Well I do need a NPD thread

• New profiler.
    Sold off all my tube amps as I was so impressed with the Amplifire into a CLR. The CLR sounded too hi fi, or sizzly on the high end, so I sold it. Got the Matrix Q12's and couldn't be happier. Definitely more of a cab feel. The only issue is they are very bass oriented and most of the profiles I have to take the bass down a notch. Don't know if that's because they are on the floor. But for me, the Q12's are a far better solution for the type of music I play, which is not clean. I'm down in the depths of the underworld with the Mark V's, Bogner's, 5150's, etc.....

Anyhow, this thing is well worth the close to 5k I have invested in it. I'm also stoked that there is enough info and tweaking contained inside this thing to occupy me for a while.

The only issue I have with it, and this is probably because I'm 3' in front of the thing on a bean bag (LOL) is ear fatigue pretty quickly. I have the decibel app on my phone and it's running about 90+
    Anything lower and I lose a lot of clarity, but I feel it's still too loud.

[Blocked Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/t31.0-8/11261662_1668595656750998_7765410190576118630_o.jpg]

• 87dB is the generally accepted optimum level to mix at (at least for the cinema), but I find that to be WAAAY too loud for prolonged listening sessions. At work (I'm a sound designer and work in post production) I monitor at around 78dB, some times a little louder for detail work, but in a critical near-field listening environment, 90dB and upwards will soon tire your ears, and maybe over a longer period cause irreparable damage.

Look after your ears! Once they're damaged, that's it!

ps congrats on your purchase! ;)

• Nice rig

As Sam says...

Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB

But you knew this already.

The sax player in my band is deaf in one ear from playing next to loud drummers.

The drummer from a band I used to play in has lost 75% of the hearing in his SECOND ear after going completely deaf in the other.

Both these guys have been playing live for 30 years or more.

May not all be down to the music but I bet it hasn't helped.

• Thanks guys, I have to figure out the relation between the volume and the master volume. When I turn down there is some loss of tone. When I turn the master down too much the thing just doesn't produce any sound. Maybe the volume up more and the master down.

• Volume determines the strenght of the signal hitting the converter, if you clip it the output LED will stay in the red.
    master volume determines how strong you feed the power amp. Too high a level kight clip the amp's input.

they are both linear as regards the tone, as long ad they stay in the linear zone. IOW, they do not affect it at all. What changes with volume is your ears' sensitivity to certain frequencies (the lower, the more mids you hear) and the room's response to the sound (the higher, the more the room gets excited!).

there's a reason why the CLR are so linear :)

• Thanks guys, I have to figure out the relation between the volume and the master volume. When I turn down there is some loss of tone. When I turn the master down too much the thing just doesn't produce any sound. Maybe the volume up more and the master down.

Further to Vibracroce's excellent advice and info...

You can also consider the regular "Volume" control as the primary way to balance the relative volumes between different profiles/rigs. All things being equal, you may find that certain rigs will be "louder" than others, depending on the type of FX and EQ levels that are associated with a given rig/profile. Obviously, when you are switching between different rigs, you want to maintain a more or less constant over-all playing volume. The regular "Volume" control adjusts the individual volume of the Rig that is currently-selected. This allows you to adjust the relative volume of a given rig/profile, in relation to another. In other words, if one particular profile/rig is noticeably lower in volume compared to another...bring up the Volume. Once you are happy with the results, remember to SAVE/STORE, as this is a new setting.

As Vibrocroce has noted, you do have to be cognizant of levels, and avoid clipping.

The Master Volume is a global control, which increases the over-all volume of the KPA output signal, and affects all rigs/profiles. Therefore, the Master Volume is the main control you want to be fiddling with, to raise and lower your Kemper Profiling Amp's volume...protect those ears! :thumbup:

Cheers,
    John

Edited 4 times, last by Tritium ().

• [quote='billbixby','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/25984-Well-I-do-need-a-NPD-thread/?postID=268846#post268846']Once you are happy with the results, remember to SAVE/STORE, as this is a new setting.

Cheers,
    John

THIS - I probably do this now more often than I should when setting up performances, but that one time I forgot and lost a ton of work got me in the habit. You can tweak different slot settings without having to save a performance, but I recommend getting in the habit regardless. Better to have lost a few seconds saving than an hour forgetting to...