Going back to guitar cab

• I tried frfr but after three gigs with them I'm going back to a guitar cab.
    Most of the time I 'm using five or six profiles from clean to overdrive and my Bogner cab is much more "guitar" like compared to the harsh-trebly-jingle bells Frfr sound to me.
    A lot of users like the MBritt profiles and if I'm correct, he is playing live also with Classic 80 cabs ?
    I guess I'm not the only one that;s having problems with FRFR ? I can't help myself keeping on tweaking knobs instead of playing guitar .
    Its not sounding bad but just more natural and more easy with a guitar cab to me...

• I've gone back and forth over the years with the kemper... Come to find out I just gotta have that cab on stage behind me, even (mostly actually) turned around, regardless if I'm on ears or wedges... To me it's fine because I know exactly to the T what my profiles sound like going thru the FOH, so this is fine for me personally.

• I have an old EVM 12L which was always pretty 'clean'. It sounds great with the power head

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I guess YMMV as always ^^

Im using two CLR's and love the KPA sounds Im getting. And Im not running any extra EQ.. But then the quest for the holy grail of tone is indeed everlasting.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I tried frfr but after three gigs with them I'm going back to a guitar cab.
    Most of the time I 'm using five or six profiles from clean to overdrive and my Bogner cab is much more "guitar" like compared to the harsh-trebly-jingle bells Frfr sound to me.
    A lot of users like the MBritt profiles and if I'm correct, he is playing live also with Classic 80 cabs ?
    I guess I'm not the only one that;s having problems with FRFR ? I can't help myself keeping on tweaking knobs instead of playing guitar .
    Its not sounding bad but just more natural and more easy with a guitar cab to me...

I'm considering buying the Mission Engineering Gemini !! active 2x12 cab because it has the ability to be either FRFR or GRFR (guitar cab) OR a combination of both. I just started a thread here on this cab to get some opinions before I buy one. It seems to me to be a great option for someone (like me) who wants to get a more live guitar feel and sound but still retain as much of the FRFR (Cab Sim) capabilities as possible. You may want to look into this option. The price is steep but Musicians friend is running 20% off right now and that would make it $1199 instead of $1499 which I think is a really good deal considering its a 2x12 FRFR/GRFR system. Also has some other bells and whistles like USB connectivity (or even Bluetooth but the bluetooth option is extra $$) to your MAC/PC in case you also use BIAS or Scuffham etc amp sims. You can play it through this cab as well. Just a thought since I am looking at the same option (or similar) as you.

• Going back to Cabs again is a nice move. The Profiler is made for this.

However, before switching, did you try the new Pure Cabinet function?
    It will significantly improve the perceived sound quality when using linear speakers and eliminate the "harsh-trebly-jingle bells" effect. (Which is the perfect description for the close mic effect.

It would be great if you could give a feedback about Pure Cabinet on this thread.

• It would be great if you could give a feedback about Pure Cabinet on this thread.

Hi
    I think Pure Cab is a nice addition, but personnally I still struggle to find tones I like with my FRFR (studio monitors or speakers).
    With a guitar cab, I find that pretty much any profile will sound good, meaning like a real tube amp next to me.
    My favorite rigs before pure cab were those were the mic trace was the least present. So Pure Cab didn't change much for these rigs.
    Now with the many commercial offerings, it's easier to find tones I like with my frfr, but otherwise I think many studio profiles sound really bad, even with pure cab. Maybe they need a specific mix to shine. Again, I don't have this problem with a real guitar cab.

@ckemper On a side note, many commercial vendors won't sell Merged profiles, because they say Studio profiles sound better. Are they doing something wrong? (I haven't tried myself) I'd love to have your opinion, CK!
    Thanks
    Matt