[BM Profiles] Bert's Mace-DR rigpack, available now!!!

• Appreciate that Guenter but disagree with your view on Ibanez having a weak sound. Thx for commenting that the profiles sound good with not just single coils though. I'll probably pick these up at some point but with so many profiles being heralded as the best at the moment, I'm in no huge rush

It's true there's a lot of hype on all forums, and it's something many of us learn the hard (expensive) way. At least buying profiles is cheaper and takes less space than guitars. For me these profiles are not supplanting what I have from TAF, Soundside and MBritt, but Bert's profiles have more than met my minimum expectation for me to be happy with the purchase. I haven't spent a huge amount of time with them yet (last week I also bought a Boss SY-300 that's been tugging at my sleeve), but I like almost every profile in that pack. Several are on my favorites folder already, and I've just scratched the surface exploring them. I also enjoy the range and quality of effect settings on these profiles. I'm just a bedroom hack and while I can use my ears, now I'm able to access the experience of professional players and studio engineers. The Dick Dale profile comes to mind -- not normally a tone I would seek out but that now I find myself enjoying -- and there's several others.

• First of all, thanks for your great compliment Frank !!

I think the first thing I'll have to do is to make a couple of sound samples played with a Les Paul or ES 335...
    And yes, maybe I'm gonna make some profiles with my Valley arts (EMG HB,SC,SC) or a guitar loaded with HB's.

I would love patches dialled for those 3 you mention (LP, 335 especially and EMGs). That would be a cherry on top for this current batch which is a very useful set as it stands.

• Netheravon: it's all a matter of taste, I'm talking about "weak" clean sounds and I've never heard a JEM-Ibanez guitar with that huge clean sound from a vintage strat or tele or a very good new model. In fact Steve Vai's clean sounds are the worst I've ever heard.... The neck is very important to get a "fat" tone, if it's too thin it won't work. When it comes to clean and crunch tones, strat, tele, old Epiphone, Gretsch and ES-335 are my favourites.

Just listen to Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford ect. ect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Netheravon: it's all a matter of taste, I'm talking about "weak" clean sounds and I've never heard a JEM-Ibanez guitar with that huge clean sound from a vintage strat or tele or a very good new model. In fact Steve Vai's clean sounds are the worst I've ever heard.... The neck is very important to get a "fat" tone, if it's too thin it won't work. When it comes to clean and crunch tones, strat, tele, old Epiphone, Gretsch and ES-335 are my favourites.

Just listen to Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford ect. ect.

Yes its a matter of taste.For me the clean sound from Vai is one of the best clean sounds i have ever heard but its because i am a big fan of this world wide top ten player.
    I think its a more modern sound and the result depends also from the pick ups. I own a jem fp from 1991 with paf ibanez pick ups. This guitar is much warmer than my new one with the evolution pu's. A strat sound is a strat sound, you can identify a strat directely on a tune.
    I like it too and at the moment i am looking for a strat, think i buy a clapton blacky or a 3 tone sunburst am standard.
    Lets go for this vintage sound.

cheers

and...

• It's good that we live in a free world and everybody can have his own taste. ;)

The Steve Vai-clean sounds I know are very "hi-fi", seems that he plugged his guitars directly into d.i. and desk. If you like this sound that's fine, I prefer the clean sounds of old Fender and Vox-amps, f.e. the clean sounds of Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson ect. I'm definitively not into high-gain speed-players and prefer the guitarists with blues-roots, they can be virtuosos, too, but they have a different sound and approach.

There's one Steve Vai-album I really like, it's "Flexable", the album has been produced in the beginning of Vai's Zappa years. The album is very "zappaesque" and astonishingly recorded just with a Fostex 8-track tape-machine. Back then In bought the album (thick vinyl) directly from Steve Vai in L.A. and I also got 2 handwritten letters from him. Of course he is an outstanding guitar-player with a huge fan-base, but albums like "Sex & Religion" ect. are definitively not my cup of tea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Just for you, @guenterhaas :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just for you, @guenterhaas :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is this a clean sound without di? Think he is playing over the legacy. Think we go back to topic.

External Content www.youtube.com

• @sambrox & Eltzejupp: thanks, but I know Steve Vai, I have seen him long ago with Frank Zappa and I've seen some solo-shows, too. Can I please have the right to find him horrible? I'm more into good music and songs, not into high-speed scale-racing and floyd rose-guitar gimmicks. I'm not a big fan of music for musicians generally. If you like the clean sound on the videos it's fine, I don't like it. If you are a big fan of Steve Vai and guitar-players in that style that's fine for me. We all have our taste and gladly a very different one, that makes the world so colorful. But we shouldn't set our own taste and opinions always on No. 1 and try to "convince" anybody else. I'm 53 years old and I'm playing guitar since I'm 8, the last 28 years being a pro-player, so there's been enough time for me developing my own taste of playing guitar and listening to music.

Let's be tolerant, if I don't like Steve Vai, Al di Meola and John McLaughlin (especially on electric guitar) that's my right as a free person. I'm just much more into tasty playing with time for space and not into scale-racing, that's why I prefer Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Eric Johnson, Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny ect.

Let's get BTT.

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• Hi Guenter
    I completely understand what you mean, but when you say you're "into good music", and that Vai's tone is "the worst clean tone" you've ever heard, it can be frustrating for others, especially Vai's fans, even if everyone's entitled to his own opinion, it's just how you say things.

Back on topic, I really like your profiles Bert, especially the Bogner! (with Strat or buckers)
    ++

• "Good music" amd "the worst clean tone" are my subjective taste, that should be clear and there's no room for misinterpretation. I'm totally against any "fanboyism", trying to convince everybody to love their idols, too (or Mac, iPhone, car ect.). That's the reason I don't post any videos here, I have my taste and everybody else can have a different one, that's called pluralistic society. And too much "political correctness" can make our planet very boring. ;)

Let's really go BTT, I have to say that I have a lot of fun with Bert's profiles. :love:

Edited 2 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• @sambrox & Eltzejupp: thanks, but I know Steve Vai, I have seen him long ago with Frank Zappa and I've seen some solo-shows, too. Can I please have the right to find him horrible? I'm more into good music and songs, not into high-speed scale-racing and floyd rose-guitar gimmicks. I'm not a big fan of music for musicians generally. If you like the clean sound on the videos it's fine, I don't like it. If you are a big fan of Steve Vai and guitar-players in that style that's fine for me. We all have our taste and gladly a very different one, that makes the world so colorful. But we shouldn't set our own taste and opinions always on No. 1 and try to "convince" anybody else. I'm 53 years old and I'm playing guitar since I'm 8, the last 28 years being a pro-player, so there's been enough time for me developing my own taste of playing guitar and listening to music.

Let's be tolerant, if I don't like Steve Vai, Al di Meola and John McLaughlin (especially on electric guitar) that's my right as a free person. I'm just much more into tasty playing with time for space and not into scale-racing, that's why I prefer Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, Eric Johnson, Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny ect.

Let's get BTT.

Ha! You misunderstood my intention completely, but that's ok. You seem to be quite quick to go in to defensive mode. I posted that video because I too liked Flexable much more than Vai's later offerings (although I still like him as a guitar player). Youre a bit too quick to get on your high horse, dude.

• No worries, Bert. I bought your profiles the other day, but haven't had chance to try them yet. I'm looking forward to it though, as I generally play the same genres as you (yes, I too am a session player, though it isn't my main source of income or my preferred musical occupation :) ).

• Thanks insomnia discovered this thread last night and wow this is magic,every nuance is there for each guitar,my Les Paul Deluxe with Alex Axe mikes from Vigier is speaking for the first time.

Bravo ,bought the profiles this morning and it's the best buy for a long time.

• I'm in a fairly long recording project and everytime I select sounds for a new song, I think I'd start off with some different profiles, just to get a taste of what else works great, but eventually end up with one of Bert's. It's like I just can't avoid it :)

• Bought these yesterday and don't regret the purchase. I haven't found a profile in the pack that I didn't like. This pack is right up there with the very best commercial and free rigs. I already had too many very good profiles before, now I've increased my problem by another 74. I've become a profile hoarder.

Thanks @breu for your great sounding profiles.

• Sounds like the cleans are outstanding from everyone's comments. Can anyone chime in on the distorted profiles? Not looking for metal so much, just a some good rock sounds? Cheers!