Let's make a rose nobody knows

• Hey folks, my Kemper isn't active in this video but I wanted to share it nonetheless.

My 8-year old daughter started taking piano lessons last month. Today, as she was practicing, I was teasing her by running the electric piano through Ableton Live, changing the midi instrument and adding various effects. She immediately started interacting with the delay etc., so I quickly set up a second track and joined in to improvise together. I remembered to hit "Record" as well. :) It turned into a dreamy, hypnotic piece of repetitive minimalism.

I know it isn't much musically but we really had a moment together. I'm looking forward to a lifetime of music with her.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Lovely. I just stopped ANTHRAX to listen to this. Good, your daughter feels the groove, she stays in line with you playing - or you're making the groove so she is in line :) She hears you playing and she's trying to follow :) I have 4.5 yrs boy which I want also to infect with music for lifetime.

Do you allow to use your method in my case? :)

• Thanks, and yeah, go for it! :D

While we were playing I really had the feeling she was listening -- to me, to the rhythm of the delay, holding back now and then and placing her notes very deliberately. And she was having fun, too.

(Just noticed I may have synchronized the video incorrectly with the audio export from Ableton Live. Oh well -- that's the thing with repetitive minimalism -- you can lose your way in it. :) )

(Oh and that title is a quote from the novel Orfeo by Richard Powers. It's what the protagonist, a composer, says to his daughter when they make music together.)

• Just simple observation, your daughter was practicing over C major scale withing first 5 notes (for most part) - now show her F major scale and the same patterns she was doing on C, change your magic sounds accordingly :)