What is your method of getting the bass response right when profiling?

• I konw this has been discussed before but I would like to know how to get the bass response right. It seem that profiles I make seem to lack bass response. I've tried palm mutes and playing some chord higher on the neck when refining but no success. Sometimes the low end is better but then there seem to be something wrong with the other frequencies. Without refining the bass is almost always a little weak. That is most noticeable when using a 7 string guitar.

• In my experience, sometimes something is missing in the lows and sometimes don't. I don't know how to refine the profile to match the missing lows...

This seems to be quite common problem. In those A/B tests where I'm able to tell the KPA apart from the real amp, it's almost always the bass response that makes the difference.

• Are you sure you people are not hearing the combined effect of the microphone and the live amp?

Hi! My amp is always in a different room when profiling and you can notice the difference in the lows in a recorded clip of both the real amp and the KPA.

• I´ve heard many users complain about those bass problems. I have been using the KPA since 4 years now and probably created like 20,000 profiles. Never had any problems with this. And my monitoring setup surely would reveal such problems. Perhaps check the following points:

1. Use a separate recording and monitoring room. The only way to really hear what you are doing. If you think that this is not possible get some wireless devices and place the setup inside the bathroom ;)
    2. Don´t profile too loud. Poweramp distortion is a problem for the KPA and could also produce clipping inside later parts of the audio chain
    3. Leave enough headroom, especially when using mixers or preamps inside the audio chain. The profiling signal can produce heavy signal levels in the low end
    4. Try to avoid coloration by outboard gear. Tube based mic preamps or compressors might by a great choice inside a studio but for profiling i found them contraproductive. Compressors are not your friend here.

• I´ve heard many users complain about those bass problems. I have been using the KPA since 4 years now and probably created like 20,000 profiles. Never had any problems with this. And my monitoring setup surely would reveal such problems. Perhaps check the following points:

1. Use a separate recording and monitoring room. The only way to really hear what you are doing. If you think that this is not possible get some wireless devices and place the setup inside the bathroom ;)
    2. Don´t profile too loud. Poweramp distortion is a problem for the KPA and could also produce clipping inside later parts of the audio chain
    3. Leave enough headroom, especially when using mixers or preamps inside the audio chain. The profiling signal can produce heavy signal levels in the low end
    4. Try to avoid coloration by outboard gear. Tube based mic preamps or compressors might by a great choice inside a studio but for profiling i found them contraproductive. Compressors are not your friend here.

Thank you for your advice! I'm already taking those points into account.

The KPA cannot clone every amp. Maybe that's the cause... Some settings work well, some don't. Or maybe I'm trying to get a tone too fat when micing... But some mixes require that fat tone...

Edited once, last by pacocito ().