ToneDexter

• Basically it is a matching eq, isn't it?

It seems like an EQ match/IR type of thing, sure. I know there are some acoustic profiles out there... I wonder if they would do a similar sort of thing using a pickup instead of a mic (internal or external)? For instance, I have a Breedlove acoustic that has a piezo and a mic, and you can blend the two. The piezo sounds... well, it sounds great for a piezo, but the mic sounds amazing. However, I can't stop the feedback train on that mic - there's just so much feedback that I either have to really control every single thing I do very, very carefully, or blend in only a tiny amount (if any at all).

It's getting me thinking about micing up my acoustic, pushing that sound through a reference monitor, and then micing the monitor to create a profile, all while using the piezo pickup as my input on the Kemper. I bet it would work - I don't see why it wouldn't - the monitor would spit out a very flat response, and refining would capture more of the acoustic tone. Hmm...

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• It's getting me thinking about micing up my acoustic, pushing that sound through a reference monitor, and then micing the monitor to create a profile, all while using the piezo pickup as my input on the Kemper. I bet it would work - I don't see why it wouldn't - the monitor would spit out a very flat response, and refining would capture more of the acoustic tone. Hmm...

this would give you a Profile of your mic'ed monitor, nothing else.
    Totally clean Profiles don't need refinement. Refining is not a matchEQ, it helps the Profiler to capture more details of the characteristic Compression/Distortion - in a totally clean Profile there by definition none.

• Basically it is a matching eq, isn't it?

Taken from GS forum from one of the guys behind the project,

It is not modelling, in the sense that most people use the term. There is no model that is imposed on the pickup signal. Rather, during training, the algorithm learns all the body resonances that the mic hears, which manifest as both frequency and time phenomena, and that the pickup does not have access to from its vantage point. ToneDexter builds a transform filter, which we call a WaveMap, and applies it to the pickup signal, and this restores almost all of what the mic heard during training.

Could you do this with an EQ? Not practically, due to the 30 to 100 or more adjustment in both magnitude and phase that would have to be made to merely approximate that sound of your guitar's body.

• It does :)
    My wife and I were just talking last night, about how a piano is considered a percussion instrument, but not the guitar. So much for that!

I was also struck by that categorization when I first heard it. But after hearing Duke Elllington's style of piano, I can see why and where it shines. He definitely had a percussive attack and a percussively and directionally conductive way of playing to his band, always under them, supportive, unless doing a solo. Just love it. And of course, there is always Beethoven! Who wouldn't call his piano sonata's "percussive" haha.

That said, as it goes for Acoustic Guitar, I heard this at Harry's in Raleigh one time and it blew me away at how present and right it sounded for an acoustic guitar: Fishman SA220

Since the speaker system is such an important part, this thread would be good if going to house, but if you need to bring your own speakers, that's a similarly priced solution. Of course, the ToneDexter is 1/2 off if you pledge now, but it's still unproven.

• this would give you a Profile of your mic'ed monitor, nothing else.
    Totally clean Profiles don't need refinement. Refining is not a matchEQ, it helps the Profiler to capture more details of the characteristic Compression/Distortion - in a totally clean Profile there by definition none.

Right. And it would capture a completely (or almost completely) flat profile. But once refinement kicks in, wouldn't, after a few times through, it notice there's a difference between the Piezo (direct in) and the sound coming out of the speaker (a mic'd sound), and adjust accordingly?

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack