Setting up Performances using only Rig Manager

• This is probably going to sound like a silly question but I am going to ask it anyway.

I would like to go about setting up some new Performances for an audition I have next week. The first time I set up a bunch of Performances I used the Browse knob on the KPA to run through the rigs stored on the KPA. This time I would like to go about things a little differently.

I have gotten very accustomed to auditioning rigs using only Rig Manager. In fact, I currently have no rigs stored on my KPA as I simply do not need them on there. The only time I really need to touch the KPA itself is for editing the rig, like adding effects or swapping cabinets. So when setting up these new Performances I'd like to use strictly Rig Manager for auditioning and selecting rigs for each slot. How I would like to do this is as follows:

• Create new Performance
    • Select first open slot
    • Locate rig in RM and audition, repeat as needed
    • When the desired rig is found, load into slot
    • Move on to the next slot
    • Save when done

As part of this process I would also like to LOCK the stomps and effects settings as I always use the same for every rig.

Does this make sense? Can this be done in this manner?

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• @mightypudge

Here is how I do it. I believe this is close to what you want.

1. Set Kemper to new performance. I'll assume you start with slot 1. If not select the slot you want to load.
    2. Open RM and open 2nd RM window. One to display performance on my Kemper and one to view all my rigs.
    3. Using the window with all the rigs (folders), select the rig you want to audition using enter key.
    4. Load effects and stomps you want. If you are using Kemper Remote, set your buttons how you want them. Then lock stomps and effects.
    5. Now you can select different rigs from RM to audition. Once you have what you want for a rig along with any parameter adjustment to the rig, save the Performance. This will prevent you from losing your work on this slot and the performance change should be visible in the RM window with the performance visible.
    6. Select the next slot on the Kemper and enable the slot.
    7. You can then audition rigs in this slot. Adjust as you need and then save the Performance before moving on.

If you use the same (or nearly the same) stomps and effects this saves a lot of time. You'll notice that the buttons on the remote will be set up as you did slot one without having to do it again for every slot.

Note: I have tried working between the two windows (drag and drop & also copy/paste) but don't get the same results. The rig names get confused and I haven't figured a clean way to get them synced easily.

Hope this helps.

• Sounds like a very sensible and doable approach.
    When you have all your rigs loaded you only need to configure stomps and FX on one of them, then lock them and they will be present in all the other rigs.

• The way I do it is simply by copying/pasting the rig I like into any performance. All witin rigManager. Double clicking the performance sends it to the kemper.

There's a small bug (I think), where the name of the rig is not synced with the kemper. I usually force sync by double-clicking on a performance slot (disable/enable) then double clicking on another performance, and re-double-clicking on the initial performance where I pasted the copied rig. A bit painful and obscure, but it works...

Again, I don't have any rigs stored in my kemper. Only performances. All the rigs are on my computer, organised in rig Manager.

• @lk_bill - please provide more detail as I'd like to make this work. I can create a performance, copy/paste rigs to a slot and enable the slot from the RM. But I have to select the slot using the Kemper as I can't get RM to select the slot on the Kemper. This doesn't allow one to preview (in the proper slot) without changing the slot directly on the Kemper. I also haven't figured out the proper sequence of keystrokes you referenced above to get the slot names correct. I also haven't figured out how to have the Kemper and RM synced properly (when moving around performances) unless I hit save directly on the Kemper. Any additional info on how you make this work for you would be appreciated by those of us that would like to make better use of RM for this task. Thanks.

• Here we go for the detailed instructions:

- Switch On the Kemper (chicken knob on "Perform")
    - in RigManager, at the bottom you should see All Performances -> My Profiler. Create a new empty performance (it will be called New Performance). Rename it from the inspector view.
    - Double clic on the performance to sync it with your Kemper. It should have a default rig loaded by default (called "Crunch)".
    - Copy any rig from your local library or Rig Exchange (under "All Rigs").
    - Go back to your empty performance, right clic on the first rig slot (should be crunch by default) and Paste the rig.
    - To preview the rig, either double clic on it or press enter on your keyboard.

-Create a second rig in slot #2 of the performance (copy/paste)
    - Clic on the On/Off icon next to the rig name (to disable it).
    - Clic a second time on the On/Off icon next to the rig name (to enable it). this will make the 2d rig appear on your kemper screen. The name will be wrong though (it will default to "crunch")
    - Double clic on a different existing performance.
    - Double clic on the performance you had newly created. That should fix any rig name issue.

that's all. Your performance now has 2 rigs, with correct naming. Nothing more to do.

Hope this will help... :)

• OK fellas, I gave this a shot yesterday and here are my results, in bullet form for easier reading.

• I was able to create performances, populate slots with rigs, rename performance, and rename slots using only Rig Manager. It's fairly straightforward actually.
    • Once I found a rig with the effects I like, I was able to lock the stomps section. Every time I loaded a new rig into a slot those exact effects got loaded with it. Same goes for the effects section. It even remembers your remote assignments.

In other words, success!!!

The only problem I had was a technical issue with Rig Manager. My iMac went to sleep with Rig Manager running. After waking it up Rig Manager would crash each time I saved a performance. I had to restart the iMac to clear the issue.

• This is exactly how I did it, only after reading your beautifully worded post. Doh!! :)

I liked working in two windows, that made the process so much smoother.

• @lk_bill - I tried as you have written and can't get it to work for me. When I load only one rig to the slot, the names seem to be ok. Once I audition more rigs, the slot name doesn't update even when I try the sequence you mention. Also, the Kemper doesn't switch to the next slot that I double click on it. So the rigs I audition for the 2nd slot overwrite slot 1 on the Kemper, but show up on slot 2 in RM. Thanks for your effort, but I think working only in RM is just too buggy (or maybe I still don't understand) for me. I'll continue to use both the Kemper (changing performances and slots & saving) and RM (auditioning) for creating performances as this seems to be the easiest for me. Plus I'm not guessing whether rig names are correct or whether there is a disconnect between what I see in RM and on my Kemper. Let's hope this gets smoother and less confusing in future releases. Thanks for your time explaining your method.

• @lk_bill - I tried as you have written and can't get it to work for me. When I load only one rig to the slot, the names seem to be ok. Once I audition more rigs, the slot name doesn't update even when I try the sequence you mention. Also, the Kemper doesn't switch to the next slot that I double click on it. So the rigs I audition for the 2nd slot overwrite slot 1 on the Kemper, but show up on slot 2 in RM. Thanks for your effort, but I think working only in RM is just too buggy (or maybe I still don't understand) for me. I'll continue to use both the Kemper (changing performances and slots & saving) and RM (auditioning) for creating performances as this seems to be the easiest for me. Plus I'm not guessing whether rig names are correct or whether there is a disconnect between what I see in RM and on my Kemper. Let's hope this gets smoother and less confusing in future releases. Thanks for your time explaining your method.

Yes, this sounds familiar. I found that I had to switch slots using the navigation buttons on the Kemper.

• Yep. Lots of issues here as well.

anyway, keep in mind you can populate performances from the Pool as well, by just double-clocking on them while the wanted slot is in focus :)