Daw fx pre-kemper

• Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody here has tried to use daw's software effects pre-kemper (i.e. Guitar -> logic pro guitar fx like overdrive pedals -> kemper). Is this possible? And if so, how does it sound like, especially with distortion type of effects? There are many daw software fx options that can be used as pre-kemper input.

• Theoretically it should be no different from using the equivalent FX in stomp from.

The only difference might be that you're (usually) limited to the output-level range of your audio interface. If you need more juice than you have feeding the usual reamp input on the rear of the unit, I'm guessing here, but sending the signal to the front input, where guitar-level signals are the expected "norm", might enable you to extract a little more oomph than what may otherwise be the case from a given rig.

Other than for that possible shortcoming, which I'd expect wouldn't manual-titty-fest as being relevant in most situations, you should be good to go... for it!

EDIT: These "</p>" additions incessant-titty-tasting my having to edit every post are becoming just a little anal-knawing... I mean, annoying. Geez, I've really gotta get a handle on my linguistic edumacation. :/

• Haha, is "manual-titty-fest" a product of auto-correct?

I will test this workflow both through reamp input and front input and post some sounds here - hopefully soon. I am surprised nobody so far have come up and said "of course this has been done". There are so many DAW plugins out there, this could lead to so many creative sounds.

I am especially excited to see how Kemper interacts with a digitally-processed input.

• If I'm understanding what you would be trying to do (which I assume is to use the DAW in real time as you're playing the guitar), I think it would still depend upon the speed with which a signal can get into the DAW, processed, and back out. Certainly worth a try.

• Agreed. The difference between using the analogue and digital connections on the Kemper, latency-wise, would be in the order of 1ms or thereabouts - hardly significant.

The trick will be for dbidder to do whatever he needs to do to minimise throughput latency, such as pre-mix rendering and bypassing plug-ins.

• My purpose is to use the Logic pro guitar effects plugins (guitar stomp boxes like various overdrives etc.) as an input to Kemper. I agree that the latency could be the issue here. I will investigate if it is possible to bypass the premix rendering in Logic. Thanks guys.