profiles thru the power head do not sound right

• I got the Kemper power head last week and I was totally stoked .......................until I started downloading the profiles I wanted .
    The profiles sound nothing like what's on YouTube when you run through a cabinet but they do sound like they are supposed to in the headphones , Through a cab they are muffled and muddy matter of fact if my rig sounded like that I would never play it and I have tried several cabs with the same results .
    I have been told that the power head is routing the direct out signal instead of the monitor out signal to the power amp and this is what is causing the "muffled" tone supposedly
    The tone in the headphones is awesome .
    Anyone else having this issue ?

• I bought a powerhead recently so perhaps i can be of help.

As I have been discovering, the cabinet is colouring the tone. In fact about 90% of the tone is down to the cab. Plugging into a p.a or frfr speaker will give you the results you hear on youtube, this is why the headphones sound better to your ears. I recommend using d.i or direct profiles as these are profiles straight from the amp and a cab was not used in the process. This will give you a better, more workable tone for the cab. I use alot of high gain tones so it has taken a bit of time, but i am very happy with the tone i have now. Am not sure about the routing to the cabinet out on the Kemper, am sure someone else can explain this. But definetly look into direct profiles and make sure the cab sims on the kemper are off.

• Just upgraded to a powerhead also. You are going to lose a LOT of the flavor of different amps if you use a powerhead and a guitar cab. You lose the sound of the speaker that was profiled, and the sound of the mics and any preamps or EQ also. Live I run a guitar cab onstage now powered with the head - but I also run a line out to the PA. The line out has the sound of the speakers and mics/etc that were profiled. Cool thing is, your kemper will sound more like an amp in the room because it is now. You just had to give up some flexibility.

Look at it this way - if you bought a Fender twin and plugged it into your cab and didn't use the speakers in the Twin, it would sound different than just running the speakers in the Fender right? You might prefer it or not, but it's going to sound different. This is essentially what you're doing and why the profiles aren't sounding very good to you. Be sure you're turning off the cab emulation, as this can really make stuff sound wooly/bad.

Pete

• Thats the reason i choosed a non powered verson. If i wanted a guitarcab on stage i would use a tubeamp instead. If you want the sounds like the rigs on youtube, you need a flat response speakers who dont colour the sound.. not as cool on your bedroom, but mutch better in gig situation. The sound of my powered monitor (DXR8) Is almost identical to the sound in our PA, or other good quality PA`s I play on.. The result is that your lovely rigs on your bedroom will sound just as good when you play live! :) That was one of the main reasons i bought the Kemper!! Say if you have a cab with v30`s the soundfrequenses is a bit limited to the speakers! I play a lot of difference genere and music, so i need to cover a lot of the classic amps/cab

• Make sure Monitor Cabinet OFF is activated.

Try use DA Profiles, Direct Amp profiled without a mic or cabinet..
    Then use the Monitor Output EQ to tweak the tone through your Cabinet.

• I got the Kemper power head last week and I was totally stoked .......................until I started downloading the profiles I wanted .
    The profiles sound nothing like what's on YouTube when you run through a cabinet but they do sound like they are supposed to in the headphones , Through a cab they are muffled and muddy matter of fact if my rig sounded like that I would never play it and I have tried several cabs with the same results .
    I have been told that the power head is routing the direct out signal instead of the monitor out signal to the power amp and this is what is causing the "muffled" tone supposedly
    The tone in the headphones is awesome .
    Anyone else having this issue ?

You have been told wrong. The signal that is present at the speaker output is the same as at the monitor output and not the direct output. Simply engage the monitor cab off function in the output menu and you will be fine.

• "Simply engage the monitor cab off function in the output menu and you will be fine. "

First , thank you all for your responses , can someone walk me through the monitor cab off function? I have turned the cab off on the "stack" section of the Kemper and that did not help , but I think maybe talking about something else ??