Can't delete folders

• Mac El Cap, latest revision of Rig Manager.

I've made some new folders in my local library but can't delete them.

Renaming them seems pretty flakey, too.

Any clues?

• When you right-click on them, is the option to remove / delete them not there, greyed-out or just non-functional?

Now why didn't I think of that before asking? Probably because no other Mac app works that way!

Of course I could have let my eye wander down the list when I was making new folders but no, I had to pretend I knew what I was doing because I'm an expert. :)

Thanks.

skoczy. There should be places where we can pay to throw broken computers against walls as a kind of 21st century therapy.

• Now why didn't I think of that before asking? Probably because no other Mac app works that way!

Objection your honor!
    Finder ?!!! RM mimics Finder - I select, right-click, delete (move to trash) all the time on my Mac!

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Interesting. I've only been able to create and not delete folders that way since, I don't know, OS8.9?

Currently on OSX 10.9.2, so I'm guessing you're on a later version that's introduced that option. Is this correct, bigHF?

I stand corrected. I just checked and if I first select a folder, there's the option to "Move to Trash".

I reckon the OP's perspective has been influenced, as often happens on a Mac, by the fact that one tends to drag-and-drop or point-and-click ones way around the place, whereas, at least from what I've seen in the past, the Windoze Way™ appears to have historically involved much more copying and pasting to achieve similar things. Just a thought...

• I really don't know - I have been using so many OSses over the years ... The introduction of the context menu on Windows happened around the release of Excel 5 I believe - which was in the mid 90s. But I knew it from Nextstep (which was an Apple spin off) and I believe that it was a feature of the original Xerox OS - where both Gates and Jobs stole ideas from.

I have never been a drag and drop guy - Apple Mail is also right click -> delete - but it has its benefits - esp. when you work with multiple Windows or programs at the same time.
    Dragging items to the trash can never seemed like one to me though. I still prefer the keyboard and the use of short cuts for simple tasks within a program. So "select" the item(s) and CMD+Backspace is it for me in RM (works in Finder & Apple mail too).

btw: cmd+backspace is documented on page 24 (keyboard shortcuts) of the manual - you get there with cmd+? - LOL

Enough smartassing on christmas eve. ;)
    Happy Holidays!

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Oh, I agree, bigHF.

I was thinking mainly of folder and file copying I s'pose. I've not ever copied / pasted them on a Mac - always dragged and dropped when adding to iTunes or RM and so on, or option-dragging to duplicate or just click-dragging to new locations. I'm a point-and-click guy whenever it's quickest.

Oh, and I've always been a command-delete guy for trashing (quicker in this case), like you, followed all-too-quickly by shift-command-delete most of the time, much to my occasional regret!

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, bigHF!

• Objection your honor!
    Finder ?!!! RM mimics Finder - I select, right-click, delete (move to trash) all the time on my Mac!

Delete, command delete, and dragging are finder routines, too, so Kemper only partially mimics the finder.

And only the routine I rarely use.

It's a conspiracy.

• command delete works in RM too! :)
    Also my "objection" was directed towards the remark - that "no other Mac app works that way".

I found command delete worked maybe once and then just didn't any more, making it all feel somewhat flakey. Even right click/delete only works some of the time, I've had to quit and reboot to get it working again.