Helix Side By Side with Kemper

• Many thanks for the greetings! :)

I live in Spain (just updated my profile, sorry)

I have purchased the Kemper a month ago and started playing and reading this forum at the same time like crazy :D Great and refreshing community.
    Too much to read even so!

• For me it´s so obvious that the Kemper sounds so complex, organic and reactive to pick attack

Hello Ralphez and welcome to the group. I like your statement.

Before I decided I had read a lot of tests and did Investigations on the Internet. I wanted to try the KPA as so many people praised the sounds and the response of the amp to the guitar and playing style.

I could test the Helix and I was impressed. It's a good device and almost I became weak as the integration of my Variax guitar is so easy.
    But my main guitars should be Strat, Tele and Ibanex-Artist. (Variax I could use in a coverband but not in the rockband I also play now.)

With the send return guarantee there was no risk.

The Kemper will stay with me. The helix was sent back .
    The basic sounds are incredible and normally I do not use so much effects.
    The Integrations of an acoustic guitar seemed to me easier with the Kemper. That means one amplifier less to carry :) .
    (So I can sell now my Variax)

My belief is that Kemper provides a myriad of excellent basic sounds that react very sensitively to type of guitar and playing style.
    On the other hand one can also do some things wrong. Actually I didn't hear really Scrap. (untill now.)

In my mind the Sound effects with Helix are better.
    But what good is the best sound effect, when the basic sound is not as good and the feedback of the amp is not so sensible..

For me to buy a Helix is not wasted money, but I thought the price should not be primary argument for me.
    (In Austria we have a saying - Is the cow dead than it's calf can also be dead :D )

Still in love with primadonna KPA (she robbed me of sleep) - Harry

• For a semi-more direct comparison,
    In the USA:
    The Helix Rack + Controller is $1998 advertised price.
    The KPA Rack + Remote is $2579 advertised price.

Over on the TGP, Line 6 announced that the Rack + Controller have dropped in price. Now is $1399 for the Rack and $399 for the Controller. So now $1798 versus $2579.

Cheers,

jayson

• In Europe (Thomann):

Line6 Helix rack 1490€ + Controller 499€ = 1989€
    Kemper Rack + Controller = 2090€

Difference is 101€, so at least in Europe the prices are comparable.

• This has been debated before, but a Kemper floor unit at this time would be a winner. A simpler unit maybe without profiling and limited editing capabilities?

One thing that holds on your guitar bag (like Amplifire pedalboard)...

just dreaming a bit :whistling:

• We´re all individuals with individual tastes ... so, if someone prefers the Helix or the Axe-FX over the KPA, that´s fine with me.

I for one agree with Michael Britt, the Helix does sound 2D compared to the KPA. The price difference here in Europe does not make up for the loss of sound quality (for me) and although price should not be the issue in chosing musical equipment, many people do consider price only. It has always been like that.

Sure the KPA still lacks of many useful features but I should imagine that the team is working on it.
    Besides, you must remember that Line6 is owned by Yamaha, a global company with a vast amount of financial background that can put a lot more money into R&D as Kemper can and having access to cheaper supply sources even if it is for small volume products.
    Plus, they could decide to push a product into the market with only making very little profit on it.
    Last but not least, where and how are Line6 products produced? Are these aspects comparable and therefore competitive to Kemper?
    Think about it. You have to see the greater whole that lies beyond obvious sound quality ... you have to try to see the greater whole in everything (in life) ... basically.

Edited once, last by REVILO ().

• Other parts of the greater whole:

Several years of free updates and packs / No better and more powerfull device at the next corner which make yours obsolete (I bought my KPA in 2012 and it worths now more than I paid). / I could not live without the FX spillover of the Kemper which is one of the best of the industrie. / And, seriously, THE AMP TONES! Isn't it the most important part??? ;)

• Part of the greater whole > 12 month warranty vs. 36 month warranty, Owner/Technicians/Programmers from the company active on their company forum :thumbup:

True !
    How long is the warranty for an Axe-FX, does anyone know ?
    I have tried to find but can´t find any info on this. Probably 1 year also ... as with the Helix.

• Standard warranty for Axe-FX is 1-year.
    You can purchase an extended warranty.

I've owned/used KPA, Axe-FX II XL+, and Helix.
    There are numerous things to like about each.
    Each has strengths/weaknesses...

You can get good sounds from all three.
    No different than any other piece of gear.
    Some guys love a Fender Strat... while others prefer a Les Paul
    Both are excellent guitars.

• Fai

Fair people are always welcome in the Web Far West :)

• I brought the Helix with me home about a month ago. I was looking for a replacement for my Axe FX, because I was tired of the whole rack thing and wanted a floorboard. The clean tones were really good, but once I applied any kind of overdrive it sounded horrible... It sounded almost as horrible as the Pod HD500. Luckily, even though the shop does not have any specific return policy I was able to return it for a Kemper rack, and I could not be happier! When the sound is so good it is worth the hazzle with the rack stuff. However, I will mention that I am pretty sure that there was something wrong with my Helix. For three times the price of a Pod HD it should not sound that bad... Well, we will never know that :p