[BM Profiles] Bert's Mace-DR rigpack, available now!!!

• While it is not the exchange rate here (what a bummer!) it is the simple fact that i do not buy bundles. i have made one exception in four years and while
    some of those profiles remain in my favourites i have never actually recorded with 80% percent of them. So: the possibility to buy each amp profiles
    separately would be a super nice addition marketing-wise.

This bundle is different, I guess. I have not found a profile I would not use in a recording or live setup. Works well with various types of guitars.

• In my pack from Bert I don't have a lead "A+" CA profile, just an "A". Am I missing one? Did you also use Bert's profile for the trumpet I hear? ;)

Yes, I had one "+" too much, it's like Bert said the "CA 3+ ch3 A"-profile.

The trumpet is coming from the keyboards, no guitars and no profiles used for that. Usually I start with the drums (normally Addictive Drums, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, Loops ect.), then I play the rest (electric bass, keyboards and guitars). Sometimes I'm using Spectrasonocs Trillian instead of an electric bass, I'm trying not to quantize anything I'm playing into the computer. For my keyboads I'm using Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Native Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate with some additional libraries like Ethno World (Best Service).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• That's an awesome trumpet "patch." I generally don't use instrument plug-ins much, even though they came with the software (Logic, Pro Tools). I generally use what's on my Motif, or I create a new sound on it. But you and I use a similar recording strategy; drums first, I usually do a rhythm guitar or key track, then bass, leads, extras... though I usually play real bass, rarely keyboard variety.

That IS a very nice profile by Bert (CA 3+ ch3 A), without the extra "+." I am also enjoying his dist Luke for playing leads, the BEC Ch3 boost 2 (a great crunch rig), and am torn on the cleans between the CA3+ Ch 1 A, and the Shower 62 clean. They are both really superb. But I can't say I'm finished trying out all of his profiles yet, just getting started. Ciao!

Gary ô¿ô

• Tivadar, I feel for you brother and Guitartone too.

Guenter and Gary, that's how I do it too, although traditionally I've used keys and keyboard bass when fleshing out ideas and working up to the point where I feel things are ready to bring in guitar, real bass and finally vocals.

Maybe things will be different when I get back to recording seeing as the Kemper will see my being much more keen to get to the guitar bits.

The highlight for me is always lead breaks. Monosynth, ROMpler sax, trumpet or flute and of course guitar. For this reason I don't think I've ever written a song that didn't have one.

Gary, if you want to hear great sax and trumpet (and 'bone), and I too have a Motif, although it's an XS rack, along with a Rolly INTEGRA-7, I highly recommend you check out Sample Modelling's latest updates. There are plenty of demos on their site. They've been around for a while and have been refining their products for use with keyboard controllers for many years. Best examples of the aforementioned instruments I've heard from either sampling or modelling. In fact, I reckon they'd be up to the task for close to the most demanding of sessions (high-end projects), so for me personally their products would be absolutely fantastic. Been on my radar for around 6 years now as I still haven't transitioned to the world of VIs.

Bert, your pack is on my radar now; it seems to be going down very well, mate. Well done!

• I highly recommend you check out Sample Modelling's latest updates. There are plenty of demos on their site.

Thanks for the tip! Those demos sound amazingly real. I own a few of the big hitters from Audiobro, Cinesamples, EastWest etc., but these beat them hands down for solo instruments.
    Added to my list now too, MM.

You'd do well to make Bert's profiles a high priority too, as they really are up there with the best of them, but really do offer something different.

• Thanks for the tip! Those demos sound amazingly real. I own a few of the big hitters from Audiobro, Cinesamples, EastWest etc., but these beat them hands down for solo instruments.

You'd do well to make Bert's profiles a high priority too, as they really are up there with the best of them, but really do offer something different.

+1
    Outstanding profiles. Nice sounds without tweaking so much.
    @ MM: Balls too ;)

cheers
    Frank

and.......

• Ha ha ha Frank. Yeah, woody balls, vintage balls, scratchy balls, cock-rock balls, immediate balls, responsive balls, mix-ready balls, classy balls, shredded balls, smooth balls, metal balls, glassy balls, controlled balls, tight balls, fizzy balls, warm balls... I love 'em all. Balls that is... in my Kemper, just to be absolutely clear. LOL

Thanks for the tip! Those demos sound amazingly real. I own a few of the big hitters from Audiobro, Cinesamples, EastWest etc., but these beat them hands down for solo instruments.

Doh! I didn't mean to help you too, SamBro'! LOL

Yeah bro', not only is it no contest, but theoretically you'd have to spend less time massaging the MIDI data post-tracking due to the highly-refined scripting of the VIs' (all of them) behaviour; they're designed to be able to produce reasonably convincing results when played in real time from a keyboard. I say "reasonably", but that's only 'cause I know how brass and woodwind players would hear the instruments. For all intents and purposes, IMHO, the results should be "spectacular".

It's only a matter of saving the money, mate. Already on the radar, but I very much appreciate your assurances too, SamBro'. :P

• Thanks for the tip Monkey_Man. The VI's sound great for recording and would fit in nicely there. I'll look into those. Since I play out live a lot, doubling on lead guit and keys, I need a different solution for my Motif XS8. Keyfax might have improved voices, haven't checked in a while as I already own many of their packs. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Gary ô¿ô

• That IS a very nice profile by Bert (CA 3+ ch3 A)

+1. thats my new lead tone now for solos that need some hair on them. got a gig new years and will be creating a performance patch or two with this rig. also i am using the solduru clean 1 and vempi chan 4 lead patches.cant wait to hear the sound guys take on these.

• Thanks for the tip Monkey_Man. The VI's sound great for recording and would fit in nicely there. I'll look into those. Since I play out live a lot, doubling on lead guit and keys, I need a different solution for my Motif XS8. Keyfax might have improved voices, haven't checked in a while as I already own many of their packs. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Hey, no wuckers (short for no wuckin' forries), Gary.

For the Motif, may I make another superb suggestion?(!)

Grab David Polich's patch libraries. I think there are at least 5 from memory. Dave's bio is too extensive to quote here, but suffice it to say that he's a very experienced and well-respected patch programmer who's presets you'd surely have used already as he's contributed to many a ROMpler's factory library over the years. Listen to the demos if you doubt my judgement.

I respect his judgement and ear; he knows what sounds right and totally "gets it". I've also been lucky enough to have benefitted from his postings at MOTUNation for the past 5 years or so. He's "available" at the MOTIF Forum too (MOTIFator), where I think you can buy his libraries. They're cheap and are data only (no samples), so all you need is user-patch slots, of which the MOTIFs all have very many (way more than most ROMplers):

motifator.com - forum

Please let me know how you go, mate.

EDIT: Sorry for the OT stuff, Bert. A positive is that the discussion was borne out of the quality of your profiles!

• Quite true Monkey_Man, I own several of Dave's libraries already and have spoken with him on the phone over the years. He is indeed a good source, great for live sounds, not as authentic as the VI sounds you mentioned imho. I have been on Motifator.com many times over the years as well. I really think they've overdone the XS and FS series with complexity. The ES series was way easier to program, tweak, do drum patterns. Kind of wish I hadn't upgraded. End of this OT discussion, no worries gents.

OT: I apologize as well Bert for this side topic generated by your wonderful profiles and Guenter's recording. I'm really digging them. I'm curious Bert - why do you place the Pure Booster pre-stack and EQ post? Isn't that sort of backwards to traditional logic? You're EQing distorted sounds (if it's present) and boosting only part of the signal. I always reverse them.

Gary ô¿ô

• OT: I apologize as well Bert for this side topic generated by your wonderful profiles and Guenter's recording. I'm really digging them. I'm curious Bert - why do you place the Pure Booster pre-stack and EQ post? Isn't that sort of backwards to traditional logic? You're EQing distorted sounds (if it's present) and boosting only part of the signal. I always reverse them.

Hey Gary,

I place the pure booster pre-stack to overdive the input of the amp stack. It gives just that little more crunch or overdrive on the sound when needed. The EQ post is mainly for low cut, the low that I don't wanna hear in a track because it isn't useful (IMHO).

Ciao, Bert

• I place the pure booster pre-stack to overdive the input of the amp stack. It gives just that little more crunch or overdrive on the sound when needed. The EQ post is mainly for low cut, the low that I don't wanna hear in a track because it interferes with the bass (IMHO).

I'll give myself a good comparison of that approach, probably haven't given it a fair shake (working on auto-pilot). The low cut EQ post I understand interfering with bass and kick drums in the mix. Thanks for your clarification!

Gary

Gary ô¿ô

• [quote='breu','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25837-Awesome-profiles-from-sessionplayer-Bert-Meulendijk-on-www-bmprofiles-com/?postID=272902#post272902']
    I'll give myself a good comparison of that approach, probably haven't given it a fair shake (working on auto-pilot). The low cut EQ post I understand interfering with bass and kick drums in the mix. Thanks for your clarification!

Gary

I often cut below 80-90 Hz because in my opinion it's useless and disturbing low (in the sounds I use and music I play)..

• Once again, sorry for the distraction, Bert.

No worries man :)
    We're all searching constantly to improve sounds and to make our music sound better.
    A good soundlibrary (for keys) is one thing, good profiles for the KPA another.
    At this moment I'm totally into the profile thing... :) :)

Cheers, Bert

• I place the pure booster pre-stack to overdive the input of the amp stack. It gives just that little more crunch or overdrive on the sound when needed. The EQ post is mainly for low cut, the low that I don't wanna hear in a track because it isn't useful (IMHO).

Hi Bert,
    I did a detailed comparison of Pure Booster pre-stack vs. post-stack. For the life of me I could not pick up on that little bit more crunch you referred to. Actually - I found the volume dropped unless I pushed it over 4.0. If I placed that post-stack that amount would kill my ears (and the audience's). The EQ I couldn't notice an audible difference, but what do I know - I'm a rocker and am probably half deaf anyway.

What I DID appreciate was placement and usage of distortion pre-stack, as are in many of your profiles, adding much zing and added overdrive... that made much more of a difference in my testing than pure booster pre-stack. (Have you tried the Pure Booster post-stack?)

It's all good, and all FOR the good of our sound, however we like it. Thanks for being there!
    Gary

Gary ô¿ô