100% REPRODUCED Digital Cracking [AUDIO SAMPLE] - Pure Cabinet & Reverb & Headphone Space related

• I COULD REPRODUCE IT 100%

And by 100% I mean "one hundred percent" ;)

Well, not that weak sound when switching rigs but I got some serious digital crackling while playing one rig and I can recreate. It is Pure Cabinet & Reverb & Headphone Space related.

So here we go:

1) OS 3.2.1
    2) Headphone output (don't have speakers or cab now)
    3) select SPLAWN 3RD GEAR rig
    4) Enable Reverb as FX - Hall Reverb, Mix 13.2%, Del+Rev Balance +58%, Time 0.6, Damping 7.1, Predelay 160ms, rest of parameters at 0.0 - that are my settings right now
    4) go to OUTPUT menu (hold OUTPUT for a while)
    5) turn off Pure Cabinet, make sure Headphone Space is not engaged
    6) start turning Pure Cabinet let and right - it will engage the Pure Cabinet automatically
    7) engage Headphone Space and keep rotating Pure Cabinet knob - it's cracking like hell

-----> Reverb OFF - it was not there
    -----> Reverb OFF, Delay ON it was not there
    -----------> Reverb ON, Delay ON it was not there

IMPORTANT1 - I am on Headphones so when I engaged Headphone Space at 6) it started cracking. When you're on Monitors you may experience it when you engage Space Effect in the OUTPUT

I checked another rig and now it is cracking with Reverb on and quickly turning Pure Cabinet knob, without touching Space/Headphone Space effect in OUTPUT.

IMPORTANT2 - and what I noticed Space/Headphone Space is not Space effect that you can load to STOMPS or X, MOD - it (Space stomp) has different spatial effect and haven't caused the cracking when engaged in point 5) of this procedure.

*=*=*=*=*= Please check this procedure and return with your results. =*=*=*=*=*

IMPORTANT3 - this hasn't happed on clean rig, both rigs where it happened were hi-gain ~70% and more. So now High Gain comes to an equation....

Support ticket sent to Kemper HQ along with backup.

I recorded audio sample below - RECORDED BY SPDIF (and it was heard on HP, I suppose it will be on MAIN OUTPUT also....):

0:00 - 0:12 - Headphone space is OFF, I just turn Pure Cabinet left and right - no artifacts
    0:13 - 0:21 - I engaged Headphone Space and keep turning Pure Cabinet knob - artifacts are there
    0:22 - 0:31 - I disengaged Headphone Space and keep turning Pure Cabinet knob - no artifacts
    0:31 - 0:38 - I engaged Headphone Space again and I keep turning Pure Cabinet knob - artifacts are there

During turning the Pure Cabinet knob I noticed Kemper was lagging - I could see the LEDS around the Pure Cabinet knob were frozen few times - like Kemper has not enough power...

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So I hope this will help Kemper team to track this down, maybe the same issue causes 2 seconds weak sound while switch rigs, or at least this will help them.

And why can't I be rewarded with Remote for X-mas for discovering it? :cursing::love::S<X[Blocked Image: http://forum.budujemydom.pl/style_emoticons/default/hahaha2.gif][Blocked Image: http://forum.budujemydom.pl/style_emoticons/default/hahaha2.gif][Blocked Image: http://forum.budujemydom.pl/style_emoticons/default/hahaha2.gif]

Edited 7 times, last by skoczy ().

• Good job on the research skoczy!!

Very weird situation there :/

Now when I press RIG button to mark rig as favorite I can't see the confirmation prompt which I've seen 2 days ago on the same OS 3.2.1

[Blocked Image: http://s13.postimg.org/k3kxt3787/kpa_fav.jpg]

Very, very weird :/:/:/:/ this looks like unstable Operating System in my opinion, I noticed many lags in system, I experienced 2 seconds weak sound between changing rigs and I was able to recreate the aerospace artifact cracking

Again this is clearly Pure Cabinet related, Reverb must be engaged. Play with Headphone space and BOOOM!

Please check below - I don't get this "This Rig is one of your favorites now" prompt - I had this 2 days ago

1) I have rig not marked as Favorite
    2) I press RIG button, the rig is being marked as Favorite, what you can notice by TAP button losing blink for a moment and then quickly blinking - NO PROMPT POPUP
    3) I press RIG button again, the rig is removed from Favorite, what you can notice by TAP button losing blink for a moment and then quickly blinking - NO PROMPT POPUP

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by skoczy ().

• My Kemper will crackle with Headphone Space on REGARDLESS of any other settings.
    The crackle appears on both clean and dirty rigs at any setting of space as soon as headphone space is engaged.
    Note though the that crackling appears thru the headphones. I did not check whether it appears on spdif/mainout/etc...
    The crackling is subtle and is most noticed when applying vibrato to a single high pitch note. You will hear the "crackle" vibrating with your vibrato which makes it super obvious.
    When its not obvious it just makes the tone sound a bit worse.

I can also confirm that the noise that appears when switching rigs is still present, but much more rare to happen to me, I cannot seem to reproduce it.
    The only times it happened to me was when I was going through profiles fast thru the Rig Manager.

Hope this helps and thanks Skoczy for taking the time to reproduce this.

• External Content soundcloud.com

I recorded from my headphone output into my DAW but the effect is less prominent on mono.
    I EQ'd the track to make the crackle more pronounced, and now that it is heard more clearly it seems more like aliasing than crackle atleast in this case.

It doesn't sound THAT bad when I'm actually listening to it thru headphones, but it is clearly audible even on both clean and overdriven/distorted tones.

Again, this effect only appears when the Headphone space option is switched on, regardless of the value of space. The higher the value of space tho the more audible it becomes.
    Happens both with Pure Cab on/off. The recording had Pure cab OFF.
    Also not rig dependent. This is heard or any rig that isn't noisy enough to mask the effect.
    I also made 100% sure the signal is not clipping at ANY stage.

• In my case it happens when

1) I have Reverb ON
    2) I engage Pure Cabinet effect
    3) I will engage Headphone Space and keep turning Pure Cab

Interesting - when I engage Delay (Reverb is ON) the cracking stops!

-----> Reverb OFF - cracking is not there
    -----> Reverb OFF, Delay ON cracking is not there
    -----------> Reverb ON, Delay ON cracking is not there
    ---------------> Reverb ON, Delay OFF - it is there

I hope it helps support team.

• Good job guys! So many threads are flooded with words instead of a simple recording and keep readers uncertain about what the problem actually is or sounds like.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I'm sure if Skoczy has sent this all to the KPA team they will get to the bottom of this no doubt

I have sent backup and Kemper support and they were able to recreate this (how could anyone not recreate this when I described it so nice! ;) ) - they need more action from me, what I will deliver, but on Monday soonest :)

• Good job guys! So many threads are flooded with words instead of a simple recording and keep readers uncertain about what the problem actually is or sounds like.

Right. In some cases, however, this is due to the fact, that some unwanted behaviour is hard to reproduce.

• Right. In some cases, however, this is due to the fact, that some unwanted behaviour is hard to reproduce.

Unless you are dedicated to quality, you have some testing experience and you spend some time doing there actual investigation ;)

• any news on this problem? Got a lot of fizz and crackling on my headphones when i turn the volume up in the output menu.
    Problem starts at -12 db and louder

Your problem may be due the output clipping . Do you have red led under "OUTPUT" with >-12 dB settings ?
    Volume is just to set similar volume between the RIGS. Use Mater volume to turn up KPA output to higher level.

• Your problem may be due the output clipping . Do you have red led under "OUTPUT" with >-12 dB settings ?
    Volume is just to set similar volume between the RIGS. Use Mater volume to turn up KPA output to higher level.

It looks like the output is clipping when the led indicator turns yellow.
    When i stay below -12db the volume is to low to hear a profile

• Im sure Skoczy was working with Kemper about this issue, i wonder if he has got any further with it, and what the KPA team have said

We've worked a bit on it. I got confirmation from HQ on 4th of Dec 2015 that the cracking was reproduced and developers' team will apply fix in next Operating System. Let's hope we'll see fresh OS close to NAMM which is in 7 days :)