So you say tone is in the fingers?

• Have a look to this recent interview to Paul Gilbert, begging pardon for his old music when he tried just to be fast, without any feeling and "out" of music:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes Paul certainly has made a journey from his shredding days! I guess many of us do that, the only difference is that he does everything extremely well..! (may it be shredding or writing pop songs)

Thanks again for the kind words!

• Great lesson and really slick playing! Only thing I would add is palm muting techniques. Wish I could add it but I rarely analyze what I do, I know I use them a lot in solos as well as rythym. You got me thinking now, thank you!

• Great lesson and really slick playing! Only thing I would add is palm muting techniques. Wish I could add it but I rarely analyze what I do, I know I use them a lot in solos as well as rythym. You got me thinking now, thank you!

For sure palm muting is very useful! It could be classified as picking dynamics though - as it can be used to play really softly. Thanks! :D

• Brilliant vid Kris :) It took me more than 10 years to figure what you resumed in the vid ... Slow playing , having a goal, never play without vibrato , slides and hammer / PO , singing the lead in your head ... Pretty well summed and strangely it also applies to love :thumbup: You did not mention the hybrid picking you're using here , I think It's also a great part of your tone, not to be neglected IMHO.

Same for me - this experience is hard earned under a long period!

Hybrid picking definitely offers different tonal qualities - and I guess it could be classified as yet a technique to generate different picking dynamics / tonalities. Thanks again! :D

• Hey KD
    Great video and great tone!
    I agree with all your tips (playing slowly, with pauses, building a climax etc...) but these are easier to apply to a slow "emotional" backing track, than to high speed death metal, what do you think?
    On a side note, if tone is in the fingers, and great players will sound the same with different equipment, we don't need kempers, do we? ^^

• OK ! packs are now updated with 'THE RIG' used on Krid video. It's a very good rig , very close to early Van Halen brown sound on my solid body.

Both Humbucker pack & Bundle Pack now have the rig in the bonus directory . All I did was evening the CAB volume in order to maintain the levels up to the other ones from my pack.

Here is the name of the profile : ATM.HB.drive.KrisD.RG6

You will find the rig in my store HERE

Kudos TO KD for providing his tweaks !!

• Nice! Also, please note I have pure cabinet set on 5.4 for this rig.

• I agree with all your tips (playing slowly, with pauses, building a climax etc...) but these are easier to apply to a slow "emotional" backing track, than to high speed death metal, what do you think?^^

Yes the advice is def more geared towards the kind of playing in the video. Some of it you can apply on any genre though.

On a side note, if tone is in the fingers, and great players will sound the same with different equipment, we don't need kempers, do we? ^^

We need it because it responds so well to what our fingers are doing :) Thanks for the kind comment btw!

• Hey KD
    Great video and great tone!
    I agree with all your tips (playing slowly, with pauses, building a climax etc...) but these are easier to apply to a slow "emotional" backing track, than to high speed death metal, what do you think?

no, you don't need it if you have that kind of hands. You'll be that kind of guitar player regardless.
    Eddie Van Halen and Vai, or Satriani don't have the kpa....nevertheless they play like they play.

on the other hand the kpa is a very unique tool which helps us to achieve that killer sound we need to express ourselves...like KD one.

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I think the term "the tone is in the fingers" is a little too general. It very much depends on the style of music, the amount of gain and the wheter you are talking melody or rhythm playing. There is a huge difference between a nice blues solo and metal high gain riffing. Have decent two players perform a mellow blues track with a mild crunch tone and the results will be completely different. Have two decent players perform a metal rhythm track, and the results might be exactly the same.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Tyler,
    we're not talking about specific way of playing. as a matter of fact playing is not rhythm only. what I mean is playing as a whole: rhythm, fast and slow solo, expression, dynamics, and so on.

as a final word on it I'm not saying every guitar player has the tone dependant by his/her hands. But I know for certain that who ever has that kind of hands, which has passed countless hours on the instrument, has the tone in the hands. this is a certainty which I saw with my eyes and hear...not a theory.

EDIT:
    saw the video....and that's what I meant: it is a bogus test. Of course, if I want to prove this all I have to do is making 10 players play a chord. a suitable test would have been to make the three guys play an entire song, with an intro, verse, chorus, a solo, and so on...

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I think the term "the tone is in the fingers" is a little too general. It very much depends on the style of music, the amount of gain and the wheter you are talking melody or rhythm playing. There is a huge difference between a nice blues solo and metal high gain riffing. Have decent two players perform a mellow blues track with a mild crunch tone and the results will be completely different. Have two decent players perform a metal rhythm track, and the results might be exactly the same.

You are right."The tone is in the fingers" doesn't work for metal rhythm tracks. For that kind of music it doesn't even matter which guitar you are playing: alder, ash, basswood, maple, rosewood, korina, mahogany... who cares? Just a lot of gain with a good amount of technique and you are done.

• But I know for certain that who ever has that kind of hands, which has passed countless hours on the instrument, has the tone in the hands.

Listen Jeff Beck, no matter what guitar and what amplifier he plays, you know it's him and nobody can copy.
    In fact, I never have heard him playing heavy metal ;)

keep rockin' Harry

• Same old debate... :) though I think it's easy:

I think noone would doubt that gear has influence on tone.
    As well as noone would doubt that fingers have influence on how tone comes out of gear.

Now, the more experienced (unique) a player is in tone, vibrato etc., the more does that factor of the overall sound become relevant in our overall perception - and therefore it does finally outweigh gear as a factor. And so fingers become THE factor.

So, in short: From starting guitar to mastering it, that factor increases. Maybe kinda like this (still don't know how to attach pics correctly):

Images

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited 2 times, last by Fireloogie ().

• It could be that the thread title could be interpreted somewhat misleading.

The video is not arguing against a good playing technique.
    For me, the most important statement is to make a plan before create a solo, of what I want to express - how can I make my solo impressively.
    The playing technique is certainly important, but to present them at the highest level, is not the most important criterium for a good solo.
    It was explained by using a dynamic profile
    So it reaches indeed the main topic in this forum. KPA and rigs.
    I do not believe that the video was made especially for this forum, but serves as an example of a specific profile.

The video gives also a few suggestions, how to build a good solo. This I appreciated very much.
    To think about helps to develope a good solo while rehearsal.
    For a gig you must have internalized all before. One can then only use what one has achieved before.

keep rockin' Harry

External Content www.youtube.com

Yes to a certain extent I agree with this.

When you add more distortion/compression into the equation the finger paramater is not quite as important. But even with a high gain sound differences in picking dynamics will affect the tone, inspite of the compression effect.

Another thing to consider is hand sync, which has a big impact on tone. I didn't mention it in the video but I personally prefer when the left hand not only hits the note slightly before the picking hand (as it should be) - but I actually like the left hand to produce a note, a split second before the right hand picks the string. This creates a doubling effect impossible to achieve via software/delay - and I think most people are unaware of this phenomenon. I believe this is part of the secret of Eric Johnson's tone.

This is (a really old!) lesson that showcases how to practice it (please bare in mind the effect is completely exaggerated for practicing purposes). So to clarify: the doubling effect you hear is NOT achieved with delay:
    http://www.guitarmasterclass.n…itar/fake-picking-lesson/