Home-recorded song featuring heavy guitars and melodic vocals

• I received a lot of great tips and pointers here a while ago on a work-in-progress version of this track. Since our deadline was looming and I still have a lot to learn about mixing, I wasn't able to implement all of them in the final version, but I think I've managed to solve a couple of problems and will be able to avoid them in our next recording. Thanks again everyone!

Anyway, since the sampler album it will appear on is now public (it will be distributed for free on Graspop Metal Meeting), I can finally share the finished track:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hey dude,I dig this track,i do not hear anything that needs "fixing".The mix of clean and dirty vocals is a good contrast,Melancholy melodies you got going on.the pitch effect is awesome also.Nice harmony lines there.

• Sounds great!

Only thing I'd say, is that I'm not too fond of how the room sounds on the vocals, it's really cold and "roomy" sounding. Concrete walls?

Kick drum doesn't seem to have much punch in the lows, but it could be just soundcloud compression killing it.

If you're looking to get it mastered by a professional, I highly recommend Dan from unisound.se. Fast, affordable, professional service.

• Thanks guys! I'll try to give the bottom end a gentle nudge -- it's a comment I've heard from others as well.

For this one track we want to do everything ourselves, but for future stuff, home recording/mixing + professional mastering could actually be a very good approach to balance expences and final quality.

@nakedzen Wow, "Dan" is the Dan Swanö =O -- I'm sure he's good!! Great to know he can be hired for mastering. I'm not sure about the vocal room... It's the only thing that wasn't recorded at my place: our singer did it at home and sent me the .wavs.

• Quote from Robrecht

@nakedzen[/url] Wow, "Dan" is the Dan Swanö =O -- I'm sure he's good!! Great to know he can be hired for mastering. I'm not sure about the vocal room... It's the only thing that wasn't recorded at my place: our singer did it at home and sent me the .wavs.

Yup, he's a joy to work with. :) Definitely highly recommended, if you like the overall sound he goes for.

• Hey, sorry to be that guy!.. but.

Mix is OK. - but, there is no glue between drums (kick+bottom end/bass) - the snare gets lost. it needs either an additional snare or beefing up a bit (perhaps longer attack/more sustain) as it does not sit well, seems like the drums are part of a different group!. - the guitars need more separation (they are fighting) -especially in the 300hz area. - vocals are much to mid range, there is no air to them, and puts a blanket over the nice riffing your doing underneath.

EQ is your friend here. - otherwise nice song (not my style) but I can appreciate it none the less.

• Hey Andy, thanks for your comments -- being "that guy" who shows the way to take it to the next level is totally a good thing. :)

I don't know if I'll be able to implement all those things in time for this song, but at least they'll give us a headstart for the next one. :) I'll start with trying to EQ some more "holes" into the vocals because I really hear what you're saying there.