Merged profile sounds different to studio-profile

• Hi,

I profiled my Amp with firmware 2.something - and I´m happy with the sound.
    Now i though to try out this merging-thing and i want to make a merged-profile out of my studio-profile.

So with firmware 3.something I profiled my Amp with same settings, same volume, same Cab like the 2.something-Studio-profile mentioned above, but with a DI-Box between Amp and Cab to get a DI-Profile of it. That worked fine (I know about levels after a power amp and di-boxes... i know what i´m doing) - so: i got a DI-Profile, sounding harsh as expected, the profiler did not add any cabinet (cabinet light off) - no problems so far.

Now i choose that di-profile, go to cabinet-editing, there i load my studio-profile (which loads the cabinet-part of it) and press "Merge..". I get a nice sound, sounds like an amp (not like a DI-Signal), but it sounds very different to the original studio-profile - sounds much brighter.

Should´t it sound at least almost like my studio-profile?

Martin

• I found the results to be not as accurate with merged profile, but in the interests of maximizing your chances for you getting the result you want then you also need to make a new studio profile at the same time and use the cab from that. And you should compare with that setup.

Load boxes rarely have a totally neutral output, some even have their own "cab sim" (i.e. crappy eq) on the line out. This may throw things out if you don't use a studio profile taken at the same tme with the same setup and load box in use with its effect on the amps tone in play.

• Yes, I know.. i played my tube-amp over years in many live-settings. And many times it sounded different even when no settings were changed, but the differences aren´t that much as the difference between my studio-profile and the merged one.

I tried to create one more merged profile with a newer studio-profile (i think it was post firmware 3.0) and a direct profile. The result were way better.. here you could say, they sound similar... so maybe my old studio-profile doesn´t work that well. The problem is, that i can´t remember which mics with wich levels, wich positions i used for this profile i like so much - i tried many variations, but i didn´t manage to get exactly that sound again.. everything i manage to get is close, but not that good.

i use a Millennium DI-E

Martin

• Today I profiled my Amp again (direct) and tried to merge this di-profile with the old studio-profile and here we go: They sound almost the same! I don´t know what was wrong with that first di-profile... i must have messed up something, because it was not just a variation in sound, which a tube amp has, when it´s got a bad day :-)..

so thanks for your help..

Martin

• My guess is that for absolute best result You should make Your direct and studio profile at the same session, with the same settings.
    Think of it this way, the cab You are trying to merge with Your direct profile have a sound that were dictated by how the amp were set at that time and how hard it was pushed.
    So I guess on the second profiling session, the amp were set closer to how it was when the original session were done.