So you say tone is in the fingers?

• I have been having a lot of fun with a killer commercial profile from Valve Theory. Waraba told me he wanted to include my tweaked version in his profile pack - and then it struck me:

If tone is in the fingers - then why don't people explain what their fingers are actually doing? Why does it have to be a mystery?

So that is what I tried to do here. In other words: if you follow my advice in the video, and use the same profile, hopefully it will get you as close as possible to this tone.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

P.S. if most of the tone lies in the fingers, then maybe you don't even need to use the same profile..? Either way, I hope you enjoy the video :)

EDIT: This rig is now on the Rig Exchange: ATM.HB.drive.KrisD.RG6

Edited 2 times, last by KD ().

• Thanks for this nice lesson. :thumbup:
    Sometime it's good to be reminded, that to play music the head is a very important tool and not the mood.
    Simple rules help to keep the major items in mind.

keep rockin' Harry

• Thanks for this nice lesson. :thumbup:
    Sometime it's good to be reminded, that to play music the head is a very important tool and not the mood.
    Simple rules help to keep the major items in mind.

keep rockin' Harry

Well put - that's what it's about. Thanks! :D

• Great to find you here, Kris! Been enyoing your Youtube vids for a while. This is another great one, keep it up :thumbup:

Greetz

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Brilliant vid Kris :) It took me more than 10 years to figure what you resumed in the vid ... Slow playing , having a goal, never play without vibrato , slides and hammer / PO , singing the lead in your head ... Pretty well summed and strangely it also applies to love :thumbup: You did not mention the hybrid picking you're using here , I think It's also a great part of your tone, not to be neglected IMHO.

I asked Kris to send me the profiles used in this vid mainly because the original one ( the lead.Scofield) was tweaked for hollow body guitars (by Fausto on his 335) and a modern solid body tweak is a good addition to my pack.

I'll update the humbucker pack with this one ASAP, but it's another variation of the Lead.70's profile , my best lead profile so far. The dynamics of this profile made it my main reference when comparing to other new profiles, it's really something. FI Same qualities are fount in the HB.clean.main and SC.clean.full.

Thanks again Kris & Fausto

• Beautiful video and amazing jamming.
    Tone is 90% in the fingers... and you have great fingers! :thumbup:
    Is your secret in that brown wool sleeve that you wear in your left arm? :wacko:

Have a look to this recent interview to Paul Gilbert, begging pardon for his old music when he tried just to be fast, without any feeling and "out" of music:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I guess it's just warming to avoid or even to cure some kind of injury ?(

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I'll update the humbucker pack with this one ASAP, but it's another variation of the Lead.70's profile , my best lead profile so far. The dynamics of this profile made it my main reference when comparing to other new profiles, it's really something. FI Same qualities are fount in the HB.clean.main and SC.clean.full.

Agreed - it is my favorite profile so far without a doubt!

Beautiful video and amazing jamming.
    Tone is 90% in the fingers... and you have great fingers! :thumbup:
    Is your secret in that brown wool sleeve that you wear in your left arm? :wacko:

Hehe the secret is my wife's leg warmer (shh still not sure she noticed I stole it from her). It seems to help me relax and stay warmed up. Thanks! :D

• that of the tone in the fingers, aka hands, is not an opinion of some phiylosophy maniac guitar player.
    It is a fact. Maybe not concerning the whole community of guitar players of the world. But still it is what happens when you reach a certain level of expertiese.

I have personally witnessed this, since I knew personally Steve Vai and got to hang out with him in several context, that no matter what he played, amp or pedal wise, the sound coming out was exactly the same. in a clinic he asked me for a wah pedal and only could give him a vox wah which sounded precisely like his morley. How do you call this?

of course, I back up the fact that those hands have to be good and had to have made several years on the instrument. But it is as it is. Eddie Van Halen was like this, Vai told me that. Think it is a credible witness too, I guess!

and yes, I firmly believe that it doesn't matter what profile you're using. Naturally: cannot play solos on a clean profile! but when a guitar player reaches that level of expertise he/she looks for that sound which fits the hands....and eventually they'll get it.

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• External Content www.youtube.com

Stay Metal!

• External Content www.youtube.com

Stay Metal!

100% agree on this - I couldn't post video on cover or anything if I am not perfect on it.

• I have been having a lot of fun with a killer commercial profile from Valve Theory. Waraba told me he wanted to include my tweaked version in his profile pack

Nice vid! Which of the Valve Theory profiles were you using on the intro?

• I agree with the tone is in the fingers, I know a lot of my guitar playing buddys sound the way they do through any guitar and any amp. I know I sound the same also. I read on here where Eddie Van Halen was trying out Steve Vai's guitar gear and Steve Vai though Eddie had changed his settings coz he sounded like Eddie :)

I don't doubt tone lies in the fingers. But it can be tweaked just like a profile - although this is not often discussed. So that's why I recorded the instructional content along with the profile demo!