Yamaha DXR10 vs. DXR12 – comparison incl. audio samples

• Tested my new DXR10 today during rehearsal and wow... why didn't I do this long before? ^^:thumbup:

I use it as a wedge with the D-contour in mid position (off). Its just like the cab was in front of me.
    The attack and transient response is just amazing. And the low end is suprisingly well expressed
    and tight. In my opinion this speaker (and others like it of course) brings out the true value of the KPA.

The old active monitor I used to use just don't cut it. I use it for vocal monitoring only now.

• Tested my new DXR10 today during rehearsal and wow... why didn't I do this long before? ^^:thumbup:

I use it as a wedge with the D-contour in mid position (off). Its just like the cab was in front of me.
    The attack and transient response is just amazing. And the low end is suprisingly well expressed
    and tight. In my opinion this speaker (and others like it of course) brings out the true value of the KPA.

The old active monitor I used to use just don't cut it. I use it for vocal monitoring only now.

How was your output eq set? Mine sounded boxy and awful ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• The monitor output EQ is set at
    Bass +0.9 / Middle +1.1 / Treble +0.3 / Presence +1.1

I mostly play a few Marshall profiles by ACY. Maybe these are more
    compatible with my setup and this particular monitor.

I think it's an EQ problem. My Kemper is at church, so I plugged in my Amplifire through the DXR10, and the sound was much better. Lots of bottom and top end. I'm thinking that my profiles are screwed up by adjusting them for my JBL monitors. More work yet to do with this.

Edit: So it appears that running through the XLR input on the DXR isn't working well for me. When I use the 1/4" jack (Line) the unit comes alive. When using the XLR input I had the selector switch on Line (not Mic), but it sounded lousy. I tried moving the switch to Mic and it added a ton of gain (as expected), but I still don't think the tone was as good. Is anyone else using the XLR input? In any case, I'm sticking to the 1/4" - the sound was WAY better overall. Powerful little monitor! :D

Edited 2 times, last by Zappledan ().

• So it appears that running through the XLR input on the DXR isn't working well for me. When I use the 1/4" jack (Line) the unit comes alive. When using the XLR input I had the selector switch on Line (not Mic), but it sounded lousy. I tried moving the switch to Mic and it added a ton of gain (as expected), but I still don't think the tone was as good. Is anyone else using the XLR input? In any case, I'm sticking to the 1/4" - the sound was WAY better overall. Powerful little monitor!

This edit didn't trip the thread change indicator, and I was looking for some feedback ...

• I use the 1/4" monitor out, into DXR10 input channel 2.

If you have Monitor EQ set up for your JBL, save an output preset, and then you can flatten the output EQ.

Is there a reason Paul that you use Monitor OUT not Main OUT for active FRFR speaker?

• I use the 1/4" monitor out, into DXR10 input channel 2.

If you have Monitor EQ set up for your JBL, save an output preset, and then you can flatten the output EQ.

My EQ is fine - the problem was fixed simply by using the 1/4" input ...

• I was already thinking about possibly getting another DXR10 or trying a DXR12 to run with what I currently have, and this is really pushing me over the edge to get a 12 now, especially since I play a lot of heavy stuff. OP, you bastard.

Seriously though, thanks for the write up. It's a good read.

• I was already thinking about possibly getting another DXR10 or trying a DXR12 to run with what I currently have, and this is really pushing me over the edge to get a 12 now, especially since I play a lot of heavy stuff. OP, you bastard.

In that case, why not just go for a 15? 8)

Now that's a good read :D . As @Zappaledan stated the 15 or you could just wait for the DXRII next year with the 17 ;)

• In that case, why not just go for a 15? 8)

Never tried the DXR15, but i tried my old JBL EON 15s, which were too bass heavy and did not "feel" very good. Guess it will be the same story with the DXRs, as they all seem to use the same electronics. In general 15" woofers react way slower than 12" woofers. If you are looking for a tight and percussive sound with direct feeling and attack to it, 15" speakers are not the best choice.

• Never tried the DXR15, but i tried my old JBL EON 15s, which were too bass heavy and did not "feel" very good. Guess it will be the same story with the DXRs, as they all seem to use the same electronics. In general 15" woofers react way slower than 12" woofers. If you are looking for a tight and percussive sound with direct feeling and attack to it, 15" speakers are not the best choice.

I think the same logic might apply to using the 10 instead of the 12, based on the previous reviews - which is kind of what I was saying here - just because it's a larger speaker doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a fatter bottom end ...

• Thanks for the fantastic review tylerhb, I read it a while back and it inspired me to pick up both the DXR10 and DXR12. The combo of the two is just fantastic however I seem to be running them slightly different to many here. I play lead guitar in a 2 guitar heavy rock covers band and I was having some problems with excessive bass and the tones getting lost in the mix.I settled on the following settings at rehearsal last week and was really happy with the results

Monitor mode engaged
    HPF Off
    Output EQ on KPA Bass -3, Mids +1, Treble and Presence at 0.

I was playing mostly MBritt profiles which always seems to have a load of bass with my Les Paul and it a 2 guitar band these settings really opened things up and everything sounded amazing! Many other profiles do not require such EQing and just require tweaking to taste but the MBritt profiles have a great feel and midrange that makes them a dream to play.

Anyway, since rehearsal I've been testing the speakers to try and work out what is missing in the mid-range and I found a video of the CLR vs the DXR12 which were miced in the room. I did a quick EQ match of the clips from the two speakers (I know not in any way scientific or accurate) and there was a clear drop in the DXR12's midrange at around 2-3k. I added a PEQ block after the cab and set the midpoint to 2.5k, boosted by 4db with a Q of 1.45. Although I noticed a difference, it wasn't until I played with it on for a while and then turned it off that I realised what I was missing, I turned it back on it is sounded great again! I've also now removed the global EQ settings and everything's running flat again. I've not had chance to try with the band but I'm really looking forward to doing so! If you own these speakers then it's worth giving this quick tweak a go.

• [quote='CaptainSqueaky','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267509#post267509'][quote='Zappledan','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267128#post267128'][quote='CaptainSqueaky','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267102#post267102']Tested']http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267513#post267513'][quote='CaptainSqueaky','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267509#post267509'][quote='Zappledan','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267128#post267128'][quote='CaptainSqueaky','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25706-Yamaha-DXR10-vs-DXR12-–-comparison-incl-audio-samples/?postID=267102#post267102'][/url]

Edit: So it appears that running through the XLR input on the DXR isn't working well for me. When I use the 1/4" jack (Line) the unit comes alive. When using the XLR input I had the selector switch on Line (not Mic), but it sounded lousy. I tried moving the switch to Mic and it added a ton of gain (as expected), but I still don't think the tone was as good. Is anyone else using the XLR input? In any case, I'm sticking to the 1/4" - the sound was WAY better overall. Powerful little monitor! :D

Hmm, tested this ... and through the XLR my DXR-12 it sounded better and more alive than the 1/4" to me.