New Gibson LP R8 - Tailpiece issue ?

• Not really an expert on guitars. Bought this 2015 R8 LP. Noticed that tailpiece is not fully screwed into body - didn't notice this in shop. Is this a problem ? See photo's attached. Guitar does vibrate fairly well - more than some other more expensive ones. Did the B string test (while guitar hangs on wall, pluck B and look for vibrations near jack end), and also resting it horizontally on 2 hands like a tray, strumming strings with left hand, while feeling resonance at back of body with right hand - gave quite a lot there, and sustain seemed OK as well. So initially seemed like a good one. However, my R6 has tailpiece fully screwed in to the metal base. Is this a problem - i can still take it back to shop.

thanks

• There is nothing wrong - the guitar is set up differently than your other guitar.

The height of the tailpiece is adjustable. It can be lowered and tightened to the body, or can be almost as high as the bridge.

Lower settings have more string tension. Higher settings have softer string tension. Tight to the body gives the tailpiece more contact with the body, changing the time, and perhaps the amount of sustain. Some people set it as low as it can be without the strings touching the back of the bridge when they angle down to the tailpiece. Other people do not consider that to be an issue. It is a personal preference thing :)

• Take a screwdriver and adjuest the height to your likings. I recommend doing this with no strings or lowered string tension to avoid marks in the screws.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Thanks for your input guys. Also received word from gibson member forum who has 4 LP (custom, 2 USA Stdrd, 1 Epi) that all have this is, some even worse than mine.

Also got impression from photo's that these tailpiece screws are not set in body wood directly, but seems that there is a metal "nut" worked into the body that receives the 2 tailpiece screws. Guess that reinforces the whole part a lot.

• sell that guitar for whatever someone may offer to you ,and buy proper one .
    do not torture your self because of head stock logo .
    Gibson guitars from 2015 are undoubtedly the worsts Gibsons and guitars in generally ever produced.
    Sorry for spitting a truth . <X

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• sell that guitar for whatever someone may offer to you ,and buy proper one .
    do not torture your self because of head stock logo .
    Gibson guitars from 2015 are undoubtedly the worsts Gibsons and guitars in generally ever produced.
    Sorry for spitting a truth . <X

Wow, way to piss all over someone's "almost NGD".

Anyway, if you look toward the top of the thread, it says "R8" right there in big bold letters, right after "Gibson LP". That means it DOESN'T have all the 2015 appointments usually found on models from that year.

• s
    Gibson guitars from 2015 are undoubtedly the worsts Gibsons and guitars in generally ever produced. <X

Nope! I bought a Les Paul Junior 2015 a few days ago and actually I like it so much that I consider buying another one as long as they are available.
    F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C. guitar, really!

• each commodity always find its own customer , good luck ! :thumbup:
    (just guessing , you bought that one with tuner ? )

As I said , no any guitar lineup in history made so many angry , cheated and disappointed customers .
    Personally , I tried about 11 of them , in a hope to find one decent .
    No way , they all were the worst piece of wet plank I had ever tried in my life .

A big part of guitarist and dealers audience , more or less think the same .
    Just google "2015 Gibson the worst guitar ever " or something similar , and you will find out thousands of pages of not so nice reviews and direct complains to the new ceo , who seems to be dead serious in his intention to destroy legendary brand once forever.
    there is one small example :
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.co…rs_think_theyre_crap.html

For those lazy to read links there is few lines :
    "The bottom line for me is this: I'm done buying new Gibson Guitars. In my opinion the company has become very exploitative of their customer base and is experimenting and destroying perfection. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The world is full of great used pre bad decision Gibson.

"Another comment from a music-store worker was packed with the same vibe, saying,
    "We sold Martin, Taylor, Fender, Huss & Dalton (custom acoustics from Stanton, VA) and for a short period, Gibson. The shop stopped carrying Gibson for the exact reason you have written here. The quality was crap and working with them was a nightmare."Even after we stopped carrying Gibson, we would have people bring them in, brand new, to be setup. The tuners on the $1,000+ models were as cheap as the Chinese knockoffs. The necks were incredibly off and difficult to keep straight. The frets needed a level & dress from day 1."

Another customer comment reads: "I have an early '90s SG. I would never buy another Gibson, I'd rather buy a knockoff and modify it to my liking (which I have) than spend $4,000-5,000 on a robot-made Les Paul. They are worth maybe $400 at most.

I think $400 is a little bit too optimistic , :thumbup:

Edited 6 times, last by Rescator ().

• Man your attitude is way off. This thread is about a guy looking for some help/explanation on his tailpiece.

No need to hijack this thread and make it your personal rant about Gibson and what you or John Doe think about their guitars.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• OK, enjoy your new 2015' Gibson and sorry for interrupting your idyllic conversation about beautiful ,high quality guitar .
    Are you happy know ?
    If yes, please continue in peace , I am off from this thread.

• Well, the internet for sure is an interesting thing, hyping things or talking things down.
    I'm well aware that the 2015 series was badmouthed a lot.
    But IMO more for the different approach that Gibson took towards our beloved iconic guitar models, like the wide taper neck, the zero fret nut, and the inclusion of the tronical tuners, than for bad build quality.
    The Gibson management may be greedy trying to sell us the same guitars over and over again in different flavours, but, let's face it, they still can build darn good guitars at Gibson. Gibson USA is still a force, folks!

The fact for Germany seems to be that obviously the biggest stores like Thomann and Musicstore had enough of Gibsons's reseller policy and the conditions Gibson imposed on them.
    As a result it seems that Thomann is selling stock and Music Store just has a huge blowout going of the 2015 line.
    (Please note that these are my observations and I don't know anything about Thomann's or Music Store's future intentions regarding Gibson).
    During the blowout at the Music Store the Gibson Les Paul Junior 2015 is now sold for 549.- Euro, former Street price was 980.- euro.
    Other Les Paul models are also cut drastially in price.
    Personally I always have been interested in buying a Les Paul Junior (Gibson's Telecaster if you will) with one P90 at the bridge, a no nonsense guitar concentrating on a great core sound and not versatility. So I ordered one. 549.- Euro! Imagine this!
    The (great working) Tronical tuners on it cost alone 222.- Euro when bought as a spare, the hardshell case that comes with it is worth another 100.- (or more), so talk about a bargain!
    Of course I was sceptical after reading so much negative opinions about the 2015 line.
    But I have made it my habit for a long time now to make up my own opinion about things.
    In short: I LOVE THIS GUITAR. Its build quality is flawless, the setup (plek!!!) is just perfect as is the playability out of the box, the tuners work great, (makes alternate tunings so easy) and the P90 sounds open and huge. It truly is (and I say this without honeymoon eyes) a really great guitar. It has a timbre like a cello and has sustain for ages. I have ordered a second one now because the blowout is still going.
    Sorry for derailing this thread.
    To the OP: Don't let anybody badmouth your guitar. If it feels great and speaks to you it is a good guitar, (I'm sure my Junior is more than that, it's a great guitar). If you're not experienced enough to evaluate the setup, get it inspected (just for your peace of mind) at your luthier or store). Have fun and play.

• OK, enjoy your new 2015' Gibson and sorry for interrupting your idyllic conversation about beautiful ,high quality guitar .
    Are you happy know ?
    If yes, please continue in peace , I am off from this thread.

Thank Goodness, Please stay away. Anger management is in order, yes?

To the OP, nothing wrong with a Gibson R8, enjoy it and play it. Congrats on your purchase.

• Well, the internet for sure is an interesting thing, hyping things or talking things down.
    I'm well aware that the 2015 series was badmouthed a lot.
    But IMO more for the different approach that Gibson took towards our beloved iconic guitar models, like the wide taper neck, the zero fret nut, and the inclusion of the tronical tuners.
    The Gibson management may be greedy trying to sell us the same guitars over and over again in different flavours, but, let's face it, they still can build darn good guitars at Gibson.
    The fact for Germany seems to be that obviously the biggest stores like Thomann and Musicstore had enough of Gibsons's reseller policy and the conditions Gibson imposed on them.
    As a result it seems that Thomann is selling stock and Music Store just has had a huge blowout of the 2015 line.

None of these are on the R8, I believe - which would make all this drama quite the joke :)