Andertons video: Amplifire with Victory cab vs Yamaha DXR 12 vs Atomic CLR

• I thought this might be of interest to some of you

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Start at 8:27 Friedman HBE - Yamaha sounds horrible in my opinion...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Start at 8:27 Friedman HBE - Yamaha sounds horrible in my opinion...

I didn't like it through any option, though. The preset just sounded bad to my ears.

• To me the problem with this video as a listener is that we always get biased a bit by the first example which is the victory amp/cab which to me doesn't sound darker at all (like the Captain states here) but brighter and in comparison more fresh than the other two options.
    The DXR 12 in comparison lsounds like with a blanket thrown over, very dull.
    I don't know anything about the real room sound of course, but personally, knowing the CLR and the little brother of the DXR 12 (the DXR 10) first hand I'd have not accepted a recording of both that sounds as muffled as this (OK the CLR sounds decent but far from what you can expect when you have an in-the-room experience with it).
    I have the impression that despite what they wanted to achieve the miking was not room miking at all but more miking the beam of the victory cab in the first place.

• To me the problem with this video as a listener is that we always get biased a bit by the first example which is the victory amp/cab which to me doesn't sound darker at all (like the Captain states here) but brighter and in comparison more fresh than the other two options.
    The DXR 12 in comparison sounds like with a blanket thrown over, very dull.
    I don't know anything about the real room sound of course, but personally, knowing the CLR and the little brother of the DXR 12 (the DXR 10) first hand I'd have not accepted a recording of both that sounds as muffled as this (OK the CLR sounds decent but far from what you can expect when you have an in-the-room experience with it).
    I have the impression that despite what they wanted to achieve the miking was not room miking at all but more miking the beam of the victory cab in the first place.

I thought the same after hearing comparison of Friedman HBE

The DXR 12 in comparison lsounds like with a blanket thrown over, very dull.

I agree with you Ingolf.
    There is something wrong with the recorded sound.
    I am not sure what the problem was, as you can see with the Yamaha cab that they have put the two mics in front of that cab (they are barely visible at the bottom of the video screen) and I assume they did the same with the CLR.
    To me the Victory cab sound much brighter and fresher as both FRFR cabs.

Strange ... particularly as I feel that this video was made to promote the Atomic products which - much to my spurprise - can now be purchased from Andertons directly (the only source in Europe? Anyone?).
    I would have expected to be able to hear the "obvious difference" that Lee Anderton and Danish Pete talk about ... hmmm. :huh:?(

• Both "FRFR" solutions sounded dull. Probably it is the amplifier's fault ;)

I like the new chocolates from Verkade much better!

Don't they sell chocolates at Andertons?

• Yeah... agreed with most, this is a bad comparison. Mics add color to any sound - I don't care how "flat" or "pristine" it is, they all provide a different sound. Mic'ing a FRFR cab in a room setting that already has cab and mic simulations built in is going to result in exactly what we heard - a muffled, boxy, blanket-covered sound. You get the same effect if you record a video at a concert - it just doesn't sound as clean and clear as it does live.

My initial thought was the DXR was significantly too bass heavy, but their mics are pointed toward the woofer, missing the tweeter altogether. The Atomic sounds a little better, but the tube amp sounds like it should. I knew something was off though. And, when hearing him say that the Atomic sounded the clearest, when it was almost as muddy and boomy as the DXR... it's proof that what you hear in a room doesn't even compare to how a mic picks it up.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack