Hello from York, UK

• Right = correct, so the right side is the correct side.

Not buying this? My excuse is that we're down under, and technically upside down. Even our water swirls the other way when draining a sink. Interestingly, on the equator, it doesn't know which way to go; the subtle overall directional bias of the eddies and currents, which one can influence manually (er... twirling a finger in it), will gather momen-titty-um and spin in the resulting direction. It goes without saying that for the most part, these subtle movements in the water are the legacy of recent human (mostly, perhaps not in my case) active-titty, along with convection currents due to the fact that more often than not temperature differences between container and medium exist (water typically comes from taps, meaning pipes, which by definition don't usually reflect ambient temperatures, unlike most "containers").

Cripes. What have I gotten myself into here?! Damn you, Skoczy! LOL

• Right = correct, so the right side is the correct side.

Not buying this? My excuse is that we're down under, and technically upside down. Even our water swirls the other way when draining a sink. Interestingly, on the equator, it doesn't know which way to go; the subtle overall directional bias of the eddies and currents, which one can influence manually (er... twirling a finger in it), will gather momen-titty-um and spin in the resulting direction. It goes without saying that for the most part, these subtle movements in the water are the legacy of recent human (mostly, perhaps not in my case) active-titty, along with convection currents due to the fact that more often than not temperature differences between container and medium exist (water typically comes from taps, meaning pipes, which by definition don't usually reflect ambient temperatures, unlike most "containers").

Cripes. What have I gotten myself into here?! Damn you, Skoczy! LOL

We're talking coriolis effect here mate ;) On the equator the water just goes straight down in a sink outlet :D it swirls right and left at the same time [Blocked Image: http://klubseata.pl/forum/Smileys/IPBs/rotfl.gif]

• Ha!

So are you saying that after twirling a finger in it to give it a spin direction, it won't gather momen-titty-um at the equi-titty-taster? I always thought gravity, coupled with the constriction of the spin (just as it does when ice skaters spin), accelerated the, er... spin. The gravity's a given. The plug hole and shape of the basin serve to constrict.

What am I missing brah (besides human DNA and a little cottonsense)?

• Ha!

So are you saying that after twirling a finger in it to give it a spin direction, it won't gather momen-titty-um at the equi-titty-taster? I always thought gravity, coupled with the constriction of the spin (just as it does when ice skaters spin), accelerated the, er... spin. The gravity's a given. The plug hole and shape of the basin serve to constrict.

What am I missing brah (besides human DNA and a little cottonsense)?

No spinning there on equator, just straight down ;) However just few meters south or north off equator and spin is there!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There's some bad science in that clip.

How convenient that the water in example 1 is super-still and settled. I'm betting that if she'd twirled the water in either direction, as I suggested, it would've maintained its spin; the coriolis effect has zero influence at the equator, in effect, even 'though the lack of effect is part of the phenomenon as such.

The question I asked still remains, so to quote the Monkster:

Are you saying that after twirling a finger in it to give it a spin direction, it won't gather momen-titty-um at the equi-titty-taster? I always thought gravity, coupled with the constriction of the spin (just as it does when ice skaters spin), accelerated the, er... spin. The gravity's a given. The plug hole and shape of the basin serve to constrict.

To embellish the question somewhat: When a skater narrows his / her width by pulling his / her arms / legs inwards, does it matter whether or not he / she is on the equator? I stand by my supposition.

This is hilarious to me, this exchange, Skoczy. Thank you for helping me get off to a happy start of the day during which has been a trying week. Much appreciated, mate. Sorry if I've come across as being a bit difficult; just havin' a little fun. 8o

• After twirling a finger to give the water the spin when the plug hole is open, off course the spin would be there, but it would decay on equator, since there is no Coriolis effect there.

The situation with skater narrowing/extending width by pulling in/out hands or legs is an effect of "moment of inertia", it has nothing to do with Coriolis force though. "Spinning figure skaters can reduce their moment of inertia by pulling in their arms, allowing them to spin faster due to conservation of angular momentum"

Nothing to be sorry about mate, science is amazing, think Kemper! ;)

• I know (and well knew) about the CE and CAM; I'm tempted to tell a story, but it's way too late.

We'd probably best leave it there lest the OP return to a pig stye. I can see it now:

"You guys have been partying and trashing my house while I've been out there working for a crust!
    Who do you think you are? Rock stars?" :D