Custom OD/Dist Stomp

• I wonder if it it possible to have, within the od/dist stomp, a "custom OD/Dist stomp" having this controls:

-Gain
    -Blend
    -Volume
    -3 band parametric EQ
    -Hi and Lo pass filter
    -Mode (Fuzz, Dist, OD)
    -Clip (Diode, Tube, etc)
    -Comp
    -Pick

I know that the policy is to keep it simple, but i think that it could be a good way for users who have some great stomps to manually model their OD/Dist/Fuzz stomps.

• i think that it could be a good way for users who have some great stomps to manually model their OD/Dist/Fuzz stomps.

I love this idea. Would be great if users could share presests of their od stomps.
    Meanwhile I think Kemper team is working on the FX section, I really hope they will add new models to the existing od stomps!

• No.
    This FR is about a highly configurable generic distortion module to use for stomps.

YES

The parameters:
    Gain ----------------------------------------- is in the Amp- and stomp-Section of the profiler
    -Blend --------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler (though determined for Bass)
    -Volume-------------------------------------- is in the Amp- and stomp-Section of the profiler and Stomp-type
    -3 band parametric EQ------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler plus Presence and a tone-parameter in the stomp section
    -Hi and Lo pass filter --------------------- o.k. another stomp slot necessary
    -Mode (Fuzz, Dist, OD)-------------------is a stomp-slot
    -Clip (Diode, Tube, etc)------------------ o.k. would be a new parameter
    -Comp---------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler
    -Pick------------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler

I know what you mean, but for me, there would be other necessary new features.

• Quote from Hurricane

There are plenty of different distortions/ODs/fuzzes out there that people like to run before their amps. Right now, unless the amp was profiled with a particular pedal, we're stuck with the Kemper's rather limited (IMO) options, which can often require a separate EQ to get the tone you want.

Personally, I'd love to see things like an adjustable center frequency for the Green Scream's mid-boost, some sort of added-harmonic effect like a Sonic Maximizer, etc. Adding an additional distortion effect called "DIY Boost" with a bunch of advanced settings like this would be really handy. In fact, I'd love to see an advanced option for other effects like the Compressor and Gate, with all the typical attack/hold/release settings in milliseconds, knee, blah blah blah. Having them as separate stomps would keep the Kemper easy-to-use for anyone who just wants to plug in and play, but still allow for some of the flexibility you get from Fractal.

• YES

The parameters:
    Gain ----------------------------------------- is in the Amp- and stomp-Section of the profiler

The fact that this parameter is in the amp section has nothing to do with my feature request.
    I'm asking for a new stomp, no for features in the amp section.
    And AFAIK any OD/Dist stomp has a gain section, isn't it?

-Blend --------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler (though determined for Bass)

Have you ever tried a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive? Direct signal going to FOH is different from blending direct signal with overdriven one going into the amp section.

-Volume-------------------------------------- is in the Amp- and stomp-Section of the profiler and Stomp-type

Really? :D

-3 band parametric EQ------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler plus Presence and a tone-parameter in the stomp section

Really x2? :D

-Hi and Lo pass filter --------------------- o.k. another stomp slot necessary

It would be cool to avoid using several slot just to shape an overdrive, since the number of slots is limited.

-Mode (Fuzz, Dist, OD)-------------------is a stomp-slot

Really x3? :D

-Clip (Diode, Tube, etc)------------------ o.k. would be a new parameter

Finally we agree on something :D

-Comp---------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler

But not as a stomp parameter. See above.

-Pick------------------------------------------- is in the Amp-Section of the profiler

See above.

I think that everybody has his own opinion on what is necessary.
    IMHO an editor is not necessary, since i have been using the profiler for years and i never needed it. Of course it would be smart, but not necessary. Nevertheless I understand that some people feel more comfortable with it.
    So, I think that bashing a FR by mixing things that have nothing to do with the request ain't a constructive way to talk, IMHO ;)

• Great emotional thread :thumbup:

So please try to understand a very old school and simple thinking old man.
    The huge amount of nearly 400 parameters of the KPA (as I read once in another thread - don't know,if that is true) is more than enough for an untalented guitarplayer like me :/ .
    Things would become even more complicated to design your sound.
    If I were a develloper at Kemper's my intention would be, to simplify things and possibly reduce the number of parameters.

How many knobs, does the real thing (overdrive-/distortion-stomp) need?

• Quote from Hurricane

Great emotional thread :thumbup:

So please try to understand a very old school and simple thinking old man.
    The huge amount of nearly 400 parameters of the KPA (as I read once in another thread - don't know,if that is true) is more than enough for an untalented guitarplayer like me :/ .
    Things would become even more complicated to design your sound.
    If I were a develloper at Kemper's my intention would be, to simplify things and possibly reduce the number of parameters.

How many knobs, does the real thing (overdrive-/distortion-stomp) need?

Adding another stomp with all the custom options in it doesn't make things any more complicated for anybody that doesn't want to use it. As is, plenty of people use their Kemper without even touching many of the parameters available, and having those extra options isn't getting in the way.

As for "how many knobs does the real thing need?", my answer to you is this - thousands. Why? Because there are hundreds of different OD pedals out there, with their own sound, and their own choice of knobs.

• [quote=
    As for "how many knobs does the real thing need?", my answer to you is this - thousands. Why? Because there are hundreds of different OD pedals out there, with their own sound, and their own choice of knobs.[/quote]......

....and one (or two) good one(s) should to the trick :thumbup:

• ....and one (or two) good one(s) should to the trick :thumbup:

This might be true for you (or for me as well as I'm not e stomp geek) but a fully customizable distortion unit would be beneficial to many users.
    And, like @Lokasenna stated, you don't have to use a custom OD if you don't have a need for it.

• I get my distortion flavors from the thousands of different amplifier profiles, but, I think a fully customizable distortion is a good idea, too. This would be especially useful to stompbox fans if it came with several presets that sounded like existing pedals, to use as starting points to create sounds that do not exist yet.

This.

• I get my distortion flavors from the thousands of different amplifier profiles, but, I think a fully customizable distortion is a good idea, too. This would be especially useful to stompbox fans if it came with several presets that sounded like existing pedals, to use as starting points to create sounds that do not exist yet.

what a great idea. Thanks Paults.