All in one Kemper pedalboard

• I love everything about the Kemper except that it isn't a pedalboard. I have the unpowered head. I want to get the Remote, but I'm holding out hope that Kemper will release a pedalboard version. The technology is already there. Since they already developed the Remote, all they have to do is design a case that puts everything in the KPA and Remote together. The unpowered head is extremely awkward, as it looks silly sitting on my pedalboard and takes up a really large amount of real estate, and doesn't sit right on my Pedal train pedal board. But where else does it make sense to put it? Everything else I use live belongs on my pedalboard, currently my FCB1010, Eventide H9, Line6 m5, shure wireless system, power strip, and Voodoo lab pedal power supply. If I leave it on my board, I can leave all the cables plugged in and just pick my pedalboard up. Thankfully these days, I never take my gear out of my church, as I'm a full-time worship director. Otherwise, I'd have to pull it all apart every

The toaster format only makes sense if it is powered and you are using it with a traditional guitar cabinet. But mine is unpowered. I personally use mine with an in-ear system and no FRFR or guitar cab. But even if I did, what sense would it make for the toaster to be anywhere else but on my pedalboard? If If sit it next to my pedalboard, I would have to hook up cables to and from the effects loop, midi in out and thru, in addition to the guitar input and XLR output, and the power cord. That's 8 things I'd have to plug in, assuming I left the other ends of the cables plugged into wherever they go on my pedal board. The same issue would apply if I put my Kemper somewhere else than beside the pedalboard. But what would be the point? The unpowered toaster only makes sense if it is used on a desktop (when evaluating ergonomics only) However, even a pedalboard format could be used by itself and set on a desktop for editing. (I did this all the time when I had a Pod HD500)

• While I get your point, there are other scenarios than yours, where a pedal-KPA would not serve. Mine is sitting next to my desk and I can reach out for it to change settings on the fly. Even using FRFR monitors or a separate poweramp with guiitar cab, having the amp in reach is handy. Noone would wish for a Marshall in a pedal format, would they? Nevertheless, I see your point and there are a lot of people that would prefer a pedal-KPA obviously.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I see your point. But we already have a toaster for those people that prefer that set up. I my self would prefer that set up if I was doing more studio work and less live work. As for whether people would want a Marshall in pedal format, it isn't a fair comparison. A real tube amp with power tubes couldn't fit on pedal board, plus you'd still be using it with a real guitar cabinet. Plus sounding like an amp is the only thing a Marshall amp can do.

However, obviously there is a market for all-in-one products. That's why the Line6 Helix is attractive to some, being released in both a floor model and a rack model with floor controller. That's why axefx has a floor processor (albeit without amp modeling) and why Boss, digitech and other companies make such products. Yes, I know that some are cheaper and less professional sounding, but that reinforces my point.

There is a market of users that find all-in-one systems very useful but desire a professional non-compromise product. In particular, there is a growing market in the US for use in churches. That's why companies like Sweetwater are targeting that market. In the US, every small down has several modern churches with the desire to not be as loud as a rock concert, but play modern music, and also have a very clean-looking stage. Nothing looks cleaner than a guitar rig limited to a pedalboard. That's why, for a moment I considered the Helix. However, I just love the tone of my Kemper too much, and the built in effects I like too; they are very musical. What it can't do, I can get running an Eventide H9 in the effects loop.

• I see your point. But we already have a toaster for those people that prefer that set up. I my self would prefer that set up if I was doing more studio work and less live work. As for whether people would want a Marshall in pedal format, it isn't a fair comparison. A real tube amp with power tubes couldn't fit on pedal board, plus you'd still be using it with a real guitar cabinet. Plus sounding like an amp is the only thing a Marshall amp can do.

However, obviously there is a market for all-in-one products. That's why the Line6 Helix is attractive to some, being released in both a floor model and a rack model with floor controller. That's why axefx has a floor processor (albeit without amp modeling) and why Boss, digitech and other companies make such products. Yes, I know that some are cheaper and less professional sounding, but that reinforces my point.

There is a market of users that find all-in-one systems very useful but desire a professional non-compromise product. In particular, there is a growing market in the US for use in churches. That's why companies like Sweetwater are targeting that market. In the US, every small down has several modern churches with the desire to not be as loud as a rock concert, but play modern music, and also have a very clean-looking stage. Nothing looks cleaner than a guitar rig limited to a pedalboard. That's why, for a moment I considered the Helix. However, I just love the tone of my Kemper too much, and the built in effects I like too; they are very musical. What it can't do, I can get running an Eventide H9 in the effects loop.

You're right - I did'nt read properly. Both applications can be very useful of course. In the scenario you were describing an all-in-one footboard is probably the best solution, no doubt.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• There are little things I'm noticing about the Helix that occasionally make me think of the Kemper. Patch switching lag, no global L/R balance control so I have to balance my vocal and guitar levels within each patch, USB audio acting wonky due to El Capitan, glitchy pitch shifting. But overall I'm still happy I switched. If Kemper comes out with a floor version, you can bet I'm going to take a very close look at it!

And thanks for the kind words. I'll still be checking in from time to time. Happy Holidays to everyone!

• I look forward to those occasions when you do, Ben.

In the meantime, I'm putting' my money on a return to Kemper Land. I can get 2 : 1 from my local bookie down the street on this one, so I stand to make a lazy 10¢ for the paltry investment of 10¢.

Already got my eye on a banana that a local vendor promised to separate from a bunch should I win...

• I have to agree with a lot of what has been posted previously. If Kemper made a floor-based unit that excludes profiling (but allows them to be used) and has basic effects, I can't see how it wouldn't dominate the market if the price point were competitive. It certainly would appeal to those of use who want to use a Kemper mainly for live use. Frankly, I'm too old and busy to be tweaking, programming and the like. I'd love a product that sounds great out of the box plugged directly to a PA or FRFR powered cabinet.

• Frankly, I'm too old and busy to be tweaking, programming and the like. I'd love a product that sounds great out of the box plugged directly to a PA or FRFR powered cabinet.

Not sure I'm following you RocDoc: If a rig sounds good is this hypothetical floor player, why shouldn't it sound as good in the Profiler. And, if it sounds bad... well...

• What I meant was I'm not interested in buying a modeler that requires lots of tweaking and programming, such as what I've heard from those that own competing products. A floorboard unit that can receive rigs from the Rig Exchange would be monumental!

• Must have for me!

Even less gear to carry!
    Less cabling on stage!

But I hope no sacrafices in functionality and controls. It's perfect at the moment. Should remain easy accesable and no deep dive menu's

• That's why if I were designing it, I'd make it identical to the unpowered head + remote. From a price standpoint, it wouldn't be any cheaper from Kemper's end to design a floor product that couldn't profile. In fact, it would be more expensive for them, as they'd have to design and support two different products. An all-in-one that essentially is just the guts, knobs and jacks of the profiler and the guts knobs and jacks and footswitches of the Remote crammed into a single ergonomic floorboard. From a programming and firmware standpoint, it would be identical to a unpowered head or rack with a remote connected. And therefore, the only development they'd need to do is to design the metal frame that would hold everything inside the unpowered KPA and remote, and all their knobs, jacks, and screens. At most, certain wiring would need to be a little longer and shorter so that it could reach the placement knobs and jacks on the floorboard, which might be nearer or farer than their current location from the circuit boards.