Vox VTX (Blue Flagship Model)

• Finally got around to getting a profile of my VTX!!
    I know, your probably thinking "great, more profiles of another modeler". However, in the early 2000's, Vox was on to something with this amp, and it had to do with the valve reactor in the power amp section.

In short, I prefer the Marshall tones in this to my own 40 watt JCM 2000.

This amp did have its shortcomings though. Many of the amp models sound much better with some eq in the effects loop. It also had cheap input jack connections, and many reports of bad dry solder joints.

My 60 watt head has been lovingly cared for the past decade, and up on the rig exchange is my first profile of probably my favorite model; "UK 70's". A plexi model.

I originally thought I could at least get some direct amp models since I have no experience micing an amp. But after several tries this past week, using an SM58 with the filter off, I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the exchange.. Vox VTX, author.. guitarj. Just 2. One is direct amp, the other is a studio profile.

Over the next weeks and months, I will focus mainly on overdrive and crunch profiles. Maybe a clean or 2. The high gain models aren't the best and really need eq tweaking (loop).

Profiled with a birch ply 2 12 cab loaded with celestion G12 50's, and an SM 58 with the filter off.

• Finally got around to getting a profile of my VTX!!
    I know, your probably thinking "great, more profiles of another modeler". However, in the early 2000's, Vox was on to something with this amp, and it had to do with the valve reactor in the power amp section.

I couldn't agree more. I still own my original Vox AD120VTH (120 watt "blue" head). Fantastic amp. The EQ in the FX Loop trick really works, and turns an already good amp into a great amp. I never could understand how Vox could mess up this technology with their subsequent generations of their Valvetronix series...which seemed to get progressively worse with each new generation. The original "blue" amps are on an entirely different level, compared to Vox's later models.

Thanks for sharing the profile.

Cheers,
    John

• Thank you!
    Yes, it was very puzzling the direction Vox went with this. I think they missed a window of opportunity with it, and instead of improving the product... thinking with the economy downturn people wouldn't spend. They went with the budget market. Moved production to Vietnam and dropped the flagship product completely.
    I think fractual and Kemper have proven that the high end market was always there for the taking. Let me know what you think of the plexi profile if you have time. I'm open to any constructive criticism you might have.

• Did a bunch more profiling today. Also, I edited the profiles I posted before, so there are 10 posted all together tonight. My spare bedroom is a mess, so I'm done for a while and putting everything away. So happy to have some tones from my VTX in my Kemper. I think they came out great. Better than expected. The profiler makes it a breeze!!