• What I think we can expect from the unit:
    I think the KPA can justifiably be considered an all in one unit - not at least given the price but also the whole concept.
    Now as perceived by many many users here, the post FX are not matching the quality of the amp profiles.
    Players that tend to such a digital unit for an all in one purpose theses days can expect a quality that is reflecting the price.
    And this is yet not there.

But:
    I think the K-team is listening closely to their customers since this is part of the whole selling concept behind the KPA.
    They have established the KPA as an overall fantastic amp device, and now they will have to find out, in which direction the KPA
    has to be enhanced to satisfy the people that already own it, so they recommend it, and, on the other hand, to convince
    people that are not convinced yet. So they have to find what holds them back and obviously an important thing for many
    (as can be read in different forums) is the somewhat substandard quality of timebased post fx. In other words: Reverb & Delay.

And for this reason I personally believe, that they are working on it and that it will turn out very good. Anything else is speculative...

:thumbup:

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• While it would be nice to expect a major evolution in the Kempers effects, I don't think I'd complain too much if a completely new Kemper unit was released to provide this.
    After all thats what Axe Fx and Line 6 do.

-Computer:Imac-OS Catalina

-Kemper non-powered rack version

-Kemper Remote

• There are 2 effect loops in Kemper. That's one more than average amp has. Kemper is an amp, not a multi FX.

That's incorrect. There is only one FX loop.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• While it would be nice to expect a major evolution in the Kempers effects, I don't think I'd complain too much if a completely new Kemper unit was released to provide this.
    After all thats what Axe Fx and Line 6 do.

I don't see why. A machine like this is - and this is what I was told by the company when asking about the up to dateness before buying - is a container for updates & upgrades, projected for years.
    I have a Zoom G1on in my Gigbag for headphone practise. The reverb on that is simply great. Why should the KPA not be enhanced in this direction?
    While L6 is giving their fanboys a new unit regularly, promising each time that this time they finally made it amplike (til the next unit comes), the AXE is closer to the KPA in that regard. Of course, one day a processor will be old. And there will be a next generation. But this is way too early for my understanding. I don't relate to the age of the KPA here, but on its future-oriented concept.

Kemper is an amp, not a multi FX.

I don't agree here. This is your interpretation of the concept. Mine (among others') is that it is an all in one unit.
    Funny, noone would doubt this regarding the AXE or even the POD... ?(

Edited once, last by Fireloogie ().

• I think the problem is not that there isn't enough capacity to run more complex effects, but I feel like Kemper has dug themselves in a little bit of a hole. Here's why, and why it's not necessarily a bad thing for most users:

1. Kemper has a small team. This means development time on an ever-growing codebase takes more time. Real world example: I've been left less than wowed with 3.1/3.2. Pure cab is a nice feature, but it's the only one that has drawn my attention, and, honestly, if it weren't there, I wouldn't really miss it. I'm convinced there's a lot of development time that's gone into it. But the time between 3.0.x and 3.1.4 was one of the longest durations between updates the Kemper firmware has seen so far. Thankfully 3.2 was a pretty short timeframe, but 3.2 feels more like a 3.1.5 to me (semantic versioning should be labeled as MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, and 3.2 was basically just patches - no minor or major updates there). The Rig Manager additions have been great, but I'm left unimpressed by the continual lack of a complete, comprehensive editor, and I don't consider the editor as part of what the Kemper is capable of - it's external to the device, and a separate team should be working on that.
    2. Having a framework to work with makes code easier to develop, faster to execute, and more consistent. In the case of the Kemper, their framework is having 4 stomps, a stack section, 2 variable post-FX, and 2 "locked" post-FX slots (delay and reverb). For most users, this is a solid, standard setup that works great. However, the front panel of the Kemper can't be modified (vinyl applications aside). Running a more complex setup (having the delay and reverb being pre-stack, for example) makes the front panel no longer intuitive (a compressor in the Delay slot just doesn't make sense), and a change in design or hardware becomes a necessity in order to provide a product that's easily understandable.
    3. Things like advanced reverbs and delays have been requested as far back as I can remember. I remember hearing that spring reverb is in the works. But... I just can't justify waiting on their development for these things. The tempo variables on the delay are too limiting, and the lack of anything that's a modification of a dual digital delay is limiting for the way I play. The decay time and the mix on the reverb, when cranked to get ambient sounds, just... sounds fake and almost Line 6-ish (to me, at least, and I don't believe it was ever CK's idea to do anything like a BigSky here). For basic delays and reverbs, it's great, but I've offloaded 100% of my delay and reverb processing to the FX loop, which then means I have two slots that are empty almost all of the time, and a third (X or Mod) occupied by the loop. I'm left with 1 post-stack slot on most of my rigs, and that's really limiting (going back to point 2 where the framework itself breaks down).

So, long story short - I feel like the Kemper is plenty capable of giving us some great additional effects. However, there are some stopping points preventing it from being updated in the way many of us would like to use it. And, considering the time it has taken to get the Kemper to the point where it's at doesn't leave me a lot of hope in getting new and better effects and features soon. I'd truly love to be wrong here.

If certain sources are correct, this all might be moot fairly soon...