So you say tone is in the fingers?

I don't think it's possible to tackle completely new styles every day and sound good - but for progress it is immensely beneficial.

KD

Yes.And not only for "playing your instrument" but more so for writing your own music.In the last few years I made this strange (at first) expirience that my whole playing got to "mechanical".Even my vibrato´s and bendings.Just "out of the brain" but I did not "felt it".Not the way when I was a young musician and I felt every single nore,vibrato/bending I played.Lots of endorphines back then.. 8o;) ...after "loosing that" years later I really was depressed.There is no way to "practice" to "play with feeling....again"..

The simple solution was that all the things I learned about technique,theory and most of all "feeling" must be in a certain relation,in a context to THE song..or at least to a theme/melody.And this song/melody must be so strong that the "lust for playing" awakens every time you play this song..because you love the song and not the guitar you play at this song (hope I made myself clear here..ugh..).I guess this is the common thing we guitar players have with singers btw..

For me personally this is the key.And the "new things" we can learn about "other kinds of music" strange grooves (alá 11/8,9/8 etc) and more variations in music theory/scales MUST be also help you to make better music.By this I mean songs/melodoes that really (and I mean really!) express myself and are not "in service of my ego"...

Sad enough that todays rock music is so "poor".Yes it got faster,louder,and what ever but.. :/
    Jazz and most of all classical music have become "dogma" with really new,wild ideas are mostly "forbidden".

For me it is a drama that so few people today recognize for example how far bands like Led Zep went in integrating other music styles into rock music "with out sweat"..todays musicians will try to copy Kashmir or the groove of Black Dog.Just a few examples of so many from the 60s/70s music.Sad enough but todays musicians will not try to find "the roots" from where these bands back then took all these influences.Even all the "hints" legends like Page/Plant gave to all the musicians later in the 90s playing witbh all these musicians from various parts of the world did not ring a bell.Sad.And for me a drama.Because todays Rock music leads nowhere..

• I remember back when Kris was teaching how to play Metallica tracks on the wee-ol-intranets back in the early 2000's. He was an inspiration and a mentor to me back then and 10 year's on I've progressed greatly and I still thank Kris for adding humour to the monotonous task of learning.

• Being from Texas and listening to the Revered Mr. Gibbons for a few decades now, I still remember what he said many years ago and it hold true even today. He said "You don't have to be the best one..., just be a good un"... Spank the plank... :D

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I think this masterclass can totally change the way you play music, and you don't have to be a jazz pianist to understand it, as it relates to everyone.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Un3p614XExc

I have been watching this one in increments, and i am probably half way through. It contains amazing advice!

There is one part where I feel I would be a bit careful - and it's about dividing your time between practicing (left brain half) and playing (right brain half).

I don't do any of the the strict practicing anymore - I make sure anything I do is musical. So if I want to practice changes i try to find a musical/enjoyable way to do it. Same goes if I want to improve my timing or picking technique etc.

In the beginning it is probably necessary to do a little bit of the boring practicing though - but my recommendation would be to move away from that asap.

Things might be a little different if your into jazz and want to be able to instantaneously read and improvise of sheet music though (I don't do any of that).

Edited once, last by KD ().

• The simple solution was that all the things I learned about technique,theory and most of all "feeling" must be in a certain relation,in a context to THE song..or at least to a theme/melody.And this song/melody must be so strong that the "lust for playing" awakens every time you play this song..because you love the song and not the guitar you play at this song (hope I made myself clear here..ugh..).I guess this is the common thing we guitar players have with singers btw..

For me personally this is the key.And the "new things" we can learn about "other kinds of music" strange grooves (alá 11/8,9/8 etc) and more variations in music theory/scales MUST be also help you to make better music.By this I mean songs/melodoes that really (and I mean really!) express myself and are not "in service of my ego"...

I couldn't agree more! Simply put: Don't play anything just "because" - play it because you think sounds good over whatever song / backing track you're working on.

• I remember back when Kris was teaching how to play Metallica tracks on the wee-ol-intranets back in the early 2000's. He was an inspiration and a mentor to me back then and 10 year's on I've progressed greatly and I still thank Kris for adding humour to the monotonous task of learning.

Cheers man you rock! :D Thanks for the support!

Being from Texas and listening to the Revered Mr. Gibbons for a few decades now, I still remember what he said many years ago and it hold true even today. He said "You don't have to be the best one..., just be a good un"... Spank the plank... :D

Very true, because in music there is no such thing as 'best'. So whoever is trying to be best is not competing with you, because he/she is not even in the same business! :D

• Very true, because in music there is no such thing as 'best'.

I think the best can not get better anymore - a boring situation :whistling:
    Seriously, there is always one who is better at a certain field
    Music is not a competition. Only musicians could be competitors, but who really could judge?

Try my best to become better ;) - Harry