Advice for spdif recording and reamping with RME UCX?

• Long time Kemper user.

Looking to use SPDIF and do re-amping with my RME UCX.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use Presonus Studio One 3 pro as a DAW.

Any pointers or any vids or well done explanations also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's part of the plan DamianGreda.

Didn't read the re-amping section three years ago as it wasn't an area of interest at the time. I imagine the manual does go into re-amping via SPDIF as well as DI boxes or other methods.

I have recorded a lot since my purchase but it's been studio recording setting where the XLR outputs are the way to go and it's been to a Neve or SSL desk.

I was checking to see if there were folks who use the same or similar interface.

The manual is always a good place to look, but the Kemper manual doesn't read all that clearly to me. Perhaps it was written in German and translated by a non-english speaker unfamiliar with english tech speak.

I though the community might have more to offer in suggestions than "did you read the manual". It appears you are familiar with my questions and my applications and that the manual covers them better than anything else.

I appreciate that.

• Thanks skoczy.

I'd imagine the Total Control that RME has for the interfaces is similar to the Focusrite software.

Total MIx is more or less a software "wiring" between DAW or computer recording software. I believe that Kemper has routing commands for in's and out's and levels for clean likely matter for re-amping.

I take a look at the manual, the video you suggest, and any other sources.

• Instrument Input and Reamping
    Kemper Profiler Reference Manual 3.2.pdf
    Page 36

I have time for you to find it - do you have time to read it?
    Connect spdiff inand out -> set to slave your interface.
    Set your input in KPA to Reamping, set out SPDIF to master stereo for stereo reamping.

• Yes, read this manual :) I'm just reading it :) I bought my unit in 2012 and got few pages of paper, but this is like 149 pages.

Very informative - pages 49-52 tell you about reamping more.

• I appreciate any responses.

None are meant to irritate anyone.

I included the info on the interface and DAW for a reason.

That being, different interfaces and DAW software can have their own quirks. Not all interfaces use the same nomenclatures as others, There can be differences.

the KPA manuals are rife with generalities.

[Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/UCX.jpg]

I include a screen capture of my RME UCX setup screen and think this is the proper deal, but I though it was worthwhile to ask and see.

I really didn't think I was asking an easily found answer but was asking about gear specific combo and hoped there might be tribal knowledge to look out for.

I was thinking that asking was a better method than trial and error.

One might note the Cluck source selection but a notation that it's currently internal.

The ADAT cable physical hookups have not been made yet between KPA and the UCX interface.

The output format can be either SPDIF or ADAT

SPDIF choices are Consumer or Professional.

Clock source can be either:
    SPDIF coax
    Optical in
    Word
    Internal

Thanks again.

• "The ADAT cable physical hookups have not been made yet between KPA and the UCX interface."

Just connect SPDIF cables and you ready to go - you have good setup on the screen cap.
    If RME will detect the signal it will switch to Current : external and SPDIF coax. locked status.

• Thanks for the tip.

I have some a bit more robust but thanks for the kind and generous assistance.

You mean robust cables? I think when it comes to digital signal flow, cables are not that important when using analog connections.

Do you have any progress with reamping?

• "The ADAT cable physical hookups have not been made yet between KPA and the UCX interface."

Just connect SPDIF cables and you ready to go - you have good setup on the screen cap.
    If RME will detect the signal it will switch to Current : external and SPDIF coax. locked status.

I appreciate the response. I like RME stuff as a reasonably priced interface on USB with Win 64. Their drivers are well suited to their circuits designs.

Most re-amping situations I have dealt with over the years were DI and hardwire involved. Some work has been discussed that makes an in the box approach with the Kemper worth trying. It's a far different music business today than it was when it was much more lucrative to use studios for all stages of production.

It's a hectic weekend as I had to help a friend with a recording project stalled in a studio and he wanted my ears to speed the process. Not helping a long time artist and friend is not something I like to refuse.

Make sure I had my ducks in a row for setting up the KPA for reamping at my home setup is important but shoved to the side. Thus my wanting to make sure it would get bogged down... Add a hard bout with bronchitis and doctors, big pills and lots going on and people needing things yesterday... I think you might get a feel for asking if there was something the manuals don't have right.

I appreciate your assistance.

• You mean robust cables? I think when it comes to digital signal flow, cables are not that important when using analog connections.

Do you have any progress with reamping?

Not yet as other pressing issues have come up that I need to tend to first. Thanks for asking though.

I should be able to get into it on Monday as a studio session thing should be done this evening, with any luck.

I'll update one way or the other.

• Sorry - I not native speaker - I just feel that you can have more experience when you try by your self different problems with setup :)
    Don't be afraid with experimenting :)
    Off course there is always a lot of guys to help you.
    In my opinion it is matter to understand '''what and why" is working in that way than just simply to say " conect this , setup this" - its a process of learning things.
    I hope you don't have bad feelings about my posts - just trying to convince you to get more self-experience knowledge:)

Cheers.

• I don't disagree.

I think you would find I don't ask that many questions regarding the Kemper.

I've been a professional musician since 1966-1967. Lots of experiences and learning/teaching opportunities along the way.

I started doing audio work i about 1973 as a way to keep money rolling in during times between band projects. Was quite fortunate and over the years have done different mixing gigs along the way in some very wide varieties of national and international acts. It's been a good area of knowledge that works into writing, touring, recording.

I have been fortunate enough to find myself in some good situations. If one truly does music as a serious endeavor for making money and doing things as well and valid in an artistic way there are always high and low points as time goes along.

I appreciate opportunities to learn as well as teach.

I have also learned to do more research than in just one place or source. I think you assume I hadn't already done research and my post here was but one way of finding the best answer and to validate or refute taking just a manual read or internet question as the only part of researching something that needs getting done efficiently.

I would caution that you shouldn't assume someone is lazy when they might actually be better described as being thorough.

I have found the best methods for me involve avoiding assumptions. You might agree researching multiple sources isn't actually lazy or not doing one's homework.

It can be difficult to rely on a non native language to be that certain in translation regarding meaning and some subtle nuance. I did some work with a Russian ballet company years ago and I relied on more than just one interpreter.

Again, I appreciate the responses.

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• Just put your update here if you have any :)

• Good timing!

I have the exact same RME interface and have a tonne of recording to do this week at home. Never used SPDIF (or done any kind of reamping for that matter :/ ), but if i can get it sorted it will help a bunch in getting the layered guitar sounds I'm after. I'll give this a go tonight and report back.