Yamaha DXR10 vs. DXR12 – comparison incl. audio samples

• Very nice comparison tylerhb, thanks for sharing!

• Nice thread to read. I went for the 12, because I thought I could make a wider use of it: though the main use will be my monitor/cab for my toaster, I reckon it might be useful to me in other scenarios such as a lil p.a. for an acoustic rig with mic+guitar or something like that.

First impression after trying them at the rehearsal room: :| meh, a bit too boomy, need to tweak quite a bit I think. I wonder if I should've gone for the 10... :pinch:

• Necro-ing this thread because I have the opportunity to pick up either a pair of DXR12s or a pair of DXR15s for roughly the same price (the DXR12 guy wants more).

I was wondering based on this thread whether it would make sense to pick up one DXR 12 and one DXR15? Or should I go for two DXR12s, or two DXR15s?

I will be using my pair as a PA though, not just for a guitar.

That will include running synths through it as well as my electronic drumkit, besides vocals and a bass guitar.

I was thinking just in terms of the requirements for the multiple instruments, and particularly the low end requirements of the e-kit and synth, I would be better off with the DXR15s.

Can anyone advise me otherwise?

Believe me, I have read all the other DXR threads on the forum. I know that @whippinpost91850 says his DXR10s didn't work for synth and @Zappledan says he didn't like the bass from his DXR10 either. That to me suggests that I would need a bigger speaker with more low end.

@OhG uses a DXR15 and says it works for him, but someone else suggested in this thread that a 15 inch speaker might be a bit sluggish.

@Ingolf recently sold his CLRs and went with just his DXRs, so I am on the right track.

But what's it to be, the 12s, the 15s, or a mixed pair?

Weight is not a consideration in my case, I want the best sound.

• If you want the best sound and weight isn't a problem, I'd consider two DXR10s or 12s (or even the 15s) AND something like this; Yamaha's DXS18 sounds good but bass definition on the Dynacord is better IMO (and the price too!). It's less powerful, though.

If you want a proper full PA to play synths, bass and all... I'd really consider this!

Thanks for the input, but I'd rather not get involved with subs on top of speakers. Weight really isn't a consideration, but I'd rather not have too many bits of gear for a gig, since I would need to cart this stuff around myself.

In that respect, I read that the DXR15s don't really need a sub, so perhaps that's the way I should go. I'm more concerned about the synths and the electronic drums, based on some users being underwhelmed by the DXR10. Perhaps the DXR12 will be enough, but I'm really worried that they might not.

On the flip side, if they are great, I would be upset with the extra weight after all.

• If I may hijack this thread (sorry lads!) what do you think of this speaker:

https://www.thomann.de/de/qsc_k_8.2.htm

I'm particularily interested since it says it has a sound-dispersion of 105 degrees - which is much more than other systems - so basically, you'd get the same sound at a much bigger spread?
    That sounds good to me in theory...

But: would a 8" speaker with the KPA be enough to cut through with a second guitarist running a 50w Marshall tube amp with a big 4x12 box?

I have my doubts somehow?!

• I don't think it will, but it would be great if you could test it out. My gut feeling is that you'll be drowned out. But then again, it's only a 50W Marshall, so I have no real insight on this.

• @Zappledan says he didn't like the bass from his DXR10 either. That to me suggests that I would need a bigger speaker with more low end.

We currently use a combination of the DXR10 and a Turbosound IP1000 for our duo, which is excellent for our two guitars. I have to say that the Turbosound is an outstanding value, and I suspect that the a pair of IP2000's would be a decent setup.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• This is a true no-brainer. I'd go with the 15s even if it were just for the guitar. But the fact that you want to put other instruments through it too, you HAVE to go with the 15s. I've owned the 15s and have run a full mix through them and the speakers don't flab out at all. The DXR10 is a wimp of a speaker. I have one of those too. It SOUNDS good, but it's more for bedroom playing or lower levels. The DXR12 is in between the two. So if it's the same price wise, always get the 15.

• And as far as the 15 being sluggish, I didn't find that to be the case at all. And even if it was, it has filters on the back that allow you to reduce the low end, which is what would be causing that type of feel.

• Thanks for the input, but I'd rather not get involved with subs on top of speakers. Weight really isn't a consideration, but I'd rather not have too many bits of gear for a gig, since I would need to cart this stuff around myself.

In that respect, I read that the DXR15s don't really need a sub, so perhaps that's the way I should go. I'm more concerned about the synths and the electronic drums, based on some users being underwhelmed by the DXR10. Perhaps the DXR12 will be enough, but I'm really worried that they might not.

On the flip side, if they are great, I would be upset with the extra weight after all.

Then go for the 15s. I reckon you will like them as a "whole band PA" more than a reference monitor for just the KPA. I returned the dxr12 I bought because it sounded kinda boxy/boomy to me, even with the lowcut filter on. I just prefer to have a regular cab for my monitoring. It just feels better to me!

So my 2cents would be: try them all! If you have the possibility, test the options you have before buying them, I'm sure that would help you a lot to decide.

Cheers.